dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You are forgetting Thomas is looking to get a huge pay day I think next year. That takes away much Seattle leverage. OTOH Jones is in the last year of his rookie deal, and yeah I think he is a JAG but maybe that appeals to Seattle.

Thomas has also publicly said he wants to come to Dallas. He can really hurt Seattle's ability to trade him elsewhere if he refuses contract discussions with anyone else. Nobody (including us) is going to trade for him without having a contract extension worked out at the time of the deal. This also limits Seattle's ability to get a premium in return for him.

I'd wait them out. Trade him for what makes sense for us or don't trade for him at all.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
thomas has already cleaned up some of the mess he made in seattle. he stated he prefers to stay in seattle. he loves it there. wants to spend the rest of his career there, etc.

the thing i have not seen from thomas or seattle is the player-to-player relationship status. he had a little twitter beef w/ teammate bobby wagner during the season.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
thomas has already cleaned up some of the mess he made in seattle. he stated he prefers to stay in seattle. he loves it there. wants to spend the rest of his career there, etc.

the thing i have not seen from thomas or seattle is the player-to-player relationship status. he had a little twitter beef w/ teammate bobby wagner during the season.

I dont believe that, sounds like damage control. There was all kinds of talk the locker room was fractured up there and Wagner was the guy he didnt get along with, Wagner is still there.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You are forgetting Thomas is looking to get a huge pay day I think next year. That takes away much Seattle leverage. OTOH Jones is in the last year of his rookie deal, and yeah I think he is a JAG but maybe that appeals to Seattle.

No doubt this is the year to move Thomas if they're going to move him. But i'd think they'd look elsewhere first before downgrading to Jones. The one thing I don't know is how bad he wants to come to Dallas.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You cannot release him before June 1 and restructuring him won't give you the cap relief you need. Plus you're just kicking the can again if you do that.

Dez is and always was a social justice project of Jerry's. We can no longer justify keeping it up. Cut him June 2nd and give him freedom to bilk another team.

Really hoping we trade him during the draft, otherwise I think you are right. Post June 1st cut.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer
The one-year deal signed by Kony Ealy with the Cowboys can be worth up to $2 million. He received a $200,000 signing bonus and $800,000 base salary and has up to $250,000 available in 46-man roster bonuses. For him to earn the max amount, he will have to record at least 12 sacks and play in 75 percent of the snaps in 2018.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Really hoping we trade him during the draft, otherwise I think you are right. Post June 1st cut.

He's an 8M dead cap hit pre June, what I want to know is why wait for June 2nd? I realize they'll be a 4M dead cap post June 1st, but they currently don't need the extra 4M.

Right now he is 8M dead cap this year and 4M dead cap next year. Cut him June 2nd and all we're doing is reversing that. 4M this year and 8M next. Why do that if we don't need to? If he's a pre June cut the 8.5M savings in cap is more than enough to cover everyone including Ealy. I just don't think it wise to add 4M to the cap next season for no reason at all.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Byron Jones just officially announced that he is moving back to corner

Interesting that they wait until they magically clear a bunch of cap space. Might we be signing some high paid safety now?

Hmmmm

Or are we trading to move up and take Derwin James?

Hmmmm

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Byron Jones just officially announced that he is moving back to corner

Interesting that they wait until they magically clear a bunch of cap space. Might we be signing some high paid safety now?

Hmmmm

Or are we trading to move up and take Derwin James?

Hmmmm

If we trade up it better be to get LB Edmunds. Forget James. If we want a proven safety just trade for Earl Thomas.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If we trade up it better be to get LB Edmunds. Forget James. If we want a proven safety just trade for Earl Thomas.

Everything I read says the sweet spot in the draft is 22-52, making a trade up idiotic, so of course that is exactly what will happen. The correct move is trade back to 23 with NE and pick up and extra 2nd.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Everything I read says the sweet spot in the draft is 22-52, making a trade up idiotic, so of course that is exactly what will happen. The correct move is trade back to 23 with NE and pick up and extra 2nd.

New England isn't giving us a 2nd to move back from 19 to 23

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys expected to pick up Byron Jones’ 2019 option
Posted by Josh Alper on April 22, 2018, 8:48 AM EDT

The Cowboys are changing Byron Jones‘ position this year and it looks like they hope to have him at cornerback for at least the next two seasons.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Cowboys are expected to exercise their option on Jones’ contract for the 2019 season. Teams must decide on the fifth-year options for 2015 first-round picks by May 3 and the options are guaranteed for injury only.

Jones was the 27th overall pick of the 2015 draft and played cornerback and safety as a rookie before moving to the latter position on a full-time basis. He started every game the last two seasons and picked up 130 tackles, two interceptions and two forced fumbles.

Now he’ll try to thrive at cornerback and make his case for a longer contract in the next couple of years.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sooooo, the Cowboys have no one better than Byron to play at corner? Should be an interesting year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sooooo, the Cowboys have no one better than Byron to play at corner? Should be an interesting year.

He'll get a chance to compete for a starting job. Seems like Richards likes him at CB and he has always had an affinity for bigger CB's.

If he did win the starting CB job we'd potentially have two big CB's that can run (Jones and Awuzie) plus a really high upside slot CB in Lewis, and a young 4th CB with starting experience in Brown.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Cut bait and admit you made a mistake? Nah, welcome back for one more year at full salary. That's the Jerry way.

Top Bottom