Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We've got serious holes to fill at LB, DL, WR, S, and even OL depending on how healthy T Smith is. We've got issues. This team is 8 and 8, at best and no where near as talented as you may think. And I won't even go into how I feel about the team at QB.

We can draft a DL or LB, trade for you know who at S, and take a WR with the 2nd pick. No team is perfect and just like with Dez I don't put all of the blame on Dak. This team checked out last season and that's what I'm worried about. It reminded me a little of 2010 and that wasn't Romo's fault. I'm hoping I never see that again.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I dunno, I see this team being more talented than our usual 8-8 season teams in more areas.
Even when the W/L record at the end of the season is 13-3, we're still a 8-8 team, talent wise and in every other way. There's many reasons for that not the least of which is free agency, salary cap and how they're managed. Most teams in the league are just like us - 8-8 teams. Because this is the MODEL for this league. Parity.

Year in and year out there are 14 or so mediocre teams, of which we have been near the top tier of. (Any of which can pull off a 12-4 season any given year.) Then there's 8 or so really bad ones, and 10 really good ones, year in and year out.

The 10 really good ones are the good ones year in and year out because of their Front Office and how they handle business. They hire better coaches, better player personnel people, and tend to get more out of the average player than the rest of the league does.

Parity has made management and coaching the top priority. Not player talent.

Reaction score
We don’t need additional time or prepare for any team. With Garrett still at the helm it’s not going to matter anyway regardless of who we may be playing

Yep. It sure seems like the Cowboys always come out flat when they have too much time off in the Garrett era.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Even when the W/L record at the end of the season is 13-3, we're still a 8-8 team, talent wise and in every other way. There's many reasons for that not the least of which is free agency, salary cap and how they're managed. Most teams in the league are just like us - 8-8 teams. Because this is the MODEL for this league. Parity.

Year in and year out there are 14 or so mediocre teams, of which we have been near the top tier of. (Any of which can pull off a 12-4 season any given year.) Then there's 8 or so really bad ones, and 10 really good ones, year in and year out.

The 10 really good ones are the good ones year in and year out because of their Front Office and how they handle business. They hire better coaches, better player personnel people, and tend to get more out of the average player than the rest of the league does.

Parity has made management and coaching the top priority. Not player talent.

As a general rule you are pretty much spot on. You're right in that you just can't buy talent and overwhelm everyone else. But part of the process is putting the better talent on the field in the right places within the limits. It's a totally different ballgame than it used to be and we're not very good at it.

We should have won that game at GB in 2014. Murray fumbling at the worst possible time (when we were taking control of the game) and the Dez non catch was too much to overcome. That team was considerably better than those 8-8 teams we had 3 years in a row. But I understand what you're saying. There is a fine line.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We can draft a DL or LB, trade for you know who at S, and take a WR with the 2nd pick. No team is perfect and just like with Dez I don't put all of the blame on Dak. This team checked out last season and that's what I'm worried about. It reminded me a little of 2010 and that wasn't Romo's fault. I'm hoping I never see that again.

Sure we can draft a player for each position of need but that doesn't mean we will or that we'll draft well enough to fill those holes. But I disagree with your premise that this team is more talented than our usual 8 and 8 teams. We're less talented at the most crucial position....QB. Nothing else matters.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
No, it really wasn't.

I think our offense played better. The Cowboys seem to try to win using ball control exclusively, because the D wasn't any better. That isn't easy to do and it's probably why Dallas has 2 good seasons under Garrett. Our D was not better, it was the offense that was more efficient.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sure we can draft a player for each position of need but that doesn't mean we will or that we'll draft well enough to fill those holes. But I disagree with your premise that this team is more talented than our usual 8 and 8 teams. We're less talented at the most crucial position....QB. Nothing else matters.

Yes we are. But all QBs need help, or at least most of them do. WRs have to get some separation during the time the OL gives the QB. You can blame whoever you want if this doesn't happen, game planning, aging WRs, QB, whatever. But there was a difference between 2016 and '17. Even when Dak had time he had to wait for it to be a busted play, scramble, and find an open WR in 2017. I hardly saw this at all during 2016 except for the Giants game we lost 10-7. So what changed?

Top Bottom