Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We couldn’t afford to sign him with how little cap space we have left
The Dallas Cowboys have restructured the contract of center Travis Frederick in order to free up close to $7.5 million in cap space for 2018, according to Jane Slater of the NFL Network.

Frederick was set to earn $10 million in base salary this season. The lowest base salary he can earn as a five-year veteran is $790,000, per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Dallas would clear the cap space by converting a significant portion of the base salary to signing bonus.

Frederick was scheduled to count $13,235,000 against the cap in 2018, per OverTheCap.com. If Dallas converted the maximum amount of base salary possible to signing bonus it would allow the team to save $7,368,000 against the cap for this season.

The additional cap space could be a precursor to an impending extension in Dallas. Defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence and guard Zach Martin are both in line for new deals. Martin is set to enter the final year of his rookie contract with the Cowboys while Lawrence is set to play 2018 on the franchise tag.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We need to get Martins deal done

Aren’t Dak AND Zeke both up next after next year?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Actually it makes since to keep Dez this year, hate to say. He's 8 mil dead money this year if we cut him, only 4 mil dead next year if we cut him - BUT we will save 12.5 mil on the cap if we cut him next year vs. only 8 mil this year.

Barring a restructure, that is. In which case we only add 5.8 mil to this year's cap.

Zeke is already big money, he counts 7.9 mil against the cap this next year alone.

Here's the rundown. You can choose different options to see all the cap implications.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Dak hits free agency after the 2019 season. Zeke could as well, however that is unlikely, since the team will most likely exercise his fifth-year option before the 2019 season.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
wonder if dallas will kick the tires on vinny curry

just got released by the eagles

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Free agents on NFL.com's Top-101 list that are still unsigned and caught my eye:

3 DT Ndamakong Suh
25 FS/SS Kenny Vaccaro
29 FS Morgan Burnett
37 OL Jack Mewhort
57 TE Eric Ebron
58 FS Tre Boston
68 DT Dominique Easley
85 DT Bennie Logan
98 RB Demarco Murray
99 LB Derrick Johnson

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like all but easley

Take it or leave it w murray

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Colts now have three 2nd rd picks, including back to back at 36/37

They also have a ton of cap room and so far haven't made any significant moves. We have a DT that Eberflus coached here that's qualified for a 2nd rd pick.

You do the math.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Free agents on NFL.com's Top-101 list that are still unsigned and caught my eye:

3 DT Ndamakong Suh
25 FS/SS Kenny Vaccaro
29 FS Morgan Burnett
37 OL Jack Mewhort
57 TE Eric Ebron
58 FS Tre Boston
68 DT Dominique Easley
85 DT Bennie Logan
98 RB Demarco Murray
99 LB Derrick Johnson

I know they've shown interest in Vaccaro and Logan before. If they could somehow get those two it might salvage this FA period. I get the feeling though, that the Cowboys FO has a big boner for accumulating compensatory draft picks and therefore may only sign players that have been cut.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Colts now have three 2nd rd picks, including back to back at 36/37

They also have a ton of cap room and so far haven't made any significant moves. We have a DT that Eberflus coached here that's qualified for a 2nd rd pick.

You do the math.

Last edited:

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
One of those 2nd round picks was just used to help trade up to 3rd overall pick.

Sorry. I got that completely the wrong way round. Like dbair was saying the Colts now have 3 2nd rounders because of that trade.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Big if, but lets say the Colts do sign Irving to an offer sheet now, they'd owe us the 37th pick overall in return.

We'd then have two 2nd rd picks. Perhaps you then could feel good about throwing that early 2nd and something else (maybe one of those 4ths, or a mid rd pick next yr) to Seattle for Earl Thomas.

N Suh is still a free agent, so is Bennie Logan. You could get one of those + Thomas, and still have your own 1st to look at OL, WR or LB.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So nobody wanted to trade for a 30+ injury prone DB who can't catch interceptions? I'm shocked.

Well that always works doesnt it? First Jerry says he is going to cut a player, then back peddles and says wait, no we are going to try and trade him. Works like a charm every time.

Top Bottom