dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The 1994 Niners - now there's a bought championship.

Yep, was thinking the same thing when responding to that guys first post.

They signed half the pro bowl defense that offseason it seemed, and had absolutely no cap whatsoever for it. League didn't punish the Niners for cap evasion until later in the 90s.

Deion signed the most bogus contract in history of the league, and to this day I believe he still wont comment on it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry firing Jimmy derailed the 3-peat. Had Jimmy still been our coach we would have handled that particular 49ers "dream team."

Possibly, although we had a slew of injuries that year too. There was the Big E crash, Aikman getting his thumb/hand taken out by our own player in practice (never looked the same that season after that either). Emmitt was never really right with the hamstrings. We had Larry Allen playing on two bad ankles in the NFC Champ game (as a rookie). Irvin played a lot of that season on a torn quad muscle. Novacek's back was starting to go.

The NFC Champ game was also horribly officiated, with the infamous Deion no call on Irvin (who had one of the best games a WR has ever had in the postseason that day). I think the final penalty count was something like 9 or 10 for us v 4 for them. We had 5 turnovers that day and a missed chipshot FG. Then that fucking slob punter John Jett did us in before halftime with a damn 20 yd punt, giving Niners a chance to get a cheap late TD before the half.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Deserves all sorts of kudos for that, awesome decision and changed the franchise.
If we give kudos for no-brainer choices. Jimmy was highly sought after, and not just by Tex Schramm for two years prior. So no, i don't give Jones any kudos or credit for the Jimmy hire.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If we give kudos for no-brainer choices. Jimmy was highly sought after, and not just by Tex Schramm for two years prior. So no, i don't give Jones any kudos or credit for the Jimmy hire.

He got him to say yes, nobody else did before that.

Only good coaching decision Jerry ever made.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He got him to say yes, nobody else did before that.
Timing is everything. He was fed up with The U of Miami's administration by that point and wanted out of his contract anyway.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Which is the underlying cause of being down 21-zip in a NFC title game.

I'm not gonna blame Switzer for Irvin not protecting the ball or the Aikman INT. Sometimes the other team makes plays.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm not gonna blame Switzer for Irvin not protecting the ball or the Aikman INT. Sometimes the other team makes plays.
Yeah I don't really "blame" anyone. Those types of things happened when Jimmy was coaching as well. I don't blame Switzer for being a ignorant cluck either, I blame the GM for hiring the fuck.

Had Jimmy and Jerry never parted ways, I still believe we win that game and the SB that year as well.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I don't really "blame" anyone. Those types of things happened when Jimmy was coaching as well. I don't blame Switzer for being a ignorant cluck either, I blame the GM for hiring the fuck.

Had Jimmy and Jerry never parted ways, I still believe we win that game and the SB that year as well.

I dunno. We lost some key guys in free agency while Frisco stocked the shelves. As brilliant as Jimmy was, you still need players.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I dunno. We lost some key guys in free agency while Frisco stocked the shelves. As brilliant as Jimmy was, you still need players.

Jimmy was a talent master. Can't help but think he would have reloaded much better. Or at least coached up the replacements better.

We can only speculate.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I’ll give Ole Jeruh credit for bringing in Jimmy

He was able to get it done. Tex wasn’t able to after two years

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It was blatantly obvious at the time that the NFL was looking the other way with the 49ers cheating the cap so long as it derailed the Cowboys 3-peat. It was when I first realized that the last thing the NFL wants is a dominant Cowboys.

I think '94 was the first year of the cap. But I'm not sure how strict they were with enforcement. Either way, all you needed to know about Jerry happened during the Emmitt Smith hold out. It's not like he would have tried to keep up. Then couple that with getting rid of Jimmy, that's all folks.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I’ll give Ole Jeruh credit for bringing in Jimmy

He was able to get it done. Tex wasn’t able to after two years

I answered this silliness already. It was a TIMING thing. Read Jimmy's book.

TIMING and the fact this was head coach, not DC with HC promised when Tex finally got Landry to soon retire. So there's that. Firing Tom was actually what brought Jimmy over.

Reaction score
I think '94 was the first year of the cap. But I'm not sure how strict they were with enforcement. Either way, all you needed to know about Jerry happened during the Emmitt Smith hold out. It's not like he would have tried to keep up. Then couple that with getting rid of Jimmy, that's all folks.

The SF dream team was indeed the first year of the salary cap. I recall reading an SF Chronicle article right before the draft that year that lamented the fact that the 49ers were in seriously bad shape with the cap, and would have to get creative to even sign draft picks. Thanks to a crooked NFL, they not only signed their draft picks, but around 10 pro bowlers too. It was the most crooked shit I have ever seen in the NFL including the stupid shit that has gone on under Goodell. This is why I don't give Tagliabue a pass, because he knew what was going on, and let it go anyway flat out refusing to investigate SF when other owners were calling for it.

BTW, Tagliabue investigated Dallas the following year because we signed Deion, despite that Dallas had lost so many players to FA by then that there was nobody calling for any investigation because it was obvious Dallas had plenty of cap space due to the defections.

Also, to get more of an idea of what I know about the corrupt Tagliabue, just look at the grimace on his face as he hands over the third Lombardi to Jerry. You can tell it was like he just ate Cheerios with piss instead of milk.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The SF dream team was indeed the first year of the salary cap. I recall reading an SF Chronicle article right before the draft that year that lamented the fact that the 49ers were in seriously bad shape with the cap, and would have to get creative to even sign draft picks. Thanks to a crooked NFL, they not only signed their draft picks, but around 10 pro bowlers too. It was the most crooked shit I have ever seen in the NFL including the stupid shit that has gone on under Goodell. This is why I don't give Tagliabue a pass, because he knew what was going on, and let it go anyway flat out refusing to investigate SF when other owners were calling for it.

That's how we ended up with Cory Fleming. SF rescinded the draft rights to him in 1994 due to cap space issues they supposedly had. Fleming was a 3rd rd pick, and at the time nobody had any clue why the Niners will just give up the right to a guy they picked that high.

A couple years later it was rumored that the league behind the scenes told the Niners they had to do it as punishment for cap evasion issues they knew about, but neither they nor the Niners ever admitted that. Then in the late 90's the Niners had to forfeit other draft picks as punishment for prior year cap evasion issues.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Speaking of wheeling and dealing:

Top Bottom