Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No I don't see a QB as the first pick.
They need MLB,LB,S,OL and a 3rd QB
I imagine they could go WR, but at this moment in time
I leaning on OG/MLB/DT-DE...
By the bolded I take it you mean Jerry will resist the temptation, if Mayfield is still there when we make our pick.

You're right about our needs and we're all too painfully aware of them. The question is, will Jerry disregard that and go for the big splash.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
They said they made the move up for Wentz because they didn't like the crop of college QBs coming after him. Two years later, five of them might be drafted in the first round.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Would we dare take him with our 1st pick? No.

Would we call up every team that needs a franchise QB and try to get a king's ransom for that pick?

I hope so.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
taking mayfield does 3 things:

challenges & pressures dak immediately just by picking qb in the 1st 3 rounds. maybe dak becomes dak again

builds your assets. it doesnt even matter if they suck. look at the qb being traded and signed every yr

get to see if mayfield is the real deal, which would ultimately be the best case scenario. you can trade dak for a huge haul.

therefore

i dont see how you do not take mayfield if he drops that far

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

challenges & pressures dak immediately just by picking qb in the 1st 3 rounds. maybe dak becomes dak again

builds your assets. it doesnt even matter if they suck. look at the qb being traded and signed every yr

get to see if mayfield is the real deal, which would ultimately be the best case scenario. you can trade dak for a huge haul.

therefore

Exactly my thinking. If he is there at 19 or whenever it is we make our first pick, you gotta pull that trigger.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

therefore

You only do that if you don't believe Prescott is the answer.

Otherwise in the salary cap era and when you have a team with obvious holes that need filled to close the gap on the best team in your division, you don't throw away your only 1st rd pick on a QB when you have a very capable one, especially for one that is not an obvious upgrade.

Lastly, if you can trade Dak "for a huge haul" that tells you that you had a pretty damn good player at QB to begin with, and makes drafting another QB at 19 look even dumber IMO.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

Otherwise in the salary cap era and when you have a team with obvious holes that need filled to close the gap on the best team in your division, you don't throw away your only 1st rd pick on a QB when you have a very capable one, especially for one that is not an obvious upgrade.

Lastly, if you can trade Dak "for a huge haul" that tells you that you had a pretty damn good player at QB to begin with, and makes drafting another QB at 19 look even dumber IMO.

I thought that was a typo, I assumed he meant trading Mayfield, who would have high value as a #1 pick.

If Dak beats him out for the starting job no damage is done to Mayfield's value in the quarterback-poor NFL.

I'd have no gripes at all taking Mayfield.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

maybe i overshot the "huge" part of the haul but at least dallas might actually "win" the trade

regardless of the qb performance outcome after the season, qb holds value and has a higher floor than every other position

and i like dak better when hes worried about job security. i do not like dak sellinng me soda and car insurance

but ya its all a pipe dream because no way linehan lets this team draft a qb now.

when actually the GM should just GM and tell linehan to shut the fuck up and take mayfield anyway

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that Mayfield is going to bust, so I don't want him at all.

I'm not opposed to us addressing QB later in the draft, but when you have a QB who's just entering his 3rd yr and played exceptionally well for the first 25 games of his career, it seems like a bad use of draft capital to draft another QB in the 1st rd this soon.

That said, if THEY believe Prescott has issues that cant be fixed or something else is going on behind the scenes we are not aware of, then picking a QB early (if they believe the guy is legit) is warranted.

Top Bottom