bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1524351388-NS_29star1.jpg

By Brandon George , Staff Writer Contact Brandon George on Twitter: @DMN_George

Cowboys fans face a frightening reality with the NFL draft headed to town.

This Cowboys team that ended the season Dec. 31 with a 9-7 record and out of the playoffs hasn't improved over the last four months.

Now Dallas needs to score a big victory in the first Texas-based draft.

In this high-stakes game of backyard football, the Cowboys need to resemble the kid flexing rather than the one rolling on the ground crying.

The Cowboys need a draft that duplicates their immediate-impact haul of 2016 rather than what they experienced last year.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones made it clear from the outset in January that Dallas wouldn't be a big player in free agency.

But the Cowboys' rough offseason has been more about what they've lost instead of what they possibly missed out on in free agency.

The Cowboys released their No. 1 receiver, Dez Bryant, this month after having bid adieu to one of their top cornerbacks, Orlando Scandrick, in March.

Dallas also cut defensive end Benson Mayowa, who had six sacks two years ago, and chose not to re-sign free-agent linebacker Anthony Hitchens and offensive lineman Jonathan Cooper. Hitchens has started the last two seasons at middle linebacker and was among the team's top tacklers. Cooper started 13 games last season at left guard.

The free agent additions of receivers Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson, offensive linemen Cameron Fleming and Marcus Martin and defensive end Kony Ealy don't make up for all the losses.

The Cowboys managed to plug a few holes but others have opened up, putting pressure on the organization to hit more home runs than singles with their 10 draft picks starting Thursday.

At the top of the needs list are receiver, linebacker and safety.

And no matter what receiver the Cowboys draft, he's unlikely to walk in as a more talented player than Bryant.

Cowboys executives believe they can get more out of linebacker Jaylon Smith in 2018 than he showed in his first season on the field last year coming back from a serious knee injury. However, that's an unknown, and the departure of Hitchens has to be addressed.

The Cowboys also need a starting safety now that they have committed to moving Byron Jones back to cornerback.

Oh, and the Cowboys need a starting left guard now that Cooper has signed with San Francisco, and depth is needed along the defensive line and at tight end.

Dallas can help itself by finding multiple starters with its first three picks. That isn't always easy.

But in 2016, the Cowboys' strong draft paved the way for an NFC East title and a 13-3 regular season.

Dallas used the No. 4 pick on running back Ezekiel Elliott and drafted its new franchise quarterback in the fourth round in Dak Prescott. In between, the Cowboys selected Smith in the second round and immediate defensive tackle starter Maliek Collins in the third round.

The Cowboys also did well with their first two of four picks in the sixth round in 2016, selecting cornerback Anthony Brown (he's started 19 games in his first two seasons) and safety Kavon Frazier, who could compete for a starting job now that Jones is at cornerback again.

Last year's draft wasn't as productive -- at least not yet -- for the Cowboys. Their first-round pick, defensive end Taco Charlton, had only 19 tackles as a rookie and didn't start. Second- and third-round cornerbacks Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis battled hamstring injuries early on as rookies and didn't contribute much until the final month of the season. The other six draft picks in the 2017 class either didn't make the final roster or haven't shown much yet.

The Cowboys have lost four starters this offseason while adding only one (Hurns) -- or potentially two (Fleming) -- and now need to deliver high impact with this year's draft class.

If they don't, it could be a long road ahead for Jason Garrett in what sets up to be a make-or-break season for the head coach. Garrett might need at least 10 wins and a playoff appearance to save his job.

And the Cowboys must have another 2016-like draft to save face this offseason.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The frightening reality
It's only "frightening" to those who are stupid enough to believe the occasional aberrant 10-plus winning seasons are the reality of what this team is. We who understand 8-8 and below is the actual reality of this team under Ginger regardless of the roster talent aren't frightened at all.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
22+ years of Jerry and his futility has made reality anything but frightening. More like numbing.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Cowboys managed to plug a few holes but others have opened up,
Hurns probably comes fairly close to Dez recent production. As for the rest of the shit they pulled out of the bargain bin, you hope they rarely see the field.
The Cowboys also need a starting safety now that they have committed to moving Byron Jones back to cornerback.
They needed a starting safety when he was the safety. This guy couldnt tackle me and I am an AARP member.

