bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1526344430-KRIS_RICHARD_1_62724414.JPG

Jean-Jacques Taylor, Cowboys insider for NBC 5 in Dallas-Fort Worth (KXAS-TV) and host of J Dub City 9 a.m.-1 p.m. weekdays on 103.3 KESN-FM, answered your questions about the Cowboys in a live chat recently. Here are some highlights:

Who's most caught your eye at rookie minicamp? Any surprises?

JJT: They spent rookie camp in shorts and T-shirts. It was worse than the traditional Underwear Olympics. But if you asked me who impressed me the most it was passing game defensive coordinator Kris Richard. He has a presence about him. He'd speaks with conviction and I don't know if he can coach or not, but I was ready to suit up. If he can get Byron Jones and the rest of the youngsters in the secondary to play to their pedigree then he'll be a big-time addition

Does Zeke not making headlines this offseason (knocks on wood) show that he's maturing as a player?

JJT: I talked to Zeke briefly on Saturday and he was cool. He's had a terrific offseason according to all of the folks I've talked to, but there's a month off between the last minicamp and the start of training camp. Maturity is shown but actions -- not words -- but he's doing a lot of the right things.

How much does missing out on Terrell McClain hurt the D-line?

JJT: Let's be clear: Terrell McClain will not be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. He would've been a good addition to the Cowboys' DL rotation, and he could've helped. But he wasn't worth the $4M he reportedly got from Atlanta -- not for a position the Cowboys don't place a high value on.

Joel Lanning makes for a really interesting story, but is he NFL material for anything other than special teams?

JJT: For a dude who was a QB at Iowa State who moved to LB and played well, I'd say ST was good enough. Let's let him make the team first. After all, he was an underrated free agent, before we stick some expectations on him.

Have you started to figure out how the NFC ladder will look next season?

JJT: Not really. I mean we haven't even gone to training camp yet, so in a lot of ways we don't even know who's on the team. Plus, you know I think Earl Thomas will be added to the roster sometime during training camp, which would change whatever you think the Cowboys will do this season. There's time for that down the road, but right now I'd go Philly, Dallas, NYG and Washington.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Earl Thomas will be added to the roster sometime during training camp,
I think so too. Only question is the cost. I really dont see how ET goes back there on the last year of his deal after basically asking to be traded here.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I have high hopes for Kris Richard

Seeing what he built in Seattle with the legion of boom and making them the top units the NFL is promising for sure

Chido has said that he has already learned more from Kris Richard than he did ALL last season under Joe Baker. That’s pretty fucking sad when you consider we aren’t even into camp yet.

But that’s a huge sign we might be headed in the right direction

I look forward to seeing what Richards can do with our secondary and to see where they are at the end of the season as a unit

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
of everything going on w the team, richard and the young db's has gotta be a bright spot .. after purging the 'veteran' secondary, everyone was unsure where that unit was headed, but most of us agreed that the new regime would be an improvement. thats not saying much considering the cowboys secondary was terrible for so long (stats and PFF be damned. )

dallas completely overhauled that unit w a 2nd, 3rd and 6th rounder in ONE YEAR... after only holding on to a 1st rnd pick (byron jones), 2 6th rounders (frazier & brown) and the backbone of the secondary (jeff heath)

and now theres still rumors circulating about adding a vet like thomas whihc would probably bump this secondary into a new stratosphere.

it looks like dallas finally got that right..... and its a very important part of defending today's game. if the pass rush keeps coming along and the LB's can cover and make stops when they need to... whew

offense is fun to watch, but i love watching a defense shut the other team down. hopefully dallas can become dominant on that side of the ball again.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What kinda football team doesnt place a priority on a DT?

Define "priority" there.

I tend to disagree with the crowd that thinks spending a premium pick or significant cap dollars on a fat, primarily run stuffing DT is a good idea. There are definitely other positions more critical IMO.

Reaction score
of everything going on w the team, richard and the young db's has gotta be a bright spot .. after purging the 'veteran' secondary, everyone was unsure where that unit was headed, but most of us agreed that the new regime would be an improvement. thats not saying much considering the cowboys secondary was terrible for so long (stats and PFF be damned. )

dallas completely overhauled that unit w a 2nd, 3rd and 6th rounder in ONE YEAR... after only holding on to a 1st rnd pick (byron jones), 2 6th rounders (frazier & brown) and the backbone of the secondary (jeff heath)

and now theres still rumors circulating about adding a vet like thomas whihc would probably bump this secondary into a new stratosphere.

it looks like dallas finally got that right..... and its a very important part of defending today's game. if the pass rush keeps coming along and the LB's can cover and make stops when they need to... whew

offense is fun to watch, but i love watching a defense shut the other team down. hopefully dallas can become dominant on that side of the ball again.

I predicted we would be just fine in an email to Spagnola when he pulled his usual "well, who ya gonna git" fallacy when a vocal faction was calling for the end of the legion of boobs. Here we are with no drop off, a much higher ceiling, and much less cap space wasted on no name young guns instead of highly overpriced scrubs and 1st round draft busts.

He never responded, not that I expected it, but I psychically know he read it, and thought I was an idiot. It's tough being a prophet to unbelievers.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Seeing what he built in Seattle with the legion of boom and making them the top units the NFL is promising for sure
Hope so because Jerrys M O is to a hire a weak, lilly livered HC, when he finally figures out the current continuity route was a wasted decade. Meaning Art Briles or whoever is likely to inherit Richard as his DC.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
"He was good with that one team that one time. "

He's going to suck here, just like Marinelli.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Define "priority" there.

I tend to disagree with the crowd that thinks spending a premium pick or significant cap dollars on a fat, primarily run stuffing DT is a good idea. There are definitely other positions more critical IMO.

I was referring to this:

JJT: Let's be clear: Terrell McClain will not be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. He would've been a good addition to the Cowboys' DL rotation, and he could've helped. But he wasn't worth the $4M he reportedly got from Atlanta -- not for a position the Cowboys don't place a high value on.

I agree you dont overpay for any position with the exception of QB. But still you can do better than having a few breathing body bags just filling a position. Having the ability to push that pocket back and clog up the middle is a great help to the DE's and the rest of the defense.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have high hopes for Kris Richard

of everything going on w the team, richard and the young db's has gotta be a bright spot

Which begs my next question....if Kris Richard is so good, why was he fired from Seattle? Honest question, as I really don't know a lot about him.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which begs my next question....if Kris Richard is so good, why was he fired from Seattle? Honest question, as I really don't know a lot about him.

not 100% sure but from what i remember is that pete carroll was re-taking the reigns on defense. last year was pretty tumultuous for seattle in general, and the veteran voices might hav ebeen getting old? they got rid of sherman and bennett. injuries to sherman, thomas, chancellor, avril, etc. then thomas rumors after cowboys game towards the end ofhte season. losing to arizona and missing the playoffs.

lots of shit going on and not necessarily on the shoulders of the DC. maybe just a pete carroll re-set ?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Supposedly there was disagreement between Carroll and Richard on how aggressive the scheme would be. I read Richard supported being more aggressive, and Carroll wanted to be more conservative going forward.

He has a good track record for developing DB's there and their defense was near the top of the league every yr except this past year, when the team was plagued with injuries.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And why would he want to work with Garrett?

gotta assume jerry at least offered him the DC position next yr, insinuating he would be pushing rod out/to retire

but who knows what jerry said/did to close the deal

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
gotta assume jerry at least offered him the DC position next yr, insinuating he would be pushing rod out/to retire

but who knows what jerry said/did to close the deal

Thats probably a very good possibility.

Top Bottom