and we released WR Brian Brown

Who and who?

Whatever.....

Big moves by our Front Office!

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We just signed Kony Ealy

I don't know how we're picking up anyone at this point. The Cowboys are 5.2M over the cap with projected draft picks without Ealy. I don't see how they get under the cap without trading, releasing, or restructuring a certain someone's contract. Hint, he's a WR.

OmerV

Spectator
Reaction score
We just signed kicker Brett Maher who is a 28 yo kicker from the CFL

Who and who?

Whatever.....

Why do fans always make something out of bottom of the roster moves or signing camp bodies as if they are supposed to be significant?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why do fans always make something out of bottom of the roster moves or signing camp bodies as if they are supposed to be significant?

because its not and its april and the draft cannoet come fast enough

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

Maybe just maybe 23 years of sorriness will do that to fans. They want to see something of significance happen. Its a worthy criticism all things considered.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
What is Kony Ealy's contract? It's still not listed. I'm waiting to see the dance they do in order to get under the cap by the start of the season.

The Cowboys should just say fuck it and release Dez on June 2nd like Doomsday said and get extra cap space for this year. Then draft a WR first round and it allows room to trade for Earl Thomas. Would anybody be upset with that move?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Cowboys should just say fuck it and release Dez on June 2nd like Doomsday said and get extra cap space for this year.
I just don't see any other way they pay to sign their draft picks.
Then draft a WR first round and it allows room to trade for Earl Thomas. Would anybody be upset with that move?
I can live without Thomas, especially since rookies are so much younger and cheaper.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I just don't see any other way they pay to sign their draft picks.

Easy. restructure his contract and pay him league minimum and the rest in the form of bonus money prorated over 3-4 years. Insane, I know.

I can live without Thomas, especially since rookies are so much younger and cheaper.

We all can live without him, but he's still solid. We know what we're getting. Unless you think we can get a better LB in the 2nd round. Either way, I think it's still better than keeping Dez. I was just pointing out one good reason to use your June 2nd scenario. Otherwise just release him before June 2nd if we're not taking advantage of the cap space.

I'm not a Dez hater. I just saw that we didn't need him in 2016 to succeed and probably don't need him in 2018.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Easy. restructure his contract and pay him league minimum and the rest in the form of bonus money prorated over 3-4 years. Insane, I know.

We all can live without him, but he's still solid. We know what we're getting. Unless you think we can get a better LB in the 2nd round. Either way, I think it's still better than keeping Dez. I was just pointing out one good reason to use your June 2nd scenario. Otherwise just release him before June 2nd if we're not taking advantage of the cap space.

I'm not a Dez hater. I just saw that we didn't need him in 2016 to succeed and probably don't need him in 2018.

You cannot release him before June 1 and restructuring him won't give you the cap relief you need. Plus you're just kicking the can again if you do that.

Dez is and always was a social justice project of Jerry's. We can no longer justify keeping it up. Cut him June 2nd and give him freedom to bilk another team.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You cannot release him before June 1 and restructuring him won't give you the cap relief you need. Plus you're just kicking the can again if you do that.

Dez is and always was a social justice project of Jerry's. We can no longer justify keeping it up. Cut him June 2nd and give him freedom to bilk another team.

I agree with you. But I don't have control over what Jerry does. I'm just telling you what he could do. A restructured 3 year contract with a base salary of 500k and a 15M signing bonus prorated would only have a 5.5M cap hit and be enough to get us under the cap. It's simple math. But I agree with you on how much of a bad idea that would be.

Cutting him June 2nd is kicking the can to next year. If we do that it has to be because we need that extra 4M. At the moment we don't. It makes no sense to cut him June 2nd and toss that extra dead money to next year unless we need it now. If the Cowboys aren't looking to anyone else except draft picks, cutting him before June 2nd is all they need to do. It opens up 8M. But I think Jerry will choose option #1, a restructure.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We just signed kicker Brett Maher who is a 28 yo kicker from the CFL

Who and who?

Whatever.....

Maher is a camp leg to take some of the daily duties off Bailey and Jones.

Won't be surprised if a rookie kicker is added and Maher is gone after the draft. Could see them taking a flier on someone as an UDFA.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What is Kony Ealy's contract? It's still not listed. I'm waiting to see the dance they do in order to get under the cap by the start of the season.

He signed a 1yr deal, so it's almost assuredly a vet minimum plus some incentives type deal.

The Cowboys should just say fuck it and release Dez on June 2nd like Doomsday said and get extra cap space for this year. Then draft a WR first round and it allows room to trade for Earl Thomas. Would anybody be upset with that move?

I'd be all for trading for Earl Thomas depending on what it costs. If it costs a 1st or 2nd this year I wouldn't do it though. He's 29 and wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. Great player and he would definitely be a huge addition to the secondary in terms of talent and leadership, but I wouldn't give up premium picks to get him.

To me a 3rd this yr and maybe another 3rd or something next year makes sense. Or maybe a 3rd or 4th this yr plus Byron Jones.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd be all for trading for Earl Thomas depending on what it costs. If it costs a 1st or 2nd this year I wouldn't do it though. He's 29 and wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. Great player and he would definitely be a huge addition to the secondary in terms of talent and leadership, but I wouldn't give up premium picks to get him.

To me a 3rd this yr and maybe another 3rd or something next year makes sense. Or maybe a 3rd or 4th this yr plus Byron Jones.

Oh I agree. A 1st is out of the question. But keep in mind they'll want something reasonable in return. I think we'd have to change it up to a 3rd and 2nd along with Byron. Remember, Byron is expendable at that point. Try to look at it from Seattle's POV. Would you take two 3rd's and Byron? I wouldn't. We can start there, but don't expect much.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh I agree. A 1st is out of the question. But keep in mind they'll want something reasonable in return. I think we'd have to change it up to a 3rd and 2nd along with Byron. Remember, Byron is expendable at that point. Try to look at it from Seattle's POV. Would you take two 3rd's and Byron? I wouldn't. We can start there, but don't expect much.

You are forgetting Thomas is looking to get a huge pay day I think next year. That takes away much Seattle leverage. OTOH Jones is in the last year of his rookie deal, and yeah I think he is a JAG but maybe that appeals to Seattle.

Top Bottom