bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
image1%20(7).JPG

5 things we learned from Cowboys coach Jason Garrett at the NFL owners meetings

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.
chill@star-telegram.com
Updated March 27, 2018 06:48 PM

Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett met with the media Tuesday morning during the annual coaches breakfast at the NFL owners meetings.

Garrett spoke for about an hour on a number of topics, including Dez Bryant's status.

Here are the five things we learned from Garrett:

1. Garrett said he hasn’t had much contact with Dez Bryant since the end of the season but is looking forward to his return for the start of the off-season program in April. Bryant could be asked to take a pay cut or be waived.

“Yeah, again, Dez has been an outstanding player for us for a long time, a big-time player. We’re not in a situation right now where we’re around our players. The off-season program will start in the middle of April. We anticipate Dez and everybody else being there and getting going. Any speculation about his contract or anything like that really doesn’t apply to the football part of Dez Bryant. He’s been a great player, and we anticipate having great competition at the receiver position and Dez being a part of it.”

2. Garrett said the additions of receivers Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson in free agency have no impact on Bryant’s situation and were not made because of Terrance Williams’ fractured foot.

“I think both with Allen and with Deonte, you’re just trying to continue to create competition at a position that’ll bring out the best in everybody,” Garrett said. “We love Dez Bryant. Dez has been a great player for us for a long time. Any speculation about his contract or anything like that to me is irrelevant relative to the recent signings that we’ve made. We’re excited about bringing these guys in and seeing what they can do to help us offensively. … I think we’re going to have the same number of receivers on our team and the same number of plays in the game.”

Garrett added that Williams hurt himself working out.

3. Garrett is leaving the meetings and heading to Alabama’s second pro day Wednesday. He said several coaches and scouts will join him as the Cowboys take a contingent to Alabama similar to what they did at Ohio State. Why go to Alabama again? The same reason people rob banks — because that is where the money is. Garrett said Alabama has 18 players expected to be picked in the 2018 NFL Draft, set for April 26-28 at AT&T Stadium.

“We had some guys at the initial pro day. We have had some guys working them out. But it makes sense for us to go down there. A couple of guys were hurt [and didn’t work out the first time]. And as much as anything else, the guys that worked out the first time, they just give us some access to them. Not unlike a couple of years ago when we went to Ohio State. These schools that have all these guys at a couple of different positions, it makes sense.”

Among the first-round prospects at Alabama who make sense for the Cowboys to scout for the 19th pick are receiver Calvin Ridley, cornerback/safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, linebacker Rashaan Evans and defensive tackle Da'Ron Payne.

4. Garrett said the goal with the offensive line is to get the best five guys on the field, so moving La’el Collins back inside to guard, following the signing of tackle Cameron Fleming in free agency, is a possibility. Nothing will be decided until they get back to work in April. But Fleming is more of a tackle than a guard and a player the Cowboys always liked even before he spent the last four years with the New England Patriots.

"We liked him coming out of school, and they drafted him in the fourth round. He was a rotational tackle for them," Garrett said. "He was a backup swing guy didn't play that much, played a little bit of guard. But then the last half of this year, he played a lot of snaps, and when you put the tape on, we thought he played very well. He blocked well in the passing game, good run blocker, plays the right way, has a physicalness to him. He's a smart guy, and you've seen him play on the right side. You've seen him play on the left side. We just felt like he did a good job taking advantage of his opportunities, and again, you want to bring a guy like that in, create some comp and see where it goes."

5. Garrett said he has heard nothing about tight end Jason Witten being courted by FOX Sports to retire and become an NFL analyst. He said Witten has been 100 percent committed to playing football with the Cowboys in 2018 in all the conversations he has had with him.

”Yeah, he’s going to play football for us, from my perspective,” Garrett said. “That’s every conversation I’ve had with him. He’s got such a great hunger for this game, and he wants to, I know for a fact, he wants to play for as long as he can. As long as he feels like he’s playing at a high level, he’ll continue to play. He’s got a great passion and love for the game.”

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Blah blah blah we didn't learn shit. We already knew what a moronic idiot shitbag Garrett is. Writers still kissing his ass with fluff pieces like this though.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
today i saw that beasley is mad about deion sanders saying "why doesnt beasley or witten asked to take pay cuts?"

and beasley saidhe was underpaid and that 3 wr's are getting paid more than him on the team

beasley asked if its about race
&
basically going on a rant telling deion to go fuck himself

go team

deion is stupid for other reasons

also to stay firmly on topic - good night and fuck you dallas cowboys head coach jason garrett

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
and beasley saidhe was underpaid and that 3 wr's are getting paid more than him on the team
Epitomizes this team. Beasley had a shitty year and he is worried about what other guys are making. There was some talk of him playing elsewhere next year and stupid shit like this makes me think it could happen. It isnt like Switzer couldnt do what he did last year for a fraction of the price. Then come February we can all rue together when he is catching passes from Brady.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Deion can be a dumbass sometimes. Dez has a 16 million dollar cap hit and hasn't shown up since 2014. That's why they're not asking Beasley or Witten.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Deion is a raving racist. Fuck him. This isn't the first time he's started up with these antics. And he's the reason I don't watch NFL Network.

