bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1525021098-NS_27esch11AJ.jpg

The 2018 NFL draft at AT&T Stadium has come and gone, so now it's time for overall grades.

Here is a roundup of scores and analysis from across the nation for the Dallas Cowboys' newest class of draftees. Scroll to the bottom to vote in our grades poll!

National grades

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN: The Cowboys had clear needs in this draft, and there were more than three. After Anthony Hitchens signed a big-money deal with the Chiefs in free agency, Dallas knew it needed to find a middle linebacker. After the Cowboys cut Dez Bryant earlier this month, they had to target a wide receiver, even with the signings of Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson. They needed to figure out whether La'el Collins was going to stick at right tackle or move back to left guard. They needed a one-technique defensive tackle. And they needed a tight end, which looks even more pressing now with Jason Witten on the brink of retirement.

So I can see what Jerry Jones & Co. did on the first two days of the draft. I had Bama linebacker Rashaan Evans higher on my board, but I can't deny Leighton Vander Esch's high ceiling. The Cowboys see him as a Rolando McClain-type middle linebacker, who can be a playmaker against the pass and stick backs behind the line of scrimmage. Vander Esch surged up boards after the combine, but he had only one great year of tape at Boise State.

I see Connor Williams as more likely to move inside to guard, so that means Collins could stick at tackle. And that's a good value at No. 50 -- Williams looked like a top-15 pick in 2016 but dipped a bit on play and measurables -- his arms are a little short. I said on Friday night that Dallas grabbing wide receiver Michael Gallup was one of my favorite picks of the third round. He's an underrated player but don't expect him to replace Bryant. Dorance Armstrong Jr. (116) had an injury-plagued 2017 season but had 10 sacks in 2016. You trust defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli to get the best out of him. Dalton Schultz (137) isn't going to replace Witten, but at least Schultz isn't allergic to blocking. I thought Mike White (171) could have gone late in the second round, so that's a good pick. If Bo Scarbrough can play special teams, that's a good pick late in the seventh round.

Where was the defensive tackle, though? That's still a weakness, and maybe Dallas can find a street free agent to play a role. And if Witten does retire, do they have a starting-caliber tight end on the roster?

GRADE: B-

Chad Reuter, NFL.com: Vander Esch is a talented off-the-ball linebacker who can move on the outside and slip tackles inside to find the ball. The Cowboys needed to bolster the position, but should they have found a pass-catcher here instead given their dire need at the position and having their pick of the best? It's a good pick -- if his neck truly is not a problem. Williams will likely play guard for the Cowboys. He'll join a nasty group up front and has the talent to make Pro Bowls. They found a future starter at receiver with Gallup. His progress as a rookie will have a large effect on how the passing offense performs in 2018. Jason Witten's expected retirement forced the team to find a tight end, and Schultz should be a move-the-chains guy for years to come. White was picked up in the fifth round to be a strong backup to Dak Prescott, but he has starter qualities. [Chris] Covington is another coverage linebacker with great potential as a special-teamer, as well. Scarbrough struggled to become "the man" at Alabama, but he'll be a worthwhile seventh-round pick if he can lower his pads and run hard consistently. The trade with the Raiders to acquire Jihad Ward at defensive tackle met the only need left on their board.

GRADE: A-

Andy Benoit, MMQB: Dallas's biggest need was wide receiver -- even before Dez Bryant's release -- but even with every WR still on the board, the team drafted Leighton Vander Esch with the No. 19 pick. He doesn't fill an immediate need, as today's nickel-package-driven NFL demands you have only two quality linebackers, so the Cowboys must really love him. Jaylon Smith wasn't quite as dynamic last season as hoped, but if there's still optimism for him in 2018 and beyond (and there should be), it reasons that Vander Esch is here to supplant Sean Lee. Though still elite, Lee is nearly 32 and has a long history of injuries.

The day after Vander Esch arrived, future Hall-of-Famer Jason Witten retired, leaving a hole at tight end. The Cowboys may have been geared up to draft Dallas Goedert at Round 2, pick 17, but they got leapfrogged by division rival Philadelphia. Ouch. The "consolation prize" was tackle Connor Williams, a late-first or early-second-round prospect who may have been their target anyway. Instead of fixing weaknesses, the Cowboys will augment a super strength into a super, SUPER strength, adding Williams to what was already by far the NFL's best offensive line. This could eventually move La'el Collins back to left guard, where he has shown a lot more promise. That would make one pick upgrading two positions.

Third-rounder Michael Gallup has a chance to start right away, mostly due to the paucity of quality Cowboys receivers. Overall, this draft gave Dallas a lot of talent, but it did little to immediately improve a team that is ready to compete for an NFC East title right now.

GRADE: C+

Dan Kadar, SB Nation: Leighton Vander Esch getting picked by the Cowboys was expected to happen if he was available, and that was the case. In him Dallas got a great athlete who can patrol the middle of the field. He's an asset in coverage with his ability to read the quarterback and make a break on the ball.

After the better tight ends were taken off the board by the time Dallas picked at No. 50, the Cowboys got good value in offensive lineman Connor Williams. He could fit at tackle or guard in the NFL, particularly if the Cowboys want to move La'el Collins inside.

Colorado State wide receiver Michael Gallup was one of my favorite picks of the draft at No. 81. He's not a direct replacement for Dez Bryant, but does a lot of the same things. Boise State's Cedrick Wilson, taken at No. 208 overall is a nice speed player. Watch out for fourth-round pick Dorance Armstrong. He struggled last season, but his 2016 tape was good for a pass rusher.

