Would we dare? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would we dare?

1. Back To Top    #16
    Star Spangled Butt Kicker Doomsday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger12 View Post
    They weren't taken with their "first" pick which is what you posted. The traded with Philly in 2016 and gave up a franchise QB in Wentz. Then they traded down again with Tennessee. You take the best QB when you're picking that high. And if he busts, you pick QB again with a high first round pick. Everything else is completely meaningless unless you have a QB.
    They had two picks in the first round, all three years? Used the 2nd 1st round pick to take quarterbacks?
    ACCOUNTABILITY

2. Back To Top    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    Our needs as a team from a player personnel standpoint are fairly obvious. But that known, does anyone think we would DARE to pick Baker Mayfield with our first pick, if he is there when we make our pick?

I think it's highly unlikely. But if Jerry's still stinging from being talked out of picking Johnny Football, who knows?

Thoughts?
    I don't think so, nor do I think it'd be a smart move at this point unless there are some behind the scenes concerns with Prescott none of us are privy to.

He was too good the first 25 games of his career to essentially give up on him now (which drafting a QB in the 1st would be an admittance to)

If he struggles the way he did the 2nd half of last season, he won't get an early contract extension and IMO it becomes likely the team would look to either draft someone very early next yr or perhaps invest free agent dollars into a proven veteran starter.
    This needs to be the final season of Garrett & his staff. The greatest coaches on the planet should be candidates to lead the best org in sports. The days of teams blowing the Cowboys’ doors off in halftime adjustments needs to end. Time for change, new direction and a new voice
    — Ben Rogers (@BenRogers) November 20, 2017

3. Appreciation Doomsday appreciated this post
  4. Back To Top    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger12 View Post
    It hasn't worked for them because they don't do it. The Browns haven't taken a QB with their first pick since 1999 (Tim Couch). They've taken more OL than QB's. Before 1999, it was Kosar in 1985 in the supplemental draft. So really, you've proven my point.
    You are disregarding the fact that they have indeed drafted other QB's very early though, including several with 1st rd picks.

Since the Tim Couch pick, they'd drafted the following QB's: DeShone Kizer (2nd), Cody Kessler (3rd), Johnny Manziel (1st), Brandon Weeden (1st), Colt McCoy (3rd), Brady Quinn (1st), Charlie Frye (3rd), Luke McCown (4th) and Spergon Wynn (6th)

One of those wasted picks ended up playing for us too. (Weeden)

You'd be hard pressed to find a team that in that same time span, invested more draft capital in the QB position. The issue is they draft the WRONG people, not the lack of trying or "when" they were picked. And the decision to move down and not take Carson Wentz was epic level stupidity.

5. Appreciation Doomsday appreciated this post
  6. Back To Top    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    They had two picks in the first round, all three years? Used the 2nd 1st round pick to take quarterbacks?
    Yep, they did indeed.

They drafted Justin Gilbert at 8 in 2014, Trent Richardson at 3 in 2012 and Joe Thomas 3rd in 2007

7. Appreciation Doomsday appreciated this post
  8. Back To Top    #20
    No I don't see a QB as the first pick.
    They need MLB,LB,S,OL and a 3rd QB
    I imagine they could go WR, but at this moment in time
    I leaning on OG/MLB/DT-DE...
    YOU HAVE MADE ME VERY ANGRY...VERY ANGRY INDEED!

9. Back To Top    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewatcher View Post
    No I don't see a QB as the first pick.
    They need MLB,LB,S,OL and a 3rd QB
    I imagine they could go WR, but at this moment in time
    I leaning on OG/MLB/DT-DE...
    By the bolded I take it you mean Jerry will resist the temptation, if Mayfield is still there when we make our pick.

You're right about our needs and we're all too painfully aware of them. The question is, will Jerry disregard that and go for the big splash.

10. Props Gamewatcher gave props for this post
  11. Back To Top    #22
    They said they made the move up for Wentz because they didn't like the crop of college QBs coming after him. Two years later, five of them might be drafted in the first round.

12. Appreciation Doomsday appreciated this post
  13. Back To Top    #23
    Would we dare take him with our 1st pick? No.

Would we call up every team that needs a franchise QB and try to get a king's ransom for that pick?

I hope so.

14. Back To Top    #24
    taking mayfield does 3 things:

challenges & pressures dak immediately just by picking qb in the 1st 3 rounds. maybe dak becomes dak again

builds your assets. it doesnt even matter if they suck. look at the qb being traded and signed every yr

get to see if mayfield is the real deal, which would ultimately be the best case scenario. you can trade dak for a huge haul.

therefore

i dont see how you do not take mayfield if he drops that far

15. Appreciation Doomsday appreciated this post
  16. Back To Top    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by icup View Post

challenges & pressures dak immediately just by picking qb in the 1st 3 rounds. maybe dak becomes dak again

builds your assets. it doesnt even matter if they suck. look at the qb being traded and signed every yr

get to see if mayfield is the real deal, which would ultimately be the best case scenario. you can trade dak for a huge haul.

therefore

Exactly my thinking. If he is there at 19 or whenever it is we make our first pick, you gotta pull that trigger.

17. Appreciation theoneandonly, icup appreciated this post
  18. Back To Top    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by icup View Post

therefore

You only do that if you don't believe Prescott is the answer.

Otherwise in the salary cap era and when you have a team with obvious holes that need filled to close the gap on the best team in your division, you don't throw away your only 1st rd pick on a QB when you have a very capable one, especially for one that is not an obvious upgrade.

Lastly, if you can trade Dak "for a huge haul" that tells you that you had a pretty damn good player at QB to begin with, and makes drafting another QB at 19 look even dumber IMO.

19. Back To Top    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by dbair1967 View Post

Otherwise in the salary cap era and when you have a team with obvious holes that need filled to close the gap on the best team in your division, you don't throw away your only 1st rd pick on a QB when you have a very capable one, especially for one that is not an obvious upgrade.

Lastly, if you can trade Dak "for a huge haul" that tells you that you had a pretty damn good player at QB to begin with, and makes drafting another QB at 19 look even dumber IMO.
    I thought that was a typo, I assumed he meant trading Mayfield, who would have high value as a #1 pick.

If Dak beats him out for the starting job no damage is done to Mayfield's value in the quarterback-poor NFL.

I'd have no gripes at all taking Mayfield.

20. Appreciation theoneandonly appreciated this post
  21. Back To Top    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by dbair1967 View Post

maybe i overshot the "huge" part of the haul but at least dallas might actually "win" the trade

regardless of the qb performance outcome after the season, qb holds value and has a higher floor than every other position

and i like dak better when hes worried about job security. i do not like dak sellinng me soda and car insurance

but ya its all a pipe dream because no way linehan lets this team draft a qb now.

when actually the GM should just GM and tell linehan to shut the fuck up and take mayfield anyway

22. Back To Top    #29
    I'm of the opinion that Mayfield is going to bust, so I don't want him at all.

I'm not opposed to us addressing QB later in the draft, but when you have a QB who's just entering his 3rd yr and played exceptionally well for the first 25 games of his career, it seems like a bad use of draft capital to draft another QB in the 1st rd this soon.

That said, if THEY believe Prescott has issues that cant be fixed or something else is going on behind the scenes we are not aware of, then picking a QB early (if they believe the guy is legit) is warranted.

Members who have read this thread: 17