dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This just makes too much damn sense for it to happen here, so I know I shouldn't bother getting my hopes up.

Troy Aikman plots life after Fox: I want to run NFL team

Preparing for the draft has opened Troy Aikman’s eyes.

The Cowboys’ Hall of Fame quarterback said he is strongly considering pursuing an NFL front-office job in the near future.
“That’s always been an interest of mine,” Aikman told “The Doomsday Podcast.”

“If the opportunity does present itself, and I am not saying it will, I’d have to take a hard look at it. I’ve said many times that I do believe there is another frontier for me beyond television. And I love my broadcasting career, I’ve loved doing it, it’s afforded me a lot of time with my girls, who have a few years left before they’re off to college. When that happens I’ll be able to take a step back and say what exactly do I want to do.”

Aikman has been with Fox since he retired in 2000 and has been a part of the top broadcasting team since his second season at the network. Aikman confirmed a report by The Post’s Andrew Marchand that he is in talks with Fox for him and Joe Buck to also call the network’s recently acquired Thursday night package. Aikman will be a part of the NFL Network’s draft coverage on April 26, which will be simulcast on Fox.

Aikman, 51, is confident after speaking with Broncos president John Elway that his abilities would translate to a front-office job.

“Do I want to continue with broadcasting or maybe get involved with something else? That something else very well may be a front-office opportunity,” Aikman said. “That would require a change of lifestyle, a change of location, it wouldn’t happen here in Dallas. I think it’d be something I’d be really good at it.

“The challenge of it would be the most compelling part. As a player I had beliefs of how a team should be run, the type of players that would be required. I remember talking to John Elway about it, he wanted to prove a former player could do it. All these GMs think, ‘Oh, what does this guy know.’ What John Elway told me was he knows what a championship locker room looks like, and he’s been on those teams.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Imagine if you will...

[video=youtube;VOgFZfRVaww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgFZfRVaww[/video]

or maybe

[video=youtube;N_lrrq_opng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_lrrq_opng[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You know, if Jerry REALLY wanted to make the ultimate in-Dallas draft "splash", how about announcing to that live crowd that he was hiring Troy as Head of Football Ops or whatever title he wants to give him, and says Aikman is taking over the day to day running of the football team. Personnel, coaching everything etc etc

He could go from most hated man to most adored in 5 minutes that night.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

Except in his own eyes he would hate himself and his self adoration would take a hit and he'd much rather have the praise of himself than the praise of 1000's of fans.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Aikman told “The Doomsday Podcast.”

I listened to that this morning, good interview.

Damn shame he'll have to GM for some team other than Dallas, my optimism would shoot through the roof if he became the GM of football for the Cowboys

Reaction score
You know, if Jerry REALLY wanted to make the ultimate in-Dallas draft "splash", how about announcing to that live crowd that he was hiring Troy as Head of Football Ops or whatever title he wants to give him, and says Aikman is taking over the day to day running of the football team. Personnel, coaching everything etc etc

This would be my reaction:

[video=youtube;zS1cLOIxsQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1cLOIxsQ8[/video]

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score

You are spot on. But I think Jones might be a megalomaniac. He's not going to have someone else take credit for championships. How else do you explain what happened with Jimmy after 2 straight SB wins? I give Jimmy credit for the third too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You are spot on. But I think Jones might be a megalomaniac. He's not going to have someone else take credit for championships. How else do you explain what happened with Jimmy after 2 straight SB wins? I give Jimmy credit for the third too.

Yep, unfortunately Jones is an idiot who would rather lose "his way" than simply take credit for hiring the people who built a continuous winner.

And that's why we've been the epitome of mediocre since the last Super Bowl team in 1995.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'd like to see Aikman get a shot at GM in Dallas, but I'm afraid Jerry has already hired a medium to hold seances for his input after he passes.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd like to see Aikman get a shot at GM in Dallas, but I'm afraid Jerry has already hired a medium to hold seances for his input after he passes.

LOL

Sad but true

They can put Jeruh’s frozen head in the glass jar in the center of the table during the weekly seance

Top Bottom