GRADE: B+

Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com: No one was a bigger winner in the 2018 NFL Draft than the Cowboys, who did a fantastic job of hosting the event while simultaneously adding quality talent to fill key positions of need each day. Dallas thrilled the hometown fans with the selection of Boise State linebacker Leighton Vander Esch at No. 19 overall, an ascending prospect with the instincts, athleticism and perhaps most important, durability. Dallas lacked the latter at that position and saw only flashes from Jaylon Smith and even star Sean Lee. It then reinforced the strength of the team -- the offensive line -- with falling local product Connor Williams who could prove to be a Pro Bowler at left guard and addressed the need for pass-catchers with nationally underrated receivers Michael Gallup and Cedrick Wilson in the third and sixth rounds, respectively. Tight end Dalton Schultz won't have anyone forgetting about Jason Witten any time soon, but he is a quality prospect who should be able to at least fortify the position. Similarly, Dallas found quality backup options at defensive end, quarterback and running back to their current stars in Dorance Armstrong Jr., Mike White and Bo Scarbrough, respectively.

GRADE: A

Nate Davis, USA Today: Leighton Vander Esch dismissed rumors about his neck, though medical concerns have sadly become commonplace in Dallas' linebacker room. Assuming he's OK, he was a good decision in Round 1 rather than reaching for a receiver. Jerry Jones and Co. got leapfrogged in the second round by Philadelphia, which took TE Dallas Goedert ... who might have been a fine replacement for Jason Witten. Still, the Cowboys got an excellent player 50th overall in Connor Williams, who will further strengthen what's arguably the league's top O-line. WR Michael Gallup (3rd round) and TE Dalton Schultz (4th) won't make anyone forget Dez Bryant or Witten, but that shouldn't be the expectation. Trading for versatile Tavon Austin was a low-risk investment at the cost of a sixth rounder. Fifth-round QB Mike White could give Cooper Rush a summer battle to be Dak Prescott's backup.

GRADE: B

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News: Vander Esch was a tremendous first-round get by Jerry Jones to round out the Cowboys' linebacker corps. The next best pick was Schultz, a potential starter soon with the Jason Witten retirement thoughts becoming a reality. Other than that, including the trades for Tavon Austin and Jihad Ward, it was a mixed bag that didn't reflect the Cowboys' status as a contender in the NFC East.

GRADE: B

The Dallas Morning News

Tim Cowlishaw: C ... Leighton Vander Esch might be the only Day 1 starter the team acquired, and even that's no sure thing. After lots of rumors about Earl Thomas, Cowboys never addressed safety and left themselves with young, unproven secondary for 2018.

Kevin Sherrington: B ... The Cowboys conceivably filled holes at LB, G, WR and TE. They used trades to get depth at DT and a "web back," a new one on me. A pretty good weekend, overall. But failing to come up with a safety, either by trade or through the draft, keeps this good class from an A grade.

Brandon George: B+ ... First-round pick LB Leighton Vander Esch and second-round pick OG Connor Williams should earn starting spots for the opener. If not, this draft grade is too high. My favorite pick, however, is third-round receiver Michael Gallup. He was impressive during Senior Bowl practices. The Cowboys thought they needed to trade back into the third round to get DE Dorance Armstrong, but he fell to them in the fourth.

David Moore: B+ ... The Cowboys did a good job of filling areas of need without reaching. Their picks didn't pack much of a wow factor, but none of them left you scratching your head as you wonder what in the world they were thinking. It's hard to strike that balance, especially given where the team was drafting in each round.

Jon Machota: B+ ... Between making picks and working trades, most needs were met. The safety position is still a work in progress, but that could be addressed via free agency or trade. Connor Williams and Bo Scarbrough were my favorite picks. The most intriguing players they passed on during Day 3: Mo Hurst, Shaquem Griffin, Josh Sweat and Equanimeous St. Brown.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Yahoo:

Dallas Cowboys

Picks: ILB Leighton Vander Esch (1); G Connor Williams (2); WR Michael Gallup (3); DE Dorance Armstrong (4); TE Dalton Schultz (4); QB Mike White (5); LB Chris Covington (6); WR Cedrick Wilson (6); RB Bo Scarbrough (7).

Analysis: The Cowboys’ draft might be remembered for what could have happened. Linebacker Leighton Vander Esch, the first-round pick, is a good player but the Cowboys passed every receiver in their post-Dez Bryant world to get him. It seemed they were primed to grab tight end Dallas Goedert at No. 50 overall, but the Eagles traded to No. 49 and took him. The Cowboys took offensive lineman Connor Williams instead. The third round netted receiver Michael Gallup, a good prospect who will be under a lot of pressure because of the Cowboys’ need at the position. Stanford tight end Dalton Schultz became a necessity in the fourth round due to Jason Witten’s reported impending retirement, but he’s not a dynamic receiver. At some point the Cowboys are going to have to seriously invest in premium targets for Dak Prescott (and trading away slot receiver Ryan Switzer and trading for Rams bust Tavon Austin doesn’t meet that need).

Grade: C-

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This draft will be mostly determined on LVE. Heard on Golic and Wingo this AM, McShay talking about LVE on tape. Said his main concern when you watch him is that he ends up making tackles 3 yards off the LOS that Roquan Smith makes at the LOS. Slow to diagnose, poor angles and technique. Anybody think there is a coach on staff that can correct this besides Sean Lee?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
These draft analysis grades are all over the place for us. I’ve seen anywhere from A- to C-

I guess it depends on if the person grading our draft either lives us or hates us because I’ve seen about an equal number of all grades.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I give it a B based on everything after round 1. The jury is way out on LVE and no way you can complain about Connor Williams. I think both trades they made amount to very little. In fact Switzer though obviously not a high IQ player was one of the few guys on offense that actually had some speed.

Top Bottom