CouchCoach

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I’d say that unless this team is only 1 FS away from making the Super Bowl there is no need to give up draft picks and pay that amount of money for Earl. Who all thinks this team is 1 safety away from making the Super Bowl? I sure don’t. Just ride with Woods and Frazier. This team still has way too many holes to be giving up draft picks for a player that isn’t going to put you over the hump.
It is several positions away from even being a playoff contender, let alone a SB team.

They need to keep their picks as they do not even know the needs list at this time on defense. On the O side, they don't know what they have at LG, WR and TE and dare I say it? QB. What if Dak does not improve from the last half of 2017? They will need picks to move up for another QB and they don't need to be trading away 1st round picks for the future either.

I am not a pessimist about the team but being a realist, there are a lot of unknowns on this defense and if they're willing to give Thomas what he wants, they could use that money for two good D players in FA next off season.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The scary thing about Dak and this front office is that they will give him a high dollar extension even if he doesn’t improve. As long as he doesn’t totally shit the bed this year I believe Jerry is gonna pay the kid. Not only that he will grossly overpay him. Why is that? Because Jerry has seen him do well in his rookie year where he tied the franchise record for wins. So in Jerrys mind that is Dak’s baseline. Forget the fact that he has declined since then. In Jeruh’s mind if he can do it once he can do it again.

So unless Dak’s plays so poorly that they have to replace him with his back up he will get paid and paid well this offseason!

CouchCoach

Cheerleader
Reaction score
The scary thing about Dak and this front office is that they will give him a high dollar extension even if he doesn’t improve. As long as he doesn’t totally shit the bed this year I believe Jerry is gonna pay the kid. Not only that he will grossly overpay him. Why is that? Because Jerry has seen him do well in his rookie year where he tied the franchise record for wins. So in Jerrys mind that is Dak’s baseline. Forget the fact that he has declined since then. In Jeruh’s mind if he can do it once he can do it again.

So unless Dak’s plays so poorly that they have to replace him with his back up he will get paid and paid well this offseason!
They have openly talked about Dak's next contract too much not to do it. He would have to completely come undone so even his detractors better be hoping he's more like the 2016 version.

The other dynamic in this is White is a more accurate QB than Dak has ever been and I will be surprised if he doesn't get the #2 spot and get a heavy workload in preseason and Rush get the clean up role.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My fear is that Dak already earned his contract extension in Jeruh’s eyes with his rookie performance

Jeruh will offer the extension to him regardless of how he plays this season

If the back up outperforms him and replaces him or even pushes him to play better then so be it!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
My fear is that Dak already earned his contract extension in Jeruh’s eyes with his rookie performance

Jeruh will offer the extension to him regardless of how he plays this season

If the back up outperforms him and replaces him or even pushes him to play better then so be it!

Jerry's not making any contract decisions dude.

'lil Stevie and McClay are, and they have quite different opinions on guys than Jerruh does.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
West Notes: Seahawks, Thomas, Raiders
June 21st, 2018 at 1:20pm CST by Zach Links

After safety Earl Thomas skipped the Seahawks‘ mandatory minicamp, ESPN.com writers huddled up suggest hypothetical trade scenarios for the Pro Bowler. The Cowboys and Chargers, they say, could offer draft picks, while the Patriots’ beat writer suggests a one-for-one deal with right guard Shaq Mason going to Seattle.

If a trade happens, any team acquiring Thomas will have to hammer out an extension with him. Writer Dan Graziano, playing the part of Thomas’ agent, proposes a four-year, $56MM extension starting in 2019, which would make him the league’s highest-paid safety ($14MM/year) in terms of new money. He also suggests $32MM in total cash flow between 2018 and 2019, which would give Thomas ample security as he enters his age-29 season.

While you ponder whether a team would be willing to part with significant compensation and give Thomas that sort of deal, let’s take a look at more items from the West divisions:

There are rumblings of another suspension in Martavis Bryant‘s future, but Vic Tafur of The Athletic hears the Raiders wide receiver did not fail a drug test or miss a test. Bryant has missed 20 games due to failed drug tests and another violation of the league’s substance abuse policy could result in a lengthy ban. But, for now, it’s unclear as to whether Bryant has committed another infraction.

The 49ers were among the teams on hand for Adonis Alexander‘s pro day at Virginia Tech, Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee writes. The Niners are hardly alone in that regard as 25 other teams were said to be on hand for the audition. Alexander has declared for the supplemental draft in July and appears to be a strong candidate to be selected.

It’s possible that wide receiver Brice Butler won’t make the Cardinals‘ final cut.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Ty Law
Mario Williams
Earl Thomas

players who will never be Cowboys

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

makes sense, the guy is wanting to get paid on his 3rd & likely last contract (cant blame him) so of course hit up the idiot jeri jones, et al first and worked his way down from there

I'd pass, sure guys like Ed Reed and both Woodsons played long and late into their careers but those three seem bigger and stouter than Earl and I dont recall Reed/Woodsons contemplating retirement mid season while they were still in their 20's.