408Cowboy

Spectator
Reaction score
Assuming anybody could learn anything from that shriveled up twat insults my intelligence. The fuckery needs to stop.

OmerV

Spectator
Reaction score
Blah blah blah we didn't learn shit. We already knew what a moronic idiot shitbag Garrett is. Writers still kissing his ass with fluff pieces like this though.

What is it you expect to learn? Deep, inside draft secrets? Dirt on players and coaches? You expect Garrett to bare his soul? Is that what you think you get with every other coach and team in the NFL, and do you think the Cowboys are the only team fluff pieces are written about?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What is it you expect to learn? Deep, inside draft secrets? Dirt on players and coaches? You expect Garrett to bare his soul? Is that what you think you get with every other coach and team in the NFL, and do you think the Cowboys are the only team fluff pieces are written about?

You'll do well here, I can tell.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I can already see I'm going to have to add one H to the beginning of your username.

OmerV

Spectator
Reaction score
You'll do well here, I can tell.

Thanks - assuming that was a serious comment and not sarcasm. Hard to know sometimes in print and with posters I'm not yet familiar with.

I'm as frustrated with the team as others, but it also frustrates me to see fans just blatantly make up complaints. A mundane media story is not a reason for a complaint, and does not say anything bad about Garrett. It's just a mundane media story like many, many others associated with the Cowboys and every other NFL team.

OmerV

Spectator
Reaction score
I can already see I'm going to have to add one H to the beginning of your username.

And I can already see you are one of those irrational people that only sees extremes rather than what is reasonable ... who thinks the only options are to be a blind homer to go with every complaint under the sun about Garrett and the team no matter how ridiculous or convoluted.

Now the reality .... fluff pieces like this are written all the time and regarding every team, and it isn't somehow a condemnation of the Cowboys or Garrett because this one happened to be about the Cowboys. It's mindless for fan to think it is different with other teams and coaches, or to expect they should learn some golden piece of information or insight with every media story - as if that's how it works with every other team and coach. It's just media filling space until they find something more notable to write about. There is nothing more devious or telling about it than that.

The other reality is, there is a very simple and basic reason for wanting Garrett to be replaced - he hasn't performed. I don't understand the need for fans to fantasize some silly personal reason to dislike him, or to twist something ordinary into a convoluted complaint. The fact that he hasn't performed is all anyone needs to point to. There is nothing personal to it, and there is no need to fabricate anything else.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And I can already see you are one of those irrational people that only sees extremes rather than what is reasonable ... who thinks the only options are to be a blind homer to go with every complaint under the sun about Garrett and the team no matter how ridiculous or convoluted.
You're completely incorrect. You need to educate yourself by reading around, a lot.
fluff pieces like this are written all the time and regarding every team
No shit, no one said otherwise. BUT, the Dallas sports media USED to be a pretty hard bunch, and wouldn't even think about promo pieces like this in the middle of 20 years of mediocre crap. They USED to be objective, USED to be watchdogs, now they're much like you. Just lapdogs who kiss Jerry's ass.
The other reality is, there is a very simple and basic reason for wanting Garrett to be replaced - he hasn't performed.
Read around, ignorant dickhead - we even have a thread dedicated to the many failures and embarrassments of this fuck.

OmerV

Spectator
Reaction score
You're completely incorrect. You need to educate yourself by reading around, a lot.
No shit, no one said otherwise. BUT, the Dallas sports media USED to be a pretty hard bunch, and wouldn't even think about promo pieces like this in the middle of 20 years of mediocre crap. They USED to be objective, USED to be watchdogs, now they're much like you. Just lapdogs who kiss Jerry's ass.Read around, ignorant dickhead - we even have a thread dedicated to the many failures and embarrassments of this fuck.

lol - it appears you are one of those funny little internet tough guys.

I'm judging on what you say and how you act - you apparently think you should be judged by some other standard and that you declaring that I'm wrong somehow carries some weight.

As for being wrong, I flat out said Garrett should be let go, but despite that you still are going with the mindless idea that I'm supporting him. Talk about a blind viewpoint ...

Apparently you are incapable of understanding because you are consumed with the idiotic idea that unless a person is willing to make up or go along with every idiotic complaint somebody fabricates out of fantasy land, then that person has to agree with everything Dallas does.

Reasonable people logically look at things, and, they don't need to make up some kind of idiotic personal grudge in their minds to come to the conclusion Garrett should be fired.

Top Bottom