Mustang1

0le Ball Coach
Reaction score
Okay I question him more than “sometimes.” You got me! I’m new to doing any forum. This is going to be fun!

JoeKing

Spectator
Reaction score
Losing 2 safeties in the Cincinnati game hurts this team a great deal. Already thin at the position, I think even getting ET on board won't be enough. But it would be a good start.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
ET fanboi grasping at straws and ignoring the fact that we simply cannot afford him.

They have the cap space, they can trade for him and sign him to an extension if they want.

I hope they continue to stand their ground and not overpay to get him, but they definitely CAN trade for him if they want to.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They have the cap space, they can trade for him and sign him to an extension if they want.

I hope they continue to stand their ground and not overpay to get him, but they definitely CAN trade for him if they want to.

I've no idea where you fellas are seeing all of this cap space. Last I checked we're around 14 mil under but with some people to sign yet and with something like 26 mil in dead money.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I've no idea where you fellas are seeing all of this cap space. Last I checked we're around 14 mil under

Who's left to sign right now? Every player is under contract.

Unless something has changed, you only get to roll forward a small amount of unused cap space from year to year. It's basically use it or lose it.

You said we simply cant afford him, but the fact is we do have the room to get him if we want.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You said we simply cant afford him, but the fact is we do have the room to get him if we want.
So, explain to me from the earlier quote below, exactly how we can afford what's being asked with only 14 mil of cap space:
If a trade happens, any team acquiring Thomas will have to hammer out an extension with him. Writer Dan Graziano, playing the part of Thomas’ agent, proposes a four-year, $56MM extension starting in 2019, which would make him the league’s highest-paid safety ($14MM/year) in terms of new money. He also suggests $32MM in total cash flow between 2018 and 2019, which would give Thomas ample security as he enters his age-29 season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So, explain to me from the earlier quote below, exactly how we can afford what's being asked with only 14 mil of cap space:

"playing the part of Thomas' agent"

So basically, guessing what a new contract might look like.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
"playing the part of Thomas' agent"

So basically, guessing what a new contract might look like.
It ain't gonna look like anything we can afford for 14 mil. What, maybe a shorter deal with most of that up front?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It ain't gonna look like anything we can afford for 14 mil. What, maybe a shorter deal with most of that up front?

I think you need to go to salary cap 101 and get back to us.

Just because the average amount of money might be 14 mils per yr, doesn't mean that's what the year over year cap charges will actually be.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just because the average amount of money might be 14 mils per yr, doesn't mean that's what the year over year cap charges will actually be.
You're going to have to give a pretty big signing bonus, no? Taking up most of the cap space. The dude is going to be asking for a monster deal, that's the whole point of his holdout. Moar Money and Guaranteed security.

We can afford that?

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I've always believer ET would be an awesome addition to this young D
The leadership and playmaking he brings would be immeasurable
Even without Woods getting hurt the S position is weak and with us at least having a decent front seven he would make such a difference back there
I only worry now that with Woods going down the Seahawks start to ask for even more than what they were asking before and that would quash any discussions
As far as the money, this year is lean but next year is flush (I believe I've heard $69M) and we could do it and like any deal you make you have to weigh the money to one guy and possibly handicapping yourself at other spots
I do agree that management has done a good job of managing the cap recently so it would be a shame to take a step back but this would be one I want the Cowboys to do
Fuck Jerry and fuck Jason...those 2 dunderheads are the albatross around the organizations neck
Looking forward to the season

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If Garrett cared about his career, he'd be begging Jerry to make this happen. Despite what people think, no playoffs and I believe Garrett is gone.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Fuck Jerry and fuck Jason...those 2 dunderheads are the albatross around the organizations neck
Looking forward to the season

despite what jeri and al those who proclaim jeri to be a marketing genius say, this is the reason he's made hand over fist

its the undying devotion of guys like you and even me who is nothing but negative toward the cowboys, yet I'm still here, that has allowed jeri to get away with all his bullshit for 27 years

if we had an ounce of solidarity, all cowboy fans would strike against all things cowboys whether in radio, print or video and keep their money in their pocket until jeri is forced to sell but of course that'll never happen or anything remotely resembling such a thing

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Garrett cared about his career, he'd be begging Jerry to make this happen. Despite what people think, no playoffs and I believe Garrett is gone.

As long as they don't overpay to get him, I'm all for it. And Thomas would be a great add if he stays healthy.

That said, I wouldn't sacrifice our 1st or 2nd rd pick next year for him, especially considering the dollars we have to give him.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I would love that to be the case. But it’s the same thing that they say about Garrett every year, no playoff wins and he’s gone. Yet somehow he still survives. Just like a cockroach!

Top Bottom