I could be wrong but I don't trust this guys longevity.

If the pokes could trade a 5th or 6th and keep his contract for this season as is and re-evaluate at the end whether they want to do a new contract, then MAYBE I'd consider

the odds seem long against this being a good long term move, especially given the cost

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I still wouldn’t give up anything more than a 3rd for Earl. The longer he holds the price drops.

Bay10

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd pass on making a trade. You get him for one year then have to sign him to a huge contract. This is a very young team that may compete in the future but is heading nowhere this season with or without him.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd pass on making a trade. You get him for one year then have to sign him to a huge contract. This is a very young team that may compete in the future but is heading nowhere this season with or without him.

If you're right then we absolutely can't sign him. It would be a waste. You hire mercenaries like that to put you over the top. But what if all the stars align and our D steps it up bigtime this year? We don't usually think in those terms since we haven't seen a good D since '96, but this year looks promising. A good D can make up for a lot.

1. How good is LVE?
2. Sean Lee, if he stays healthy.
3. Our Dline is looking good except for at DT.
4. Will Jaylon Smith be who he is supposed to be?

In a best case scenario Thomas would be a good fit. But then again, a best case scenario would probably not include Garrett as head coach.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Well if you get earl Thomas the all pro ballhawking FS, he helps you potentially go somewhere.

The key is not overpaying in terms of trade (I wouldn't give me than a 3rd and maybe a later pick) and then not giving him a contract that handcuffs the cap in future years (which we should be able to handle)

If he wants 15+ mils per yr, that's too much. If Seattle wants a 1st rd pick, that's too much.

But otherwise, he's a potentially great add that could indeed help this team.

Mustang1

0le Ball Coach
Reaction score
I believe Earl Thomas would be a great addition to the Cowboys defense! We have enough cap space to make it work. Having Earl cover the backside of our defense would be huge. Our young players in the secondary would be able to learn from a future HOF player. ET is healthy and plays a position that allows production for players in their early thirties. ET wants to be a Cowboy and fans also want to see ET in a Cowboys uniform. I would have no problem giving up next years second round pick to get this deal done. We could get him into training quickly and get ready for the regular season. Our defense would quickly establish an identity with Earl Thomas on the backend. In addition ET is an upstanding citizen. He is a team guy and will be a huge addition to our team. You will not find a harder worker than ET. Regardless of anyone’s opinion on ETs trade value and contract value there is no question he would be a huge upgrade to our defense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I believe Earl Thomas would be a great addition to the Cowboys defense! We have enough cap space to make it work. Having Earl cover the backside of our defense would be huge. Our young players in the secondary would be able to learn from a future HOF player. ET is healthy and plays a position that allows production for players in their early thirties. ET wants to be a Cowboy and fans also want to see ET in a Cowboys uniform. I would have no problem giving up next years second round pick to get this deal done. We could get him into training quickly and get ready for the regular season. Our defense would quickly establish an identity with Earl Thomas on the backend. In addition ET is an upstanding citizen. He is a team guy and will be a huge addition to our team. You will not find a harder worker than ET. Regardless of anyone’s opinion on ETs trade value and contract value there is no question he would be a huge upgrade to our defense.

At his age he is NOT worth the high draft pick Seattle says it wants in a trade. That's the holdup. Not his skills/experience.

Welcome to :theu by the way.

Mustang1

0le Ball Coach
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. The Cowboys are a young and very talented team IMHO. Will McClay has done an outstanding job with the draft. I do sometimes question JG’s coaching ability to get these boys over the hump. Having said all that I would respectfully disagree with you on tendering a second round pick in next years draft to get ET on our team. If we had tons of holes to fill I might agree with you. That is not the case. As a matter of fact I believe it would be a win for the cowboys to get ET for next years second. In addition, next years second should be closer to a third with a winning season in 2018. If the Cowboys do get ET for a third or fourth rounder good for them. ET is a difference maker and we should not fool around and lose the opportunity to secure his services for the next three to four years.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Cowboys are a young and very talented team IMHO.
Well, it's all relative right? IMO our personnel overall is only slightly above average. Better in some spots, sorely lacking in others, and with a huge dropoff from the 1s to the 2s. We have zero depth at most positions. This makes coaching hugely relevant and we're sorely lacking there too.
If the Cowboys do get ET for a third or fourth rounder good for them.
Let's not forget his salary is a huge concern too. We're NOT cap-healthy. So giving up a 2nd round pick for him AND paying the money he would command just isn't in the picture for us. We still have 26 million in dead money, and only 14 million of cap space to sign some important veterans. Thomas has a 10 million cap number right now today. You'd be putting a LOT of eggs in that one basket. IF we were "just this close" to being a SB team, you could ALMOST justify it. We're not "this close" in fact we're not even on the same continent with the SB. We can't even see it, much less sniff it.

This is why fans don't get to make these decisions.

Top Bottom