Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hey Dooms, how do you like the fire stick?

I’m looking at an alternative for direct tv which I’ve had for over 20 years or more.

They keep going up in price, the customer service keeps dropping in quality and now the prime ticket is priced so high it’s just plain dumb to keep paying for it

What all do you get with the fire stick?

Is it something that could replace direct tv for most programming or is it more of an add on for extra programming

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Hey Dooms, how do you like the fire stick?

I’m looking at an alternative for direct tv which I’ve had for over 20 years or more.

They keep going up in price, the customer service keeps dropping in quality and now the prime ticket is priced so high it’s just plain dumb to keep paying for it

What all do you get with the fire stick?

Is it something that could replace direct tv for most programming or is it more of an add on for extra programming

I "jailbroke" mine after buying it refurbished on Amazon for 25 bucks. "Jailbroke" means you installed an app or apps on it that allows you to greatly expand the capabilities of the fire stick. I chose an app called TerrariumTV and it's great.

The fire stick by itself is great for streaming TV especially if you're a Prime member.

There's no charges for using it, no contracts or anything like that.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I "jailbroke" mine after buying it refurbished on Amazon for 25 bucks. "Jailbroke" means you installed an app or apps on it that allows you to greatly expand the capabilities of the fire stick. I chose an app called TerrariumTV and it's great.

The fire stick by itself is great for streaming TV especially if you're a Prime member.

There's no charges for using it, no contracts or anything like that.

What could you equate it’s content to? Meaning does it give you access to the same stuff like direct tv or a cable company would? Such as HBO, espn, and Chanel’s like that?

I already have a smart tv and PS4 which give me access to Netflix, amazon prime, Hulu and similar streaming programs. So if that’s the type of content it provides then it’s not really needed

I’m looking for something to hopefully replace direct tv

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What could you equate it’s content to? Meaning does it give you access to the same stuff like direct tv or a cable company would? Such as HBO, espn, and Chanel’s like that?

I already have a smart tv and PS4 which give me access to Netflix, amazon prime, Hulu and similar streaming programs. So if that’s the type of content it provides then it’s not really needed

I’m looking for something to hopefully replace direct tv

Installing Terrarium explodes your selection far beyond what cable or satellite offers. But alone, fire tv stick is about what the smart tv has.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dooms

I'll give you one example. First-run movies currently in theaters? Streamable on TerrariumTV.

But it can also be hit or miss - it totally depends on which bit torrent you choose when the list of available sources populates, for any given title.

Some are better than others as far as pipeline size and bitrate are concerned.

If you get a fire tv stick it's ONLY the initial cost you pay though. Nothing further, not monthly or anything else. You're a rich dude, you can afford it even if it's just an additional toy.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I used to mess with torrents and the program Vuse

But my ISP clamped the fuck down on that and kept sending me threatening emails every time I’d DL a new movie

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I used to mess with torrents and the program Vuse

But my ISP clamped the fuck down on that and kept sending me threatening emails every time I’d DL a new movie
Possible that could happen here, but I've heard that usually they just block the torrent. I haven't tried it with current first-run stuff, nothing currently in theaters interests me.

I'm just a po' boy with his 2007 model 42-inch Pioneer Plasma TV, it's not a smart TV by any means. So the FireTV stick really helps it. I was able to reduce my TV cable selections, down to just basic cable now plus internet. I have 250GB monthly allotment and have yet to really make a dent in that by streaming. Basically I get a lot more of stuff I want to watch without paying for 200 channels most of which were useless to me anyway.

In the FireTV you have apps already installed, just waiting for you to activate. Stuff like Sling, for example. SeeBS all-access, HBO and all of the other pay movie channels, etc. so you can pick or choose which ones you want to pay for. Netflix there too. It's a one-stop shop. I'm confident you can use it instead of the Direct-TV and save money doing so.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Possible that could happen here, but I've heard that usually they just block the torrent. I haven't tried it with current first-run stuff, nothing currently in theaters interests me.

I'm just a po' boy with his 2007 model 42-inch Pioneer Plasma TV, it's not a smart TV by any means. So the FireTV stick really helps it. I was able to reduce my TV cable selections, down to just basic cable now plus internet. I have 250GB monthly allotment and have yet to really make a dent in that by streaming. Basically I get a lot more of stuff I want to watch without paying for 200 channels most of which were useless to me anyway.

In the FireTV you have apps already installed, just waiting for you to activate. Stuff like Sling, for example. SeeBS all-access, HBO and all of the other pay movie channels, etc. so you can pick or choose which ones you want to pay for. Netflix there too. It's a one-stop shop. I'm confident you can use it instead of the Direct-TV and save money doing so.

Thx again Dooms. I’ll look into it

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i havent used terrerrium yet but i used to have kodi on the fire tv and it was a pain in the ass staying current w the updates. very glitchy

but when it was working, it was pretty sweet

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
i havent used terrerrium yet but i used to have kodi on the fire tv and it was a pain in the ass staying current w the updates. very glitchy

but when it was working, it was pretty sweet

I installed kodi too and yeah it's just a glitch machine. Hardly ever access it anymore.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
youre not the first person i heard talk about terrerrium either

i am going to try it and i really hope its worth it. i have just a fire tv stick in the bed room for movies and bullshit but i was able to watch some thursday night games and a few others i was able to stream on my ipad. so if terrerrium works out then i will have another option and pretty much eliminate the occasional red box trip.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
youre not the first person i heard talk about terrerrium either

i am going to try it and i really hope its worth it. i have just a fire tv stick in the bed room for movies and bullshit but i was able to watch some thursday night games and a few others i was able to stream on my ipad. so if terrerrium works out then i will have another option and pretty much eliminate the occasional red box trip.

Doesn't take much to be "worth it" when it costs zero. You'll dig it but like any such app results vary depending on the sources it gives you.

But unlike kodi it gets rid of bad sources in the updates. So in theory it gets better all the time. I very seldom have any buffering, I also exclusively use the Yes player.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I have been really enjoying my Terrarium-FireTV Stick. Watching shows and movies you can't get even on Netflix or Satellite, cable or anything else. Been binge watching old A-Team episodes, Sopranos, and even found the really really old "Combat!" TV series! Even been watching 1965-circa game shows like "What's My Line."

Found the Clint Eastwood/Charlie Sheen vehicle "The Rookie" and watched it, I could live to be 400 years old and not watch everything I can find on Terrarium. Even dug up the old series "Alias Smith and Jones."

Well worth the 30-buck outlay and still am yet to even scratch the surface of my data allotment.

Top Bottom