Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So I’m watching the NFL Network and a show called Americas Game where it goes over each SB team throughout the years. The current episode is on the 1992 Dallas Muthafuckin Cowboys

Now I know this has been talked about before, but how in theeeee hell did Jimmy get the Vikings to give up 3 1st round picks, 3 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick, and five other players for one single player. Granted it was Hershal Walker. But JFC....

There isn’t a single player in the league right now that would warrant that kind of draft Capitol in a single trade

And that includes Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers

The great train robbery indeed!
03d2d1f7cc371322f3a24bfa27622bd5.jpg

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So I’m watching the NFL Network and a show called Americas Game where it goes over each SB team throughout the years. The current episode is on the 1992 Dallas Muthafuckin Cowboys

Now I know this has been talked about before, but how in theeeee hell did Jimmy get the Vikings to give up 3 1st round picks, 3 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick, and five other players for one single player. Granted it was Hershal Walker. But JFC....

There isn’t a single player in the league right now that would warrant that kind of draft Capitol in a single trade

And that includes Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers

The great train robbery indeed!
03d2d1f7cc371322f3a24bfa27622bd5.jpg

watching it now too, such a magical time it was and I soaked up almost every second of it. Its amazing all that success made jeri so fucking miserable he's made sure it will never happen again

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You Should Post More. Seriously.

They are showing the 1993 Cowboys now

Man, watching these two episodes is like reliving 1992-1993

It reminds me how great it was to be a Cowboy fan and watch as Jimmy took us from worst to first!

It felt like we were unstoppable and would be on top for ten years!

Little did we know it would be decades after the 1995 season and we would still be chasing that feeling with zero success

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That must have been a local commercial because I didn’t recognize it when they showed it during the special

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If you look at the inside of the band of Barry Switzer’s super bowl ring is it engraved with “compliments of Jimmy Johnson”?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
how in theeeee hell did Jimmy get the Vikings to give up 3 1st round picks, 3 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick, and five other players for one single player.
Because that isn't at all anything like what happened.

Here's the actual results of the trade - We gave up draft picks too:

Players/Draft Picks Received by the Minnesota Vikings

RB Herschel Walker
Dallas's 3rd round pick – 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
Dallas's 5th round pick – 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
Dallas's 10th round pick – 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
Dallas's 3rd round pick – 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Mike Lynn, the GM of the Vikings, was certain of three things: One, that Walker was the one piece missing from his team to make it a sure-fire Super Bowl winner. Two: Jones and Johnson were hayseeds who were in over their heads dealing with the Big Boys of the NFL. And three: Johnson was desperate for bodies and Lynn convinced himself he gave up some good ones. Lynn also had no idea Jimmy was sandbagging, using a couple of calls from the Browns inquiring about Walker as the carrot on the end of the stick. The "hayseed" also never had any interest in any of the players Lynn was giving him, only the draft picks attached to each of them if they didn't work out.

Lynn was convinced the players he was giving were better at their positions than anyone Jimmy had on his roster at the time and were a sure bet to stay on the Dallas roster.

Had it worked, had Walker indeed been the "missing piece" and had Lynn drafted some better players with all the Dallas picks he received and had the Vikings won the SB in 1989 and possibly 90, nobody would be talking about this trade even if Jimmy had parlayed it into three later Lombardis. It would have gone down in history as a win-win.

The Vikings weren't really a very good team though, and Walker grossly underperformed. Lynn's drafting was shit, meanwhile Ike Holt did make our roster and was a significant upgrade at his position for us.

Here's our side of it:

Players/Draft Picks Received by the Dallas Cowboys

LB Jesse Solomon
LB David Howard
CB Issiac Holt
RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
DE Alex Stewart
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon) – (12) (Alvin Harper)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard) – (38) (Dixon Edwards)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt) – (37) (Darren Woodson)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Nelson) – (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional on cutting Stewart) – (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)[1]

You'll note we STILL got the draft pick for Holt even after cutting him at the end of the 1992 season. And this also does NOT count what we wound up with after all the trading was done. Significantly, one of the trades led to us obtaining the first overall draft pick in 1991, which was used to draft Russell Maryland.

