nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Did you see anything in his play last yr that would suggest with further development and experience that he definitely CANT be a starting caliber FS?

He's a little smaller than ideal and he needs experience, but he has some traits which makes me think he can probably handle the job if he works hard. Kris Richard and Greg Jackson also give me hope because they are real coaches.

No I didn't so may be with some coaching, and I agree Richard could do it, he may turn out ok but still sometimes I think this management lives in their own delusions and try to convince themselves as much as us that the moves they are making are the right ones.

If Thomas can be had then we need to go get him to solidify that D and add a veteran presence.

Nothing wrong with Woods working under Thomas and Richard for a couple of years and learning as he goes.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Qusstion:

If you had to go cheap on one position, (and in the Salary Cap era, you have to) what position would that be? No FB's or Punters. Too easy. Every down players on Offense or Defense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Qusstion:

If you had to go cheap on one position, (and in the Salary Cap era, you have to) what position would that be? No FB's or Punters. Too easy. Every down players on Offense or Defense.
All 32 teams have this same problem. The successful ones coach up the "cheap" players and get a lot more out of their entire roster than we do. THAT is the problem, not the salary cap.

So the question really isn't revealing in any way because it doesn't matter where you go "cheap" if you can't coach 'em up and get performance value for them.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Qusstion:

RB, WR come to mind. Generally not QB or trenches.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I guess there are a lot of positions that you can "hide" an average player if the players around them are solid. My point is, S is probably one of them. If we don't spend big bucks on Earl Thomas, it's not the end of the world. If your CB can cover and your pass rush is good you can get away with a Jeff Heath or two and spend that money elsewhere.

But, that being said, you have to coach them up and you've gpt to start drafting some 2nd and 3rd round talent. 6th and 7th rounders are generally special teams players, nothing more.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Qusstion:

Guys who are 1 or 2 down DT's at best.

Strongside OLB in a 4-3 defense.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Should we have given up out 2nd rounder for him instead of getting the T from Texas?
Seems like they are not prioritizing the S position but we haven't an impact S since Woody
I think I would have pulled the trigger on the 2nd rd pick for Earl

The answer is no IMO. We needed to solidify that position. I don't blame Seattle for wanting a second, I'd want a 2nd too for a player like that. But realize both Dallas and Seattle wanted more than either side was willing to give. It's human nature to want more for less as the buyer and seller. Dallas decided the draft pick was worth more.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
ET just announced that he is planning to hold out until he gets a new contract or a new team

CouchCoach

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Maybe but I still would rather take my chances with the proven product and let Woods develop behind him...
At what price in picks and money? He wants that Eric Berry 13M area and if this team gets too much in too few, that could stunt the growth of the defense.

CouchCoach

Cheerleader
Reaction score
The answer is no IMO. We needed to solidify that position. I don't blame Seattle for wanting a second, I'd want a 2nd too for a player like that. But realize both Dallas and Seattle wanted more than either side was willing to give. It's human nature to want more for less as the buyer and seller. Dallas decided the draft pick was worth more.
Indeed, if Williams turns out to be the answer on the OL.

And there's the money he wants to consider, he wants in the 13M range and Lawrence wants in the 15-16M range. Can't pay everybody and if they put that kind of money in two D positions, most of the other starters have to be in 1st contracts with few mistake picks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have thoroughly evaluated the situation and have come to the conclusion that there is a 14.398107% chance we trade for Earl Thomas.

CouchCoach

Cheerleader
Reaction score
There's one thing about this possible trade that's different from the others. It's not about his ability that has the naysayers backed up, it's about then cap hit. Anyone that doesn't think he would be an instant improvement in the secondary hasn't watched him play center field.

My only reservation, besides the cap, is that he doesn't have an All Pro CB and SS back there with him. He didn't have to worry about their positions, just his.

If they do pull the trigger, it will be because Richard urge them forward on it and they're willing to make the cap space.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's one thing about this possible trade that's different from the others. It's not about his ability that has the naysayers backed up, it's about then cap hit. Anyone that doesn't think he would be an instant improvement in the secondary hasn't watched him play center field.

My only reservation, besides the cap, is that he doesn't have an All Pro CB and SS back there with him. He didn't have to worry about their positions, just his.

If they do pull the trigger, it will be because Richard urge them forward on it and they're willing to make the cap space.

i think at this point, if dallas made a move for ET, it would be an indictment on the current secondary more than anything. i think richard has had a plan for this secondary . he moved byron jones immediately after being hired. since camp started, he's been on record of saying that he likes jeff heath as a player.

let richard roll w what hes got

CouchCoach

Cheerleader
Reaction score
i think at this point, if dallas made a move for ET, it would be an indictment on the current secondary more than anything. i think richard has had a plan for this secondary . he moved byron jones immediately after being hired. since camp started, he's been on record of saying that he likes jeff heath as a player.

let richard roll w what hes got
I am good with that as Thomas wants to be paid like one of the best Safety's and our secondary is one of the most affordable ones in the league.

I do feel if he thought Thomas was a high need, they would have already busted a move on him.

Personally, I don't want him because that stunt he pulled with Garrett was disrespectful to his team. But, if they pull the trigger, I will roll with it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I’d say that unless this team is only 1 FS away from making the Super Bowl there is no need to give up draft picks and pay that amount of money for Earl. Who all thinks this team is 1 safety away from making the Super Bowl? I sure don’t. Just ride with Woods and Frazier. This team still has way too many holes to be giving up draft picks for a player that isn’t going to put you over the hump.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I’d say that unless this team is only 1 FS away from making the Super Bowl there is no need to give up draft picks and pay that amount of money for Earl. Who all thinks this team is 1 safety away from making the Super Bowl?

Jerry-Jones.jpg

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I’d say that unless this team is only 1 FS away from making the Super Bowl there is no need to give up draft picks and pay that amount of money for Earl.
They arent and until the Jones plague is eradicated they never will be. ET makes this 6 win team a 7 or 8 win team if that floats your boat.

Top Bottom