theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This staff seems pretty clueless.
So they are going to take a run and chase LB who hasnt shown ability to take on blocks, at least not in his current one foot state, and stick him on the strong side? Seems like a lot of trouble to justify the 34th pick in the draft. What could go wrong?

BigD

Spectator
Reaction score
Exactly. And they had to wait a full year before he ever saw the field. 5th-6th round? I get it. 2nd round? Reeeeeeach.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Exactly. And they had to wait a full year before he ever saw the field. 5th-6th round? I get it. 2nd round? Reeeeeeach.

Some famous message board poster once said, "a fish rots from the head down" but I don't remember who it was.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So they are going to take a run and chase LB who hasnt shown ability to take on blocks, at least not in his current one foot state, and stick him on the strong side? Seems like a lot of trouble to justify the 34th pick in the draft. What could go wrong?

I'll wait and reserve judgement till after we see how he looks in training camp/preseason, but obviously he was drafted with the intent to play an integral role as MLB and now apparently isn't going to be MLB, and instead moved to the strong OLB role.

A couple potential reasons:

1) One of his strengths is as a pass rusher, and in some forms of this defense (namely Seattle and Atlanta, Jacksonville when Gus Bradley was HC) the strong OLB is referred to as a "LEO" and is a standup type DE on some obvious pass downs. Moving him into this position could be something they have in mind.

2) Last year he appeared better when he was running in a straight line. I would think at MLB he would have to make a lot of direction changes on a down to down basis, but if you stick him at OLB he is either moving up or back depending on coverage/rush, or chasing to the opp sideline. Perhaps there are some advantages to that for him considering his knee.

The above said, many of us (incl me) melted down when we used that pick on Smith to begin with because of the risk involved.

Terrance mcclain

Spectator
Reaction score
Give us a Mike who isn't a gimp or a china doll, please. Draft a badass.

I think the cowboys will likely draft a mlb in the
Fifth round who won't even play until 2021 due too injury. They will also draft a strong safety who broke both his legs while losing a tickle fight to his girlfriend. It's the way the cowboys roll.

Last edited:

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
theyll just sign justin durant for the 20th time and see what happens

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

On the money. But hey, we draft well. Or so some folks here will tell you.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
godammit dodge you're like a crack dealer pushing your agenda in other parts of the dcu

dallas does just fine at drafting, its everything else that this team sucks at

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
On the money. But hey, we draft well. Or so some folks here will tell you.

Got it Dodger. if only the coaching genius of Jason Garrett wasn't handcuffed by bad drafting, he'd win super bowls every yr I bet!

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
godammit dodge you're like a crack dealer pushing your agenda in other parts of the dcu

dallas does just fine at drafting, its everything else that this team sucks at

Cup, I've got high hopes for you man. You're super bright and I'd bet you're a good dude and we'd get some laughs talking shit about dbair over a few beers. Please don't let him influence you. You and dbair as a team would be a label you'd never shake on the interwebs. I'm trying to help you......

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got it Dodger. if only the coaching genius of Jason Garrett wasn't handcuffed by bad drafting, he'd win super bowls every yr I bet!

I think Garrett's a bad coach and Jerry is a horrendous GM. This was a team that was gifted a franchise QB who carried both these scrubs to riches and hid their coaching and talent acquisition flaws. I don't live in a vacuum where in order for me to believe Garrett's a bad coach I have to believe he's got talented players. There's been one constant all these years of Browns level futility. And that's the Owner/GM.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Garrett's a bad coach and Jerry is a horrendous GM. This was a team that was gifted a franchise QB who carried both these scrubs to riches and hid their coaching and talent acquisition flaws. I don't live in a vacuum where in order for me to believe Garrett's a bad coach I have to believe he's got talented players. There's been one constant all these years of Browns level futility. And that's the Owner/GM.

Dude you are making yourself look more and more retarded with every post on this. Seriously man, just quit.

Garrett sux as a HC. Fucking lousy coaches don't win 12 or 13 games with fucking lousy talent.

Even a fucking tomato has enough sense to see this, but apparently you don't.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dude you are making yourself look more and more retarded with every post on this. Seriously man, just quit.

Garrett sux as a HC. Fucking lousy coaches don't win 12 or 13 games with fucking lousy talent.

Even a fucking tomato has enough sense to see this, but apparently you don't.

Yes, 3 winning season (including 9 and 7 last year) in 8 years is a sure sign of super talented teams. Hey, remember when we went a whole game and couldn't force a punt? #supertalented

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, 3 winning season (including 9 and 7 last year) in 8 years is a sure sign of super talented teams. Hey, remember when we went a whole game and couldn't force a punt? #supertalented

I remember superbad coaching

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dbair has had his share of misfires like we all have

But dodge simply consider the alternative to your argument

Dallas needed more than coaching and romo to win games in the garrett era or this team would be the browns or the dolphins. And its no secret this team has been searching for a defensive identity for years

We know the strength of this team is not coaching

We know the list of free agents who have come and gone, none of which have really brought much to thw table

I think just by process of elimination, the team won games because of the drafted talent

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dallas needed more than coaching and romo to win games in the garrett era or this team would be the browns or the dolphins. And its no secret this team has been searching for a defensive identity for years

Defensive coaches have come and gone. Yet the D remains pretty much the same. I'm no Marinelli fan boy. But I just can't claim the D is talented beyond a couple of players and some rookie DB's that played well last season.

I think just by process of elimination, the team won games because of the drafted talent

I'm not sure about this argument cup. They've had two double digit win seasons in 8 years.

In any event, we'll all just agree to disagree. IMO. we need a new coach and a different philosophy on draft day.

And I have no issue with dbair. I respect his opinion even though I disagree with it and we're all just keeping each other on our toes. I was off from work and stuck indoors because of a snow storm so I had time to post more than usual.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Defensive coaches have come and gone. Yet the D remains pretty much the same. I'm no Marinelli fan boy. But I just can't claim the D is talented beyond a couple of players and some rookie DB's that played well last season.

I'm not sure about this argument cup. They've had two double digit win seasons in 8 years.

In any event, we'll all just agree to disagree. IMO. we need a new coach and a different philosophy on draft day.

And I have no issue with dbair. I respect his opinion even though I disagree with it and we're all just keeping each other on our toes. I was off from work and stuck indoors because of a snow storm so I had time to post more than usual.

all good buddy

i was out plowing said snow storm

we ended up w/ only like 6" of total snowfall but wouldnt you know they were literally forcasting boston getting anywhere from 0-12" of snow. gee thanks for the dopplar accuweather forecast

fuckign weathermen and jason garrett... the 2 jobs where you can constantly be wrong and still have job security

Top Bottom