NONE of it matters if Jimmy doesn't use the picks appropriately, picking some all-world players. It doesn't matter how many picks you obtain, if you use them to pick scrubs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
91-93, what an amazing run.

It just seemed liked forever since we had been good and you could see the turnaround starting in Jimmy's 2nd yr (we won 4 straight to get to 7-7, only Aikman's shoulder injury in 15th game at Philly derailed a playoff season). I really think if it weren't for the salary cap and the idiot owner running off Jimmy, we might have won 6 or 8 super bowls.

Fast forward to today, when it REALLY has been forever since we were good.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
this was 1995 but still cool

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If they weren't re-aired, we'd have to adjust the tracking on our dusty VCRs to enjoy these games. That's how long it's been. Thanks Jerry.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If they weren't re-aired, we'd have to adjust the tracking on our dusty VCRs to enjoy these games. That's how long it's been. Thanks Jerry.

You can actually buy DVD's of a lot of the big games now. I have all the super bowl wins (even the one vs Miami, albeit not the same video quality as today) + some other big games. There's a few different Cowboy related sets you can buy now.

One set had all the super bowl wins + 92 & 93 championship game wins vs SF and a couple others.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
You can actually buy DVD's of a lot of the big games now. I have all the super bowl wins (even the one vs Miami, albeit not the same video quality as today) + some other big games. There's a few different Cowboy related sets you can buy now.

One set had all the super bowl wins + 92 & 93 championship game wins vs SF and a couple others.

I make DVDs with my sweetheart. We started out 4x3 but had to go 16x9 in recent years.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Those 92/93 seasons really reminded me what it was like to be a Cowboy fan, or at least why I’m a Cowboy fan. That was the best feeling to watch the team back then. I guess that’s why I stick with the team. I remember what it used to be like and I remember how I felt watching as we went all the way to win it all.

What I can’t understand is how there are soooooo many Cowboy fans that became fans well after the 95 season and still stick around with all this mediocrity for the past 23 years.

At least us older fans can remember the Super Bowls and what it was like when we were at the top. Some of us here can also remember the 70’s Super Bowls.

But these kids that became fans after 95 don’t even know what it’s like to be a fan of a great team

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What I can’t understand is how there are soooooo many Cowboy fans that became fans well after the 95 season and still stick around with all this mediocrity for the past 23 years.
A lot of times parents pass it on to their kids. One of my sons is a Cowboy fan but has only been alive for two playoff wins. Like all millennials however, he doesnt give two shits about football if the NBA is on. I think because of the short millennial attention span, the NBA usually fits in a nice two hour window, and that works better for most of em.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
A lot of times parents pass it on to their kids. One of my sons is a Cowboy fan but has only been alive for two playoff wins. Like all millennials however, he doesnt give two shits about football if the NBA is on. I think because of the short millennial attention span, the NBA usually fits in a nice two hour window, and that works better for most of em.

Kids in general wont watch sports with any passion if they watch at all. Its different now. When I was a kid pro sports was everything. Wait all week for football on Sunday. Was so happy when preseason games were on tv. Watch or listen to baseball every evening in the summer. Knew all the batting averages and stats for all players on all the teams. The thought of missing a game was gut wrenching. But those of us from that era are not gonna be around forever. And pissing that part of the fan base off with the anthem BS is a stupid move on the part of Goofdell and the league.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Like all millennials however, he doesnt give two shits about football if the NBA is on. I think because of the short millennial attention span, the NBA usually fits in a nice two hour window, and that works better for most of em.
Also, football is constantly being demonized and ridiculed among the "woke" set. You know, it's so horrible and dangerous.

Plus kids are simply less physically active than they used to be. When you never play a sport it's a lot harder to relate to it.

Top Bottom