Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just read an article that talks about converting Noah Brown into a TE

We converted K. Smith from a LB to a RB

The Cowboys official website has Tevon Austin listed as a RB and not a WR

Jamie’s Showers was converted from a QB and is now a scrub safety

Who needs these pesky little position titles anyway

And for the most part, they were all failures although maybe one can argue that Smith was acceptable at FB but we don't value that position and, IMO, could do better.

I think the Tevon Austin signing would be very shortsighted if we didn't at least try to use him in the passing game. You have to like his speed on offense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And for the most part, they were all failures although maybe one can argue that Smith was acceptable at FB but we don't value that position and, IMO, could do better.

I think the Tevon Austin signing would be very shortsighted if we didn't at least try to use him in the passing game. You have to like his speed on offense.

If he's still got that speed at his age and wear/tear.

Successful player transition was Woody. LB all HS and college career, Jimmy saw dominant enforcer at safety.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If he's still got that speed at his age and wear/tear.

Successful player transition was Woody. LB all HS and college career, Jimmy saw dominant enforcer at safety.

Yep. Good call. And Rayfield Wright and Mark Tuinei were successfully converted to different positions.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, no way Noah Brown is big enough to be converted to a TE. Even if he puts on weight, he's still only 6' 2"....Way too short.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yep. Good call. And Rayfield Wright and Mark Tuinei were successfully converted to different positions.
It almost seems like it takes good coaching to do that - purposeful coaching with an actual plan - not some mindless gadgetry.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It almost seems like it takes good coaching to do that - purposeful coaching with an actual plan - not some mindless gadgetry.

I feel like these clowns we currently have understand the concept but can't identify the talent to make the transition or coach that player. Our buddy dbair mentioned in an earlier post about NE and a certain coach doing the same thing we are which is baloney. That guy isn't pigeonholed into a scheme. He'll run a 3-4, 4-3, or some hybrid defense. The guy is a mad scientist and isn't married to any particular scheme even though he's a 3-4 guy. He's the ultimate "put your people in a position to succeed" head coach.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Rayfield Wright HOFer coached by a HOF coach Landry and Jim Myers. Tuinei who was incredibly unde rated coached by Jimmy Johnson and Tony Wise. See a trend there?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I feel like these clowns we currently have understand the concept but can't identify the talent to make the transition or coach that player.
Agree. Fred, Zack and Tyron are making Pro Bowls on talent alone.

Terrance mcclain

Spectator
Reaction score
Though I think Switzer while an idiot actually had speed, which this offense desperately lacks. Also every draft is flush with slot recievers. So in the big picture no real loss. The problem I have with this whole transaction is player misevaluation. This is where a competent GM comes into play.

This FO is probably all high fiforving after this trade because they think they stole Jihad Ward, a player they really liked coming out of college. Problem is the guy is a stiff. Homers at the Zone are saying Ward didnt fit the new Raider scheme. Problem with that logic is at 6:5 and 300 Lbs, he fits any scheme. The Raider staff obviously not one of the better ones in the league but their defense outside of Mack was abysmal last year, and this guy was a healthy scratch ELEVEN times last year! They desperately needed help on the DL and they determined real quick he couldnt play. I dont see Marinelli turning chicken shit into chicken salad anytime soon.

Rod was content having nick Hayden as a starter for three seasons . that should tell us all we need to
Know about rod so called great ability to evaluate talent

It is concerning that the giants drafted saquan Barkley and Isiah Wynn and the redskins
Drafted derrius guise. Washington also added daron payne and tim settle while new York drafted bj
Hill and davilion Tomlinson last year.it seems like both teams are gearing up directly to compete with the cowboys.we saw what the eagles did to the cowboys defense in their first meeting last year.

The cowboys division rivals learn and adapt. Sadly , the cowboys still make the same dumbass mistakes like playing jAGs on the d line.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's not position flex. They drafted that player (QB) specifically to convert him to WR because of his speed, just as the Cowboys did with Stanback.

It wasn't Stanback I was thinking of (though he is another)

It was Patrick Crayton.

