Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Our needs as a team from a player personnel standpoint are fairly obvious. But that known, does anyone think we would DARE to pick Baker Mayfield with our first pick, if he is there when we make our pick?

I think it's highly unlikely. But if Jerry's still stinging from being talked out of picking Johnny Football, who knows?

Thoughts?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would take a QB every draft until I got it right and there's nothing wrong with giving Dak some competition. Or we can all pray for Cooper Rush......

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Our needs as a team from a player personnel standpoint are fairly obvious. But that known, does anyone think we would DARE to pick Baker Mayfield with our first pick, if he is there when we make our pick?

I think it's highly unlikely. But if Jerry's still stinging from being talked out of picking Johnny Football, who knows?

Thoughts?

Not a chance, Stevens already carving out a massive chunk of the cap to give Dak.

good, bad or other they're riding Dak for the next 5+ years

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I would take a QB every draft until I got it right and there's nothing wrong with giving Dak some competition.
But, with your first pick. Was the question. Especially considering our other pressing needs. The Cleveland Browns formula, keep using your #1 pick on a QB until you hit on one didn't work for them.

In later rounds? Why not. At least one, every year wouldn't bother me.

Although I think it's highly unlikely that we would, I wouldn't complain at all if we took Mayfield with our first pick this year.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hinted at where the team may go with the No. 19 overall pick in the draft. “There is some defensive talent that has a chance to drop,” Jones said via David Moore of the Dallas Morning News. “Therein lies your opportunity. … If a number of quarterbacks are taken, a number of running backs are taken, two or three of those offensive tackles hit. Really as much as anything there could be a couple of guards taken ahead of us.”

NFC Notes: 49ers, Rams, Cowboys, Giants

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not a chance, Stevens already carving out a massive chunk of the cap to give Dak.

good, bad or other they're riding Dak for the next 5+ years
I really wish I could say you were full of shit, but we all know this likely plays out.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'd love to keep Dak around as a number 2 QB. I think he is ideal for something like that. If your QB goes down for 8 games he is exactly what the doctor ordered. If you need a QB to carry and elevate the team or win a road playoff game, I just dont see it. Not sure Mayfield is the guy I would draft though. I am a huge Darnold fan, his career likely over before it starts in Cleveland, but with the right team and coach he could be elite.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'd love to keep Dak around as a number 2 QB. I think he is ideal for something like that. If your QB goes down for 8 games he is exactly what the doctor ordered. If you need a QB to carry and elevate the team or win a road playoff game, I just dont see it. Not sure Mayfield is the guy I would draft though. I am a huge Darnold fan, his career likely over before it starts in Cleveland, but with the right team and coach he could be elite.

I've seen indications Mayfield might still be sitting there at 19. Not because he's not well regarded, but because of the needs of the first 18 pickers. He might well drop to us and really, don't we gotta jump on that?

Honestly we don't really know what we have with Dak yet, I can't believe Stevie is really all-in on him, to the point he'd actually retool the personnel to accomodate him?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
But, with your first pick. Was the question. Especially considering our other pressing needs. The Cleveland Browns formula, keep using your #1 pick on a QB until you hit on one didn't work for them.

It hasn't worked for them because they don't do it. The Browns haven't taken a QB with their first pick since 1999 (Tim Couch). They've taken more OL than QB's. Before 1999, it was Kosar in 1985 in the supplemental draft. So really, you've proven my point.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Browns haven't taken a QB with their first pick since 1999 (Tim Couch).
Quinn, Weeden, Manziel? All picked first at #22? I do not mean first overall pick, I mean their first pick. Or am i just not remembering right?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
A couple things I do like are that Mayfield likes to throw downfield, and when he does he is accurate. I think his future depends on where he lands. If he went to NE I think he could be very good, dont see that nearly as likely here.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Quinn, Weeden, Manziel? All picked first at #22? I do not mean first overall pick, I mean their first pick. Or am i just not remembering right?

They weren't taken with their "first" pick which is what you posted. The traded with Philly in 2016 and gave up a franchise QB in Wentz. Then they traded down again with Tennessee. You take the best QB when you're picking that high. And if he busts, you pick QB again with a high first round pick. Everything else is completely meaningless unless you have a QB.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They weren't taken with their "first" pick which is what you posted. The traded with Philly in 2016 and gave up a franchise QB in Wentz. Then they traded down again with Tennessee. You take the best QB when you're picking that high. And if he busts, you pick QB again with a high first round pick. Everything else is completely meaningless unless you have a QB.
They had two picks in the first round, all three years? Used the 2nd 1st round pick to take quarterbacks?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Thoughts?

I don't think so, nor do I think it'd be a smart move at this point unless there are some behind the scenes concerns with Prescott none of us are privy to.

He was too good the first 25 games of his career to essentially give up on him now (which drafting a QB in the 1st would be an admittance to)

If he struggles the way he did the 2nd half of last season, he won't get an early contract extension and IMO it becomes likely the team would look to either draft someone very early next yr or perhaps invest free agent dollars into a proven veteran starter.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It hasn't worked for them because they don't do it. The Browns haven't taken a QB with their first pick since 1999 (Tim Couch). They've taken more OL than QB's. Before 1999, it was Kosar in 1985 in the supplemental draft. So really, you've proven my point.

You are disregarding the fact that they have indeed drafted other QB's very early though, including several with 1st rd picks.

Since the Tim Couch pick, they'd drafted the following QB's: DeShone Kizer (2nd), Cody Kessler (3rd), Johnny Manziel (1st), Brandon Weeden (1st), Colt McCoy (3rd), Brady Quinn (1st), Charlie Frye (3rd), Luke McCown (4th) and Spergon Wynn (6th)

One of those wasted picks ended up playing for us too. (Weeden)

You'd be hard pressed to find a team that in that same time span, invested more draft capital in the QB position. The issue is they draft the WRONG people, not the lack of trying or "when" they were picked. And the decision to move down and not take Carson Wentz was epic level stupidity.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They had two picks in the first round, all three years? Used the 2nd 1st round pick to take quarterbacks?

Yep, they did indeed.

They drafted Justin Gilbert at 8 in 2014, Trent Richardson at 3 in 2012 and Joe Thomas 3rd in 2007

Reaction score
No I don't see a QB as the first pick.
They need MLB,LB,S,OL and a 3rd QB
I imagine they could go WR, but at this moment in time
I leaning on OG/MLB/DT-DE...

Top Bottom