dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And for the record, while I would love Earl Thomas and think he would be a helluva addition, I don't think he is worth trading our 1st rd pick for. I'm not even sure I'd trade our 2nd for him. I'd be more than happy to send them a 3rd and something else (maybe Byron Jones, or a mid rd pick next yr) but considering he wants a mega contract extension, giving up either of our first two picks seems steep to me.

Suh also wants a massive payday (apparently) and he is on the wrong side of 30. If we are keeping David Irving (and it appears we will be, his agent tweeted he is looking forward to testing free agency next yr) then getting Suh isn't overl critical IMO. In fact I'd probably rather see them go get Bennie Logan or Dontari Poe for more reasonable deals.

I don't get the obsession with Tyrann Mathieu, the fucking honey badger. Dude has had one really good year (out of 5) and has had multiple knee injuries. He has 11 career picks, half of them came in one season.

Was glad to hear we went after Sammy Watkins, but I never dreamed he'd get that kind of deal (like he got from KC) so ultimately it's probably a good thing we didn't get him. Allen Robionson (also coming off major injury) got a ridiculous deal too.

There was also a rumor we were pursuing Detroit LB Tahir Whitehead, probably a similar type player to Hitchens in that he could play MLB or OLB and play both at a decent level. He is a bigger player than Hitchens though and probably a little more physical against the run. Wouldn't be a bad signing if the price is reasonable.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Why restricted free agent David Irving expects to be back with the Cowboys in 2018 | SportsDay

The Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday placed a second-round tender on restricted free agent defensive lineman David Irving. Any team competing for Irving's services would have to give up a second-round pick for the three-year veteran in this year's April draft. The Cowboys also have the right to match any other team's offer.

But because the Cowboys chose the second-round tender ($2.9 million) over a first-round tender ($4.1 million), some fans are predicting Irving won't be playing for the Cowboys in 2018. And since Irving had seven sacks, 19 quarterback pressures and six deflected passes in just eight games last season, one could reason a team rich in picks and salary cap room could be tempted to snag Irving and give up the draft pick.

And perhaps a couple teams will indeed try.

But there are several other factors in play, pointed out by Irving's Dallas-based agent Louis Bing, that suggest it's likely Irving will be back for his fourth season in Dallas.

While Irving and his agent would of course listen to overtures made by other teams between now and the April 20 deadline to execute an offer sheet, the offer would need to be substantial. Why? If Irving puts together another solid or great season, he will be able to demand a major deal next offseason as an unrestricted free agent.

"It would have to make sense for him not to play out this year and get to free agency," Bing said.

If some theorize the Cowboys could be dangling Irving, hoping to gain an additional second-round pick, they also have to consider that Irving has to agree to the deal. If that materializes, both Irving and the Cowboys will be nicely compensated.

Bing said he and the Cowboys have been in communication since the end of the season and are on the same page.

It makes sense for the Cowboys to place a second-round tender instead of a first-round tender on Irving if they believe it will get the same job done for less. NFL franchises value their draft picks, and it's very rare to see a second-round pick given up for a restricted free agent.

How confident is Irving that he will be back with the Cowboys? Bing said the 6-7 mismatch has already signed a one-year lease on a new residence. He's outfitting the garage with a gym and sauna, part of preparing for the upcoming season. Irving is expected to take part in voluntary workouts starting here next week.

Irving is particularly motivated because of how last season ended, Bing said. After missing the first four games to a suspension for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy, he missed the last four because of lingering concussion symptoms. He made his presence felt in between.

But Irving still has some things to prove. His commitment to football has been questioned at times because of colorful off-field interests that include acting and nipple rings. He was an undrafted free agent in part because he got kicked off Iowa State's football team before his senior season. The suspension to start 2017 hurt. Then came the injury just when he was really getting going.

The Cowboys have said they want to see a full year of consistent production from Irving before they offer him a long-term deal.

Irving, Bing said, is also motivated to show what he can do in a full 2018 season -- likely for the Cowboys.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Fisher and Mickey compete for time under the desks of Jerry and Stevie so maybe he heard something.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i can tolerate fisher more than i can tolerate mickey mouse spags

at least mike #exclusiveexclusive fisher is shamelessly after your wallet

spags is a dink because he is a dink

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Fisher and Mickey compete for time under the desks of Jerry and Stevie so maybe he heard something.

We couldn’t afford to sign him with how little cap space we have left

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I guess they're waiting for teams to start cutting some players, so they can sign them without it affecting next year's comp pick haul.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We gotta wait till all the desirable players come off the board before we even make our first move

That’s our M.O. and how we do it at “The Star”

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Keith Smith signed with the Oakland Raiders
Maybe the Raiders cut Jamize Olawale because of this. Liked him during his brief spell in Dallas a few years ago and would definitely kick the tires again. Good special teams player too.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We've lurched from one extreme to another. From wildcatter Jerry, throwing money around and making ridiculous trades, to spendthrift Stephen, who must have the shortest arms and the longest pockets in the NFL.

Top Bottom