That said, not sure why some of you get tore up over someone having "position flex". All teams do it and almost have to because you only have 53 guys for your roster, and only 46 can be active on game day. You need guys that can be moved around some.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That said, not sure why some of you get tore up over someone having "position flex".
That's different from actually converting a player. "flex" really isn't an issue, like you said pretty much all teams do some of it.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was Patrick Crayton.

Crayton was a WR for most of his college career. He was never drafted by Dallas to be a QB.

That said, not sure why some of you get tore up over someone having "position flex". All teams do it and almost have to because you only have 53 guys for your roster, and only 46 can be active on game day. You need guys that can be moved around some.

That's different from actually converting a player. "flex" really isn't an issue, like you said pretty much all teams do some of it.

This......

It's not position "flex" when we make Byron Jones into a safety. That move had minimal success, at best, and now we want to move him back to CB. We miscalculated.

And the reason I got a little "tore up" is because you compared our failed strategy to some guy in NE who, in your mind, does the same thing. That'll get some push back.....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Crayton was a WR for most of his college career. He was never drafted by Dallas to be a QB.

Crayton played mostly as a QB his SR yr in college, we drafted him with the intent of making him a fulltime WR:

As a senior, he earned Little All-America second team and CSFL Offensive Player of the Year honors starting at quarterback while also handling kickoff returns, punt returns and logging time at wide receiver. While leading the Rangers to the 2003 NAIA National Championship game his senior year, Crayton passed for 1,837 yards and a school-record 19 touchdowns. He also rushed for a school single-season record 1,476 yards with 13 touchdowns on 173 carries while adding 15 receptions for 331 yards and four scores. He became the first player in NAIA history to score a touchdown passing, receiving, rushing and on kickoff and punt returns in a single season.

It's not position "flex" when we make Byron Jones into a safety. That move had minimal success, at best, and now we want to move him back to CB. We miscalculated.

He played both in college genius. When we drafted him, the talk was he had the size, range and athletic skill to be a true FS. He played all over as a rookie but played much better as a safety shadowing TE's and at FS. When he played CB as a rookie, he struggled.

And the reason I got a little "tore up" is because you compared our failed strategy to some guy in NE who, in your mind, does the same thing. That'll get some push back.....

"position flex" isnt a "failed strategy" All teams do it, not just us and not just New England.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Crayton played mostly as a QB his SR yr in college, we drafted him with the intent of making him a fulltime WR:

Did I say different?

As a senior, he earned Little All-America second team and CSFL Offensive Player of the Year honors starting at quarterback while also handling kickoff returns, punt returns and logging time at wide receiver. While leading the Rangers to the 2003 NAIA National Championship game his senior year, Crayton passed for 1,837 yards and a school-record 19 touchdowns. He also rushed for a school single-season record 1,476 yards with 13 touchdowns on 173 carries while adding 15 receptions for 331 yards and four scores. He became the first player in NAIA history to score a touchdown passing, receiving, rushing and on kickoff and punt returns in a single season.

Your point? He was drafted as a WR. I said as much.

He played both in college genius. When we drafted him, the talk was he had the size, range and athletic skill to be a true FS. He played all over as a rookie but played much better as a safety shadowing TE's and at FS. When he played CB as a rookie, he struggled.

He struggled at safety after a failed "conversion attempt." Now he's back at CB. I'm not even sure what you're arguing with.

"position flex" isnt a "failed strategy" All teams do it, not just us and not just New England.

It's a failed strategy in Dallas. You initially commented to theoneandonly about his negative opinion of the Cowboys playing folks out of position. You compared it to NE. One coach can make it work. The other can not.

Macksfield

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Where does the idea, Switzer is not very smart, come from? I watched the Cowboys series and must have missed it. He had a big fumble, made a bad decision, but sometimes rookies make bad decisions. I'm wondering what I'm missing that that helped determine he was ignorant or dumb?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Where does the idea, Switzer is not very smart, come from? I watched the Cowboys series and must have missed it. He had a big fumble, made a bad decision, but sometimes rookies make bad decisions. I'm wondering what I'm missing that that helped determine he was ignorant or dumb?

Overall impression most likely. Maybe some things he's said as well.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Top Bottom