Cowboys and free agency - Page 5
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboys and free agency

1. Back To Top    #61
    Cowboys' priorities: Zack Martin's extension, speed receiver
    Todd Archer
    ESPN Staff Writer

Here are the moves the Dallas Cowboys should consider when free agency opens at 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

Get ahead of the 2019 market: Since the Cowboys took care of their top priority last week by putting the franchise tag on defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, they have to sign Pro Bowl right guard Zack Martin to an extension. Martin is set to play this season on the fifth-year option, but that doesn’t mean the Cowboys should wait to get a deal done. The price will only go up next year for Martin, who has made the Pro Bowl in each of his first four seasons. He should be the highest-paid guard in the NFL, which would also make him the highest-paid offensive linemen on the Cowboys' roster. Without a new deal for Lawrence by mid-July, the Cowboys could find themselves losing Martin or Lawrence to free agency in 2019.

Find some speed on offense: If the Cowboys don’t get Dez Bryant to take a pay cut and release him, they should look at Sammy Watkins. Traded from the Buffalo Bills to the Los Angeles Rams prior to last season, he finished with 39 catches for 593 yards and eight touchdowns. As a former fourth overall pick, he might be something of a disappointment, but his best season came with new Cowboys receivers coach Sanjay Lal in Buffalo. He caught 60 passes for 1,047 yards and nine touchdowns in 13 games. If the Cowboys part ways with Bryant, they will need to find a replacement and add a player in the draft. It might come down to cost, but Watkins could find all that he needs with the Cowboys.

Shore up the depth: Watkins could be well out of their price range, and the Cowboys have not shown a willingness to do big deals in free agency lately. They have taken a cost-effective approach to free agency, but that backfired when their signings either never made the roster or were gone by late October (Nolan Carroll, Damontre Moore, Stephen Paea and Robert Blanton). With Anthony Hitchens expected to get a large deal that they won’t be able to match, the Cowboys could use linebacker help. With Byron Jones moving to cornerback, safety is a top option. They need to find offensive line depth as well. The Cowboys have used free agency to fill gaps so they can enter the draft without any major needs. That has to remain a priority again, but they need to do more than just hunt for bargains.
    This needs to be the final season of Garrett & his staff. The greatest coaches on the planet should be candidates to lead the best org in sports. The days of teams blowing the Cowboys’ doors off in halftime adjustments needs to end. Time for change, new direction and a new voice
    — Ben Rogers (@BenRogers) November 20, 2017

2. Back To Top    #62

3. Back To Top    #63
    Quote Originally Posted by dbair1967 View Post
    I know everyone gets all pissy over our FO for basically sitting out free agency, but when an average to above average starter like Hitchens gets this kind of $$$, it's hard to really question the Cowboys thinking on some of this. I liked Hitchens and thought he was underrated, but 9 mils per year? Really?

Ya i see their logic these contracts are unreal

4. Back To Top    #64
    I know everyone gets all pissy over our FO for basically sitting out free agency, but when an average to above average starter like Hitchens gets this kind of $$$, it's hard to really question the Cowboys thinking on some of this. I liked Hitchens and thought he was underrated, but 9 mils per year? Really?

Hitchens is a big weapon?

5. Appreciation dbair1967 appreciated this post
  6. Back To Top    #65
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoRedJ View Post
    Hitchens is a big weapon?
    I dont kno if “weapon” is the right word but he almost forced a fumble upside down once

7. Props NoMoRedJ gave props for this post
  8. Back To Top    #66
    Hitchens played well for a 4th round pick. I'll give him credit for that. But he was almost a clone of Brady James, at least to me, in that he was a decent player but one we should always look to upgrade. It just seemed we were content.

9. Props SixisBetter gave props for this post
  10. Back To Top    #67
    Does it really matter what they do or don't do?

I can't get excited or upset over any scenario

11. Props NoMoRedJ gave props for this post
  12. Back To Top    #68
    Only a front office as completely divorced from reality as this one would think a position coach would trump a mountain of cash.

13. Appreciation yimyammer appreciated this post
    lulz yimyammer lulz'd this
  14. Back To Top    #69
    There are Hitchens in the middle of every draft. Players that have warts but are useful enough that you want around as long as they work cheap. The problem is this FO isnt near good enough at finding them so we get idiotic tweets like he is some kind of weapon. Ten picks a this year if they make them all, and they will be lucky if four are on the team three years from now.

15. Back To Top    #70
    Quote Originally Posted by yimyammer View Post
    Does it really matter what they do or don't do?

I can't get excited or upset over any scenario
    As long as Garrett is HC, that would be a HELL NO!!!

16. Back To Top    #71
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    There are Hitchens in the middle of every draft. Players that have warts but are useful enough that you want around as long as they work cheap. The problem is this FO isnt near good enough at finding them so we get idiotic tweets like he is some kind of weapon. Ten picks a this year if they make them all, and they will be lucky if four are on the team three years from now.
    Well, we should hit on our first rounder.

17. Back To Top    #72
    Well, we should hit on our first rounder.
    Claiborne and Byron the workout warrior Jones say hi. Too early to tell with Taco.

18. Back To Top    #73
    As long as jeri and his spawn continue to play fantasy football with the Cowboys Garrett is HC, that would be a HELL NO!!!
    fyp

19. Back To Top    #74
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Claiborne and Byron the workout warrior Jones say hi. Too early to tell with Taco.
    So do T Fred, Martin and Zeke. Our recent success has been in the first round more times than not. But Im not holding my breath on Taco.

20. Back To Top    #75
    Quote Originally Posted by yimyammer View Post
    fyp
    That is the bigger problem, true. But Garrett is part of it.

21. Appreciation yimyammer appreciated this post

Members who have read this thread: 22