Reaction score
Why are the Cowboys Waiting on Signing Eric Reid and Trading for Earl Thomas

I do not know why this team is fooling itself with the Safety position. Eric Reid who Greg Jackson (Cowboys Safety Coach) coached in San Francisco is ready, available, young, and more talented than any Safety the Cowboys have or could trade for to have on the roster.

Earl Thomas is great but is 3 years (close to 4 years) older than Reid. Jimmy Johnson would do both...sign Reid and trade for Thomas. Don't believe me. Remember James Washington (signed as a free agent), and Thomas Everett (traded from Steelers). That's why Jimmy Johnson's belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I have already said how I feel about someone standing, kneeling or dancing during the National Anthem. However, Reid has decided to change his position to stand for the National Anthem. Also, he was a Cowboys fan in his younger life therefore knows the Cowboys are "America's Team". They do not grow Safeties with Reid's abilities on trees. That's why he started as a true freshman on the field with Honey Badger, Peterson, and Claiborne at LSU.

Sign Reid and give Seattle what they want. I thought Jerry Jones had learned his football player vs. Boy Scout lesson with Randy Moss. Eric Reid has no off field issues. His family background is solid which is why he protested in the first place (Father is LSU track royalty and he followed his fathers footsteps). His brother was drafted in the 3rd round by the Texans (steal). He has character which this team needs more.

Go to this link to compare Eric Reid to the Top Safeties in the NFL: Here’s more than enough proof that Eric Reid belongs on an NFL roster

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
All for trading for Earl Thomas if they don't overpay, and we know they've discussed the deal with the Seahawks this offseason, so there's interest.

As for Eric Reid, basically he sux. Not sure what you think he can do but he sux in space, apparently so much so he was benched by the Niners and moved to LB at one point. His last 3 season combined he has 3 picks and 17 passes defensed. His best year was his rookie year, and he has gone downhill ever since. He's also had a propensity for knuckleheaded penalties.

Also, Anthem Protestors are 100% dumbasses, and we don't need more dumbasses here.

Reaction score
All for trading for Earl Thomas if they don't overpay, and we know they've discussed the deal with the Seahawks this offseason, so there's interest.

As for Eric Reid, basically he sux. Not sure what you think he can do but he sux in space, apparently so much so he was benched by the Niners and moved to LB at one point. His last 3 season combined he has 3 picks and 17 passes defensed. His best year was his rookie year, and he has gone downhill ever since. He's also had a propensity for knuckleheaded penalties.

Also, Anthem Protestors are 100% dumbasses, and we don't need more dumbasses here.

Why are the Cowboys Waiting on Signing Eric Reid and Trading for Earl Thomas
I do not know why this team is fooling itself with the Safety position. Eric Reid who Greg Jackson (Cowboys Safety Coach) coached in San Francisco is ready, available, young, and more talented than any Safety the Cowboys have or could trade for to have on the roster.

Earl Thomas is great but is 3 years (close to 4 years) older than Reid. Jimmy Johnson would do both...sign Reid and trade for Thomas. Don't believe me. Remember James Washington (signed as a free agent), and Thomas Everett (traded from Steelers). That's why Jimmy Johnson's belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I have already said how I feel about someone standing, kneeling or dancing during the National Anthem. However, Reid has decided to change his position to stand for the National Anthem. Also, he was a Cowboys fan in his younger life therefore knows the Cowboys are "America's Team". They do not grow Safeties with Reid's abilities on trees. That's why he started as a true freshman on the field with Honey Badger, Peterson, and Claiborne at LSU.

Sign Reid and give Seattle what they want. I thought Jerry Jones had learned his football player vs. Boy Scout lesson with Randy Moss. Eric Reid has no off field issues. His family background is solid which is why he protested in the first place (Father is LSU track royalty and he followed his fathers footsteps). His brother was drafted in the 3rd round by the Texans (steal). He has character which this team needs more.

Go to this link to compare Eric Reid to the Top Safeties in the NFL: Here’s more than enough proof that Eric Reid belongs on an NFL roster

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Thomas has speed, range and tremendous FS instincts, Eric Reid does not. Again Reid has problems in space and in man coverage, and has shown no ability the past several seasons to be a playmaker. There's absolutely no comparison between the two now. One is an upper echelon NFL starter, the other is a dumbass JAG. Jimmy would not sign Eric Reid, he doesn't fit that style of defense and he doesn't fit our current scheme either.

Reid doesn't have any safety ability any longer, it's one of the reasons the Niners benched him and played him at LB.

No need to sign Reid if they get Thomas, he simply cant play in space. Jeff Heath is a better player at this point than Reid is. Even Xavier Woods has far more upside and has some range, cover skills and ability to play the ball.

I saw it. It seems to rely on stats from his first season or two to make a case that he is still a good player. He has not been a good player in his last 3 seasons. It's also written by someone who seems to be an Anthem Protest sympathizer, which means it was written by a clueless twit.

