bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1526057970-New-Mexico-Bowl-Football.jpg

Dane Brugler, senior NFL draft analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, answered your questions about the NFL Draft and the Cowboys during a live chat recently. Here are some highlights:

Do you think the Cowboys are going to regret not trading up to get Derwin James?

Brugler: It is possible. James is an outstanding talent who has the tools to develop into a Pro Bowl safety. But the Cowboys would have needed to trade their 1st (Leighton Vander Esch) and 3rd (Michael Gallup) rounders so if both those players are strong contributors for the Cowboys then they won't regret not making that move.

Where is Michael Gallup going to have to improve the most? How long do you think it'll take him to adjust to the NFL life?

Brugler: Gallup is a savvy route-runner, but he isn't the most explosive, which will allow NFL defenders to squat on underneath or middle of the field routes. So for Gallup, he has room to improve his pacing off the line of scrimmage and then his overall consistency, not breaking stride to make catches or worrying about the impending hit.

Gallup has far more strengths than weaknesses and I expect him to make some type of impact as a rookie, but there will be areas he needs to focus on during camp and early in the season.

Do you think Gallup has to potential to be a #1 WR and eventually take over where Dez left off?

Brugler: I don't expect Gallup to ever reach true "No. 1" status. That would mean he belongs in the same conversation as Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, etc. and I just don't think he'll make that type of impact. But one of the biggest myths in the NFL is that you need a No. 1 wideout on offense.

It would be nice, but also not necessary. Just surround the quarterback with capable receivers who can help move the offense and you're in good shape. And I think Gallup can do that, whether he's at the X or another wide receiver position.

What did you think of the Connor Williams pick and do you think he is a better fit at RT or LG on this Cowboys line?

Brugler: I graded Williams as an offensive tackle. That's what he played at Texas and I see a player with the feet to hold up in space. However, for the Cowboys, I'm putting him at guard and that's how the coaches view him as well.

Yes, he is only 300-ish pounds, but he is so good as sinking his hips to anchor and he flashes the bully mentality that it takes for interior work. I expect to see him primarily at guard, but part of the appeal with Williams is his versatility so good chance he'll have snaps at tackle throughout the season.

Which pick or picks would you have chosen a different player than the Cowboys did, if you were running the Cowboys draft?

Brugler: I like a lot of what the Cowboys did on draft weekend. And I think Dalton Schultz can be a solid contributor at a position of need. However, with the final pick in the fourth round, there were two players available that I would have rather drafted: DT Maurice Hurst or LB Shaquem Griffin. Hurst has the heart issue and there is plenty of uncertainty, but I'll take that risk at that point in the draft.

And Griffin is the ideal subpackage/special teams linebacker. Plus the intangibles aspect is something I value a lot in the locker room. He brings instant inspiration to my team and his leadership and heart are things that speak even louder with Jason Witten no longer on the team.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I dont think that was really expected. This draft was light on true #1 type receivers. If the guy develops into a reliable #2 that would be just fine. Anything more would be gravy.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I agree. If he was a surefire no. 1, he wouldn't have still been there in rd. 3.

He seems to be a guy who can catch a ball and run to the spot where he is actually supposed to be. There's a lot to be said for that.

Everything is opinion until training camp.
I dont think that was really expected. This draft was light on true #1 type receivers. If the guy develops into a reliable #2 that would be just fine. Anything more would be gravy.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
meanwhiel:

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
^ ^ ^ that is for throwing rocks at cars in the parking lot at the phoenix open.

And here I thought Dez, Zeke and Cole werent all that bright.

Throwing rocks at cars is like elementary school stuff.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Wow! He sounds like he could have been the "right kind of guy" here.

Can you draft an 8 year old into the NFL now?

Top Bottom