Jean-Jacques Taylor: What has impressed me about Cowboys coordinator Kris Richard
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Jean-Jacques Taylor: What has impressed me about Cowboys coordinator Kris Richard

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Administrator bbgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,828

    Jean-Jacques Taylor: What has impressed me about Cowboys coordinator Kris Richard



    Jean-Jacques Taylor, Cowboys insider for NBC 5 in Dallas-Fort Worth (KXAS-TV) and host of J Dub City 9 a.m.-1 p.m. weekdays on 103.3 KESN-FM, answered your questions about the Cowboys in a live chat recently. Here are some highlights:

    Who's most caught your eye at rookie minicamp? Any surprises?

    JJT: They spent rookie camp in shorts and T-shirts. It was worse than the traditional Underwear Olympics. But if you asked me who impressed me the most it was passing game defensive coordinator Kris Richard. He has a presence about him. He'd speaks with conviction and I don't know if he can coach or not, but I was ready to suit up. If he can get Byron Jones and the rest of the youngsters in the secondary to play to their pedigree then he'll be a big-time addition

    Does Zeke not making headlines this offseason (knocks on wood) show that he's maturing as a player?

    JJT: I talked to Zeke briefly on Saturday and he was cool. He's had a terrific offseason according to all of the folks I've talked to, but there's a month off between the last minicamp and the start of training camp. Maturity is shown but actions -- not words -- but he's doing a lot of the right things.

    How much does missing out on Terrell McClain hurt the D-line?

    JJT: Let's be clear: Terrell McClain will not be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. He would've been a good addition to the Cowboys' DL rotation, and he could've helped. But he wasn't worth the $4M he reportedly got from Atlanta -- not for a position the Cowboys don't place a high value on.

    Joel Lanning makes for a really interesting story, but is he NFL material for anything other than special teams?

    JJT: For a dude who was a QB at Iowa State who moved to LB and played well, I'd say ST was good enough. Let's let him make the team first. After all, he was an underrated free agent, before we stick some expectations on him.

    Have you started to figure out how the NFC ladder will look next season?

    JJT: Not really. I mean we haven't even gone to training camp yet, so in a lot of ways we don't even know who's on the team. Plus, you know I think Earl Thomas will be added to the roster sometime during training camp, which would change whatever you think the Cowboys will do this season. There's time for that down the road, but right now I'd go Philly, Dallas, NYG and Washington.

  2. Appreciation Doomsday appreciated this post
  3. Back To Top    #2
    old and cranky theoneandonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,911
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgun View Post
    I think Earl Thomas will be added to the roster sometime during training camp,
    I think so too. Only question is the cost. I really dont see how ET goes back there on the last year of his deal after basically asking to be traded here.

  4. Back To Top    #3
    Draft Pick NoMoRedJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,558
    What kinda football team doesnt place a priority on a DT?

  5. Appreciation Terrance mcclain appreciated this post
    Props Doomsday gave props for this post
  6. Back To Top    #4
    old and cranky theoneandonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,911
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoRedJ View Post
    What kinda football team doesnt place a priority on a DT?
    One that prioritizes jersey sales over Lombardis.

  7. Props NoMoRedJ, Doomsday gave props for this post
  8. Back To Top    #5
    Pro Bowler Scot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    6,212

    Jean-Jacques Taylor: What has impressed me about Cowboys coordinator Kris Richard

    I have high hopes for Kris Richard

    Seeing what he built in Seattle with the legion of boom and making them the top units the NFL is promising for sure

    Chido has said that he has already learned more from Kris Richard than he did ALL last season under Joe Baker. Thatís pretty fucking sad when you consider we arenít even into camp yet.

    But thatís a huge sign we might be headed in the right direction

    I look forward to seeing what Richards can do with our secondary and to see where they are at the end of the season as a unit

  9. Appreciation icup appreciated this post
    Props NoMoRedJ gave props for this post
  10. Back To Top    #6
    Super Moderator icup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    neither here nor there
    Posts
    1,764
    of everything going on w the team, richard and the young db's has gotta be a bright spot .. after purging the 'veteran' secondary, everyone was unsure where that unit was headed, but most of us agreed that the new regime would be an improvement. thats not saying much considering the cowboys secondary was terrible for so long (stats and PFF be damned. )

    dallas completely overhauled that unit w a 2nd, 3rd and 6th rounder in ONE YEAR... after only holding on to a 1st rnd pick (byron jones), 2 6th rounders (frazier & brown) and the backbone of the secondary (jeff heath)


    and now theres still rumors circulating about adding a vet like thomas whihc would probably bump this secondary into a new stratosphere.



    it looks like dallas finally got that right..... and its a very important part of defending today's game. if the pass rush keeps coming along and the LB's can cover and make stops when they need to... whew

    offense is fun to watch, but i love watching a defense shut the other team down. hopefully dallas can become dominant on that side of the ball again.