Mustang1

0le Ball Coach
Reaction score
I sure hope the Cowboys find a way to get Earl Thomas. I understand all the cons regarding compensation but ET would be a HUGE addition to our team. Personally I would have no problem giving next years second round pick to get this potential future HOF free safety. I believe you could get three to four years of solid production from ET. I understand the push for youth but this is one addition I would not want to miss on. The time is now. No more rebuilding talk. Doug Petersen rebuilt the Eagles in two years after their former coach decimated the team. It just feels like we are always looking toward the next season. You know the Patriots gave up a second round pick for an unproven Kony Ealy and promptly cut him. You know what you are getting with ET. This guy can ball and would be a difference maker for our team. Time to go all in!

Mustang1

0le Ball Coach
Reaction score
I’m afraid JG is much like Jeff Fisher. I do believe it’s time for fresh coaching. The Jerrah loves JG so I don’t think it will happen anytime soon.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I’m afraid JG is much like Jeff Fisher. I do believe it’s time for fresh coaching. The Jerrah loves JG so I don’t think it will happen anytime soon.

This would be a good year for Ginger Jesus to GTFO.
Looks like we'll have a ton of cap space and probably a decent draft spot.
Good place for a new coach.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I sure hope the Cowboys find a way to get Earl Thomas. I understand all the cons regarding compensation but ET would be a HUGE addition to our team. Personally I would have no problem giving next years second round pick to get this potential future HOF free safety. I believe you could get three to four years of solid production from ET. I understand the push for youth but this is one addition I would not want to miss on. The time is now. No more rebuilding talk. Doug Petersen rebuilt the Eagles in two years after their former coach decimated the team. It just feels like we are always looking toward the next season. You know the Patriots gave up a second round pick for an unproven Kony Ealy and promptly cut him. You know what you are getting with ET. This guy can ball and would be a difference maker for our team. Time to go all in!

He'll be playing for a team looking to make a run at the championship. That's not the Cowboys.

Mustang1

0le Ball Coach
Reaction score
Every day I get up and check Cowboys news and pray to see a trade for ET. Nope... just a meaningless ass kicking from our neighbors down the road. Come on Jerry.... get that young man out of Seahawks hell into a Cowboys uniform where he belongs. What the hell are you waiting on???

Blueoxen22

Spectator
Reaction score
Agreed. The longer he is available, the lower the cost. Simple supply and demand. Even better if he holds out.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Time to go all in!
Because we're soooooooo close?

We're not. Thomas isn't the "missing piece" he is one of about a dozen missing pieces not the least of which is a real head coach. He won't make any more difference for this team than a rain drop in a lake. And that rain drop doesn't cost a high draft pick and millions of cap dollars.

Where it likely would make a difference is Jerry's income, as idiots fork over their money for Thomas jerseys and other swag.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

We're not. Thomas isn't the "missing piece" he is one of about a dozen missing pieces not the least of which is a real head coach. He won't make any more difference for this team than a rain drop in a lake. And that rain drop doesn't cost a high draft pick and millions of cap dollars.

Where it likely would make a difference is Jerry's income, as idiots fork over their money for Thomas jerseys and other swag.

I was going to take a new profile pic wearing a custom earl thomas jersey and a big foam cowboy hat but now you are gving me second thoughts

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Isn’t he giving up nearly $800k each game he sits out?

That shit ain’t gonna last long. I don’t care how much money you have or how strong your convictions are

Giving up $800k each week will change anyone’s mind

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Isn’t he giving up nearly $800k each game he sits out?

That shit ain’t gonna last long. I don’t care how much money you have or how strong your convictions are

Giving up $800k each week will change anyone’s mind

We'll see he seems dug in just like Seattle management is. He probably doesn't want to play for a massive rebuilding effort and probably knows Peter Carroll is a short timer as well. He loved Kris Richard and he's gone.

He only has to report for the last 6 or so games IIRC to count this as a year of service.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score

You're right, he's not the missing piece, he's an added piece to what already looks like a pretty good D. My thinking is the front office doesn't believe we're quite there yet, so why hire this mercenary? Just a waste of money. If you think you're going to make a run at a championship you stock up on players like this for a season or 2 if you can. Pile up the impact players.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You're right, he's not the missing piece, he's an added piece to what already looks like a pretty good D. My thinking is the front office doesn't believe we're quite there yet, so why hire this mercenary? Just a waste of money. If you think you're going to make a run at a championship you stock up on players like this for a season or 2 if you can. Pile up the impact players.

We're not some 0-16 or 2-14 team that is devoid of talent. I hate the mentality of "we're not one player away" all the fucking time. It's an excuse to sit on your ass and do nothing.

This team was 13-3 two yrs ago and 9-7 last yr despite missing its best player for 6 games and its LT crippled for most of the 2nd half of the season. The defense has been built to be a real strength and has a potentially really good front 7 with two quality starting CB's. The missing piece on D right now is a ballhawking FS, someone who can help the defense take advantage of what appears to be a pretty strong pass rush.

With the contracts Mack and Donald got this week and Lawrence's comments that he does not want to play under the franchise tag next yr, if he duplicates or exceed what he did in 2017 he might be impossible to sign next year. Take advantage of him still being here and Prescott's rookie deal, make a fucking bold move that might move the defense to pretty good/good to really dominant and hope that a dominant D and strong running game+ QB that takes care of the football can help you make a real run.

We haven't done shit in 22 yrs. Time to do something

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The idiots on Undisputed say we should fork over a 2 and a 5. Um, no.

Top Bottom