If they don't, it could be a long road ahead for Jason Garrett
Not nearly as long as it has been for the fans.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
what is that aluminum foil piece of shit behind jerry??

Terrance mcclain

Spectator
Reaction score
Hurns probably comes fairly close to Dez recent production. As for the rest of the shit they pulled out of the bargain bin, you hope they rarely see the field.
They needed a starting safety when he was the safety. This guy couldnt tackle me and I am an AARP member.

Not nearly as long as it has been for the fans.

I think Byron Jones fears contact, which is detrimental if your a safety, but he had that
Nice sparq score, so its all good ..... Or so the homers
Tell me

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Byron Jones fears contact, which is detrimental if your a safety, but he had that
Nice sparq score, so its all good ..... Or so the homers
Tell me

The guy was not good as a rookie when they tried him at CB on the outside. Maybe he is better as some kind of slot/ hybrid on TEs. I have seen guys that are so bad at tackling that they couldnt rough up pillow. Prime Time and Claiborne come to mind, this guy was right up there with them. Just for that alone he never should have been tried at Safety. I really dont understand why they are picking up his option. There are guys like him in the 3rd and 4th round of every draft like clockwork, and those guys get paid accordingly.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
The guy was not good as a rookie when they tried him at CB on the outside. Maybe he is better as some kind of slot/ hybrid on TEs. I have seen guys that are so bad at tackling that they couldnt rough up pillow. Prime Time and Claiborne come to mind, this guy was right up there with them. Just for that alone he never should have been tried at Safety. I really dont understand why they are picking up his option. There are guys like him in the 3rd and 4th round of every draft like clockwork, and those guys get paid accordingly.

Yea but in Dallas if u spend a 1st on a guy you have to prove you were right picking him in the 1st. Thats the most important thing.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yea but in Dallas if u spend a 1st on a guy you have to prove you were right picking him in the 1st. Thats the most important thing.

Extremely sad...

But no truer words have ever been spoken.....errrr.....typed

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

good, jeri sucks at trades and I don't trust guys on their 3rd contract approaching 30.

If he was a free agent, then maybe a 3 year deal where the bonus is absorbed in 2 leaving no dead cap in year 3 plus, Giving picks and lots of cap room doesn't seem like a smart move in a young mans game with a salary cap.

Having said that, I'm no talent evaluator and don't know his character, if he's the next Charles Woodson and gonna play at a high level until he's 40, then hell yeah, sign him up but do we trust the Cowboys bozos to make this evaluation?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Byron Jones
Randy Gregory
Taco Charlton

Player evaluation?

We got this!

Dude, seriously you're throwing Taco in there? Guy's been in the league less than a year.

Gregory was a gamble, but the pick was extremely late 2nd. At that point the gamble was worth it on a guy most had rated as a top-10 overall player.

Byron Jones hasn't worked out so far as well as everyone wanted, but he was a late 1st rd pick who has started for over two of his three seasons.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I'd love to see us get him, but not at any cost.

If they'd accept a mid rd pick or two or a mid rd pick and a player (like Heath or Beasley) then it would be worth it.

Otherwise pass.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd love to see us get him, but not at any cost.

If they'd accept a mid rd pick or two or a mid rd pick and a player (like Heath or Beasley) then it would be worth it.

Otherwise pass.

Have to agree. Anything more and I'd rather trade up for a younger player this draft over a 29 year old.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dude, seriously you're throwing Taco in there? Guy's been in the league less than a year.

Gregory was a gamble, but the pick was extremely late 2nd. At that point the gamble was worth it on a guy most had rated as a top-10 overall player.

Byron Jones hasn't worked out so far as well as everyone wanted, but he was a late 1st rd pick who has started for over two of his three seasons.

Which all speaks to their inability to evaluate a player correctly/accurately

Hell, they still don’t know what fucking position for play Jones at and it’s his fifth damn year!

These were just the few players that came to mind in the 5-6 seconds it took me to write the reply. I’m sure I could come up with many more examples (and better ones) if I put forth some effort.

Top Bottom