Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Roger Goodell to hit Cowboys owner Jerry Jones with multi-million-dollar fine, report says

Roger Goodell to hit Cowboys owner Jerry Jones with multimillion-dollar fine, report says | Fox News

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to fine Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones millions of dollars for conduct "detrimental to the league" in the wake of clashes over Goodell's contract extension and the suspension of star running back Ezekiel Elliott, The New York Times reported Monday.

The Times report cited five league officials with direct knowledge of the situation. When contacted by Fox News, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy declined comment.

According to the Times, Goodell was pressured to punish Jones by several of the league's owners, who believe the Cowboys boss crossed a line this past November when he threatened to sue the six members of the league's compensation committee over Goodell's contract. Jones reportedly believed Goodell was overpaid and should have received a more incentive-laden contract.

Jones later backed down on his threat to sue the committee. In December, it was reported that Goodell had signed a five-year contract extension that would keep him in office through the 2023 NFL season. The deal was reported to be worth $200 million in total.

Months before he threatened to sue the compensation committee, Jones broke with Goodell publicly over the six-game suspension of Elliott.

Elliott, who rushed for more than 1,600 yards as a rookie in 2016, was accused of domestic violence by a former girlfriend. In the run-up to the 2017 season, Jones repeatedly said that he did not believe Elliott deserved to be suspended.

Elliott appealed the suspension and was able to play in the first eight games of the 2017 season while the issue worked its way through the courts. However, a federal appeals court upheld the suspension on Nov. 9, forcing Elliott to miss the next six contests. He returned for the final two games of the season as the Cowboys finished 9-7 and failed to qualify for the playoffs.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Jerry, you've become the joke of the NFL. The other owners are bitch slapping you and your abortion left and right. Idiot.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
God I hate this man and what he's done to this team. And I don't mean Goodell. We're a complete disgrace....a joke for other owners to laugh at and bitch slap. Jerry should be putting the best team together with the best coaching staff and hope that Goodell will one day hand him the Lombardi. But Jones' comfort level is more important than winning. Money is the goal. You snake oil selling cocksucker.....

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
God I hate this man and what he's done to this team. And I don't mean Goodell. We're a complete disgrace....a joke for other owners to laugh at and bitch slap. Jerry should be putting the best team together with the best coaching staff and hope that Goodell will one day hand him the Lombardi. But Jones' comfort level is more important than winning. Money is the goal. You snake oil selling cocksucker.....

Even if the fine were something like 100 million that's just pocket change for Jerruh.

But, you liked three super bowls right?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If this is true, I doubt this is much of a surprise to Jones.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
According to league sources, the reported fine of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones by the commissioner's office is a reimbursement of legal fees in excess of $2 million. It's not so much "Goodell fines Jerry" as it is fellow NFL owners executing a rule that's been on the books for more than 20 years – that if an owner participates in bringing litigation against other owners, he must reimburse them for the legal fees. Jones and the Cowboys participated in the Ezekiel Elliott suit and also threatened litigation over Goodell contract. The action generated not from Goodell but from fellow owners and has been approved by the league's finance committee.

Dan Graziano, ESPN Staff Writer

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Jerry, you've become the joke of the NFL. The other owners are bitch slapping you and your abortion left and right. Idiot.

Look, I hate Jones (and especially GM Jones) as much as anyone, but he isn't an idiot for trying to defend his star player who was absolutely 100% screwed over by the league office and some garbage owners of rival teams. He also isn't an idiot for calling out what was obviously a bogus deal that certain owners agreed to give Goodell in exchange for fucking over Jones and Elliott.

Elliott shouldn't have been suspended. Goodell has done nothing but hurt the league over and over with stupid decisions and biased, corrupt rulings. Jones is a ****** about a lot of stuff, but calling a spade a spade in this entire Elliott nonsense is not something he goofed up on in some way, shape or form.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look, I hate Jones (and especially GM Jones) as much as anyone, but he isn't an idiot for trying to defend his star player who was absolutely 100% screwed over by the league office and some garbage owners of rival teams. He also isn't an idiot for calling out what was obviously a bogus deal that certain owners agreed to give Goodell in exchange for fucking over Jones and Elliott.