  11. Back To Top    #7
    Administrator dbair1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    38,586
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoRedJ View Post
    What kinda football team doesnt place a priority on a DT?
    Define "priority" there.

    I tend to disagree with the crowd that thinks spending a premium pick or significant cap dollars on a fat, primarily run stuffing DT is a good idea. There are definitely other positions more critical IMO.
    This needs to be the final season of Garrett & his staff. The greatest coaches on the planet should be candidates to lead the best org in sports. The days of teams blowing the Cowboysí doors off in halftime adjustments needs to end. Time for change, new direction and a new voice
    ó Ben Rogers (@BenRogers) November 20, 2017

  12. Back To Top    #8
    Draft Pick TheZoneSucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by icup View Post
    of everything going on w the team, richard and the young db's has gotta be a bright spot .. after purging the 'veteran' secondary, everyone was unsure where that unit was headed, but most of us agreed that the new regime would be an improvement. thats not saying much considering the cowboys secondary was terrible for so long (stats and PFF be damned. )

    dallas completely overhauled that unit w a 2nd, 3rd and 6th rounder in ONE YEAR... after only holding on to a 1st rnd pick (byron jones), 2 6th rounders (frazier & brown) and the backbone of the secondary (jeff heath)


    and now theres still rumors circulating about adding a vet like thomas whihc would probably bump this secondary into a new stratosphere.



    it looks like dallas finally got that right..... and its a very important part of defending today's game. if the pass rush keeps coming along and the LB's can cover and make stops when they need to... whew

    offense is fun to watch, but i love watching a defense shut the other team down. hopefully dallas can become dominant on that side of the ball again.
    I predicted we would be just fine in an email to Spagnola when he pulled his usual "well, who ya gonna git" fallacy when a vocal faction was calling for the end of the legion of boobs. Here we are with no drop off, a much higher ceiling, and much less cap space wasted on no name young guns instead of highly overpriced scrubs and 1st round draft busts.

    He never responded, not that I expected it, but I psychically know he read it, and thought I was an idiot. It's tough being a prophet to unbelievers.

  13. Appreciation icup appreciated this post
  14. Back To Top    #9
    old and cranky theoneandonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    Seeing what he built in Seattle with the legion of boom and making them the top units the NFL is promising for sure
    Hope so because Jerrys M O is to a hire a weak, lilly livered HC, when he finally figures out the current continuity route was a wasted decade. Meaning Art Briles or whoever is likely to inherit Richard as his DC.

  15. Appreciation yimyammer, icup appreciated this post
    lulz yimyammer lulz'd this
  16. Back To Top    #10
    Cheerleader Dustdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by icup View Post
    ...and the backbone of the secondary (jeff heath)...
    (Sigh)


  17. Back To Top    #11
    Draft Pick Rynie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,257
    "He was good with that one team that one time. "

    He's going to suck here, just like Marinelli.

  18. Appreciation Doomsday, theoneandonly, icup appreciated this post
    lulz Terrance mcclain lulz'd this
  19. Back To Top    #12
    Draft Pick NoMoRedJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by dbair1967 View Post
    Define "priority" there.

    I tend to disagree with the crowd that thinks spending a premium pick or significant cap dollars on a fat, primarily run stuffing DT is a good idea. There are definitely other positions more critical IMO.
    I was referring to this:

    JJT: Let's be clear: Terrell McClain will not be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. He would've been a good addition to the Cowboys' DL rotation, and he could've helped. But he wasn't worth the $4M he reportedly got from Atlanta -- not for a position the Cowboys don't place a high value on.


    I agree you dont overpay for any position with the exception of QB. But still you can do better than having a few breathing body bags just filling a position. Having the ability to push that pocket back and clog up the middle is a great help to the DE's and the rest of the defense.

  20. Appreciation Terrance mcclain appreciated this post
  21. Back To Top    #13
    Spectator Terrance mcclain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoRedJ View Post
    What kinda football team doesnt place a priority on a DT?

    One that has only two playoff wins in twenty something years

  22. lulz theoneandonly lulz'd this
    Props NoMoRedJ gave props for this post
  23. Back To Top    #14
    Super Moderator Dodger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    I have high hopes for Kris Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by icup View Post
    of everything going on w the team, richard and the young db's has gotta be a bright spot
    Which begs my next question....if Kris Richard is so good, why was he fired from Seattle? Honest question, as I really don't know a lot about him.

  24. Back To Top    #15
    Draft Pick NoMoRedJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger12 View Post
    Which begs my next question....if Kris Richard is so good, why was he fired from Seattle? Honest question, as I really don't know a lot about him.
    And why would he want to work with Garrett?

Members who have read this thread: 16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

The End Zone