Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I forget where I heard it. But a few years ago some people were talking about Smith dropping the ball on purpose. I don't believe it either.
He's been interviewed multiple times, he maintained each time that Verne had it right with his radio call of the play, he is "the sickest man in America."

Play was just a fluke deal, Roger didn't throw his best ball (he's outright said it was a bad pass) and Jackie's injured shoulder came into play.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I see somebody made an executive decision and shall we say put the thread back on track. Probably not the worst move.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Play was just a fluke deal, Roger didn't throw his best ball (he's outright said it was a bad pass) and Jackie's injured shoulder came into play.

Hit him right in the hands, yes bad pass

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Hit him right in the hands, yes bad pass

Dude, really? Watch the play. Roger didn't put the ball where it was supposed to be, it was waaaaay behind Jackie and waaaaaaay low. Smith did good just to touch the fucking thing.

Roger himself told us this, but it's there on film for all to see.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dude, really? Watch the play. Roger didn't put the ball where it was supposed to be, it was waaaaay behind Jackie and waaaaaaay low. Smith did good just to touch the fucking thing.

Roger himself told us this, but it's there on film for all to see.

Look at it yourself then. Doesn't look like it is behind him to me. There's two views of it if you watch it all.

I also I stand corrected, doesn't look like it hit him in the hands, looks like it bounced off his chest.

[video=youtube;VbO2wlxYeWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbO2wlxYeWw[/video]

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Look at it yourself then. Doesn't look like it is behind him to me. There's two views of it if you watch it all.

I also I stand corrected, doesn't look like it hit him in the hands, looks like it bounced off his chest.

When they have to suddenly stop it's behind them. That's the opposite of leading them.

It was a horrid pass, looking even worse on video today than it ever did. Looked like a fucking Romo pass.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
When they have to suddenly stop it's behind them. That's the opposite of leading them.

It was a horrid pass, looking even worse on video today than it ever did. Looked like a fucking Romo pass.

Dude, you have issues

Chill35

Spectator
Reaction score
Jackie Smith losing the Super Bowl for us, hands down. And my next door neighboor friend was a Steelers fan and I had to hear about us losing again forever.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Jackie Smith losing the Super Bowl for us, hands down..
Smith didn't lose that game for us any more than Randy White did by fielding that poor kickoff and trying to return it with his hand and arm in a cast, or any more than our secondary did getting burned repeatedly. Blaming Smith is silly, the pass was terrible even by Staubach's admission.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Smith didn't lose that game for us any more than Randy White did by fielding that poor kickoff and trying to return it with his hand and arm in a cast, or any more than our secondary did getting burned repeatedly. Blaming Smith is silly, the pass was terrible even by Staubach's admission.

Dude just stop with that garbage. The damn thing hit him in the chest. I posted the clip with two different camera angles.

He dropped it, he fucking choked.

I do agree it didn't lose the game, but it certainly hurt us. Took 4 pts off the board, and we lost by 4 pts.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Gotta agree with Dooms. I have always thought two things about the Steelers of the 70's: 1) Blasphemous I know but I always thought they were the slightly better team in both those SB losses. Kind of like Affirmed was a slightly better horse than Alydar. 2) I dont care if Jackie Smith did or didnt catch it, the Steelers were going to find a way to win that game. Yeah Staubach lead em back three scores but the defense really lost that game. They never got stops all game and doubt they would have if Dallas tied it at 35. Bottom line if you give up 35 points in any game you should expect to lose. My opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dude just stop with that garbage.
I can't help it if you want to dispute Roger Staubach, and can't tell a horrid pass when you see one. They'd practiced that a gazillion times and a gazillion times the pass was perfect, leading Jackie with a shoulder-high pass instead of coming in knee-high and way behind him. He wasn't ready for such a terrible pass on that play after a gazillion perfect ones.

If you think a knee-high pass that's way behind the intended receiver is supposed to happen then apparently you're a graduate of the Romo passing school. This is STAUBACH we're talking.

Blaming Smith for the SB 13 loss is what's garbage. Score was 21-14 and we hadn't shown any sign of stopping Pissburgh yet, and wound up not doing so.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't help it if you want to dispute Roger Staubach, and can't tell a horrid pass when you see one.

Staubach would NEVER throw a teammate under the bus and blame anyone else. It was NEVER someone else's fault in his eyes, or Aikman's eyes.

Unlike a certain other QB that Zoners worship 24/7

If only Jay Saldi hadn't gotten hurt early in that season. Smith would have never been here in the first place.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't help it if you want to dispute Roger Staubach, and can't tell a horrid pass when you see one. They'd practiced that a gazillion times and a gazillion times the pass was perfect, leading Jackie with a shoulder-high pass instead of coming in knee-high and way behind him. He wasn't ready for such a terrible pass on that play after a gazillion perfect ones.

If you think a knee-high pass that's way behind the intended receiver is supposed to happen then apparently you're a graduate of the Romo passing school. This is STAUBACH we're talking.

Blaming Smith for the SB 13 loss is what's garbage. Score was 21-14 and we hadn't shown any sign of stopping Pissburgh yet, and wound up not doing so.

Pass hit the guy in a bad spot I guess.

WTF are you looking at to argue about this?

Top Bottom