Elliott shouldn't have been suspended. Goodell has done nothing but hurt the league over and over with stupid decisions and biased, corrupt rulings. Jones is a ****** about a lot of stuff, but calling a spade a spade in this entire Elliott nonsense is not something he goofed up on in some way, shape or form.

It has nothing to do with anything you mentioned. He's an idiot because the Cowboys were, at one time, the flagship team of the league. This situation shows me how much the league looks down on Jerry. The league and the other owners have little respect for the egomaniac. His best NFL days are well behind him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with anything you mentioned. He's an idiot because the Cowboys were, at one time, the flagship team of the league. This situation shows me how much the league looks down on Jerry. The league and the other owners have little respect for the egomaniac. His best NFL days are well behind him.

But... DID YOU LIKE THREE SUPER BOWLS???

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even if the fine were something like 100 million that's just pocket change for Jerruh.

But, you liked three super bowls right?

It has nothing to do with the money, but rather how little influence Jerry has with the NFL. That's all eroded when football became secondary to the Jones clan. Our owner is getting bitch-slapped by Goodell, Mara, Kraft and company. They see Jerry for what he is. A salesman as opposed to a football guy. He's no threat to them from a football standpoint.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Goodell would instantly become my hero for life if he found a way to strip the franchise from the Jones family.

Reaction score
Goodell would instantly become my hero for life if he found a way to strip the franchise from the Jones family.

The way to do this is already out there. Goodell just needs to harness the SJW Internet Hate Machine to go after Jones for violations of the #MeToo witch hunt. The photos are all already online, and as Sterling and Schott know all to well that violations of the insane leftist agenda are enough to remove a person from owning a professional sports franchise.

Do I agree with this approach? Normally, no. I hate the left and its SJW Inquisition. But sometimes circumstances make for strange bedfellows. In a true Machiavellian sense, I want to harness the SJWs to do us all a favor, and remove Jerry Jones from the Dallas Cowboys.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's great seeing Jerry get his comeuppance. I'm sure he was buying the stories that he was the most powerful man in the league, even more than the commissioner, but now he's learning he's one of 32 and can't attack his fellow owners with impunity.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
https://deadspin.com/report-roger-goodells-going-to-stick-it-to-jerry-jones-1823336630

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones’s reported bitching and moaning about Roger Goodell’s actions over the last season has earned him a dose of NFL justice, which is regular justice that comes with an even more hollow feeling. Ken Belson of the New York Times reports the NFL commissioner will fine Jones “millions of dollars.”

Jones, who reportedly tried to hamstring Goodell’s contract extension and loudly complained about the six-game suspension to Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, could be fined for conduct detrimental to the NFL, according to Belson. Goodell’s punishment will happen “in the coming weeks.” There’s a little added fuck-you to it:

Jones will be ordered to pay the legal fees that the committee incurred defending itself, as well as the legal expenses the N.F.L. spent defending its decision to suspend Elliott.

Jones clearly has (or had) more clout than most of the NFL’s owners, which he used at times to his advantage. He was fine with other owners and their players being punished, but when Goodell dropped the hammer on Elliott, and a lengthy legal process upheld that punishment, he changed his tune. And when the commissioner’s extension came up, Jones objected strongly, and lawyered up so he’d be in a position to sue the six-owner compensation committee.

Even a fine that’s “millions of dollars”—sounds like it’ll be around $2 million, which is technically millions of dollars, but will be trumped up as much more—is a pittance to Jones, but will he appeal it on principle even though it has nothing to do with draft picks or games missed? Will he prefer the drawn-out legal battle? Will he rack his whiskey-soaked, deteriorating mind for any damning dirt on Goodell, the other NFL owners, or all parties involved so he can toss it into the light, to achieve mutual assured destruction? The answer here is, “Hopefully.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There is some b/s to that story above icup.

Jones' players have been getting punished for years, we've ranked at the top of the league for quite some time in games lost due to suspensions. Jones never threw a fit (at least publicly) about any of those.

he had every right to be pissed over this Zeke thing. It was 100% b/s by Goodell, Friel and a few corrupt POS owners.

408Cowboy

Spectator
Reaction score
If they include the legal fees the NFL spent on the Zeke case then Kraft needs to reimburse for Brady's case. I don't think he did.

Top Bottom