English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Staubach would NEVER throw a teammate under the bus and blame anyone else. It was NEVER someone else's fault in his eyes, or Aikman's eyes.

Unlike a certain other QB that Zoners worship 24/7

If only Jay Saldi hadn't gotten hurt early in that season. Smith would have never been here in the first place.
Just because Staubach wouldn't throw a teammate under the bus doesn't mean it wasn't a bad pass. It was. It was a wounded duck, bad spiral, thrown at Smith's back shoulder instead of leading him, forcing him to stop his route abruptly and slip backwards. Smith still should have caught it though.

And they might not have even made it to the SB if Smith hadn't caught a crucial TD pass in the comeback win over the Falcons in the Divisional Playoff round.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Staubach would NEVER throw a teammate under the bus and blame anyone else. It was NEVER someone else's fault in his eyes
He actually blamed Landry, and even called a timeout to discuss the play he was calling, they'd never ran it in any other situation other than goal line, and Roger thought it was a bad call. Landry told him "just run the play."
If only Jay Saldi hadn't gotten hurt early in that season. Smith would have never been here in the first place.
If only Roger had thrown accurately, Smith would have caught it easily. We can play "what if" all day. What if Roger hadn't thrown that pick which led to a Pissburg TD? What if the Manster hadn't fumbled that kickoff, which Pissburgh immediately cashed in for yet another TD? What if our vaunted #2 ranked Doomsday defense hadn't given Lil' Abner his (to that point) career record 318 passing yards.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just because Staubach wouldn't throw a teammate under the bus doesn't mean it wasn't a bad pass. It was. It was a wounded duck, bad spiral, thrown at Smith's back shoulder instead of leading him, forcing him to stop his route abruptly and slip backwards. Smith still should have caught it though.

And they might not have even made it to the SB if Smith hadn't caught a crucial TD pass in the comeback win over the Falcons in the Divisional Playoff round.
DING

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He actually blamed Landry, and even called a timeout to discuss the play he was calling, they'd never ran it in any other situation other than goal line, and Roger thought it was a bad call. Landry told him "just run the play."
If only Roger had thrown accurately, Smith would have caught it easily. We can play "what if" all day. What if Roger hadn't thrown that pick which led to a Pissburg TD? What if the Manster hadn't fumbled that kickoff, which Pissburgh immediately cashed in for yet another TD? What if our vaunted #2 ranked Doomsday defense hadn't given Lil' Abner his (to that point) career record 318 passing yards.
What if Landry hadn't got cute with the reverse trick play on the opening drive? What if they didn't abandon the run when Dorsett was gashing them consistently in the first half (just 16 carries in the game)?

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
There are what, 130 plays in an average football game? The notion that just one play decides the outcome of a game is utterly ridiculous.

Chill35

Spectator
Reaction score
Haha you guys cracking me up. I was a kid when I saw the game. Never watched it again. Too painful. Not like there were VCRS to record it with.
The only thing I remember is Jackie dropping the pass and us losing.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Haha you guys cracking me up. I was a kid when I saw the game. Never watched it again. Too painful. Not like there were VCRS to record it with.
The only thing I remember is Jackie dropping the pass and us losing.

Yeah I was all of 16 and remember every snap. Don't need any VCRs. I also remember thinking I was seeing the beginning of the end of the era of Cowboys domination for a good long time. The defending champs couldn't repeat.

Reaction score
Yeah I was all of 16 and remember every snap. Don't need any VCRs. I also remember thinking I was seeing the beginning of the end of the era of Cowboys domination for a good long time. The defending champs couldn't repeat.

I was one pissed off 4th grader when they lost to the Rams in the playoffs the following year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
More proof that some of you are either just blind or retarded (or maybe both)

{Looks at Dooms}

This is the view from Staubach's perspective. Again if this is a "terrible pass" it's the best worst terrible pass in the history of the league.

[video=youtube;ezJ5zWBqhSk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezJ5zWBqhSk[/video]

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
More proof that some of you are either just blind or retarded (or maybe both)

{Looks at Dooms}

This is the view from Staubach's perspective. Again if this is a "terrible pass" it's the worst terrible pass in the history of the league.

[video=youtube;ezJ5zWBqhSk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezJ5zWBqhSk[/video]
Yeah but it ain't a good pass either. If it was a good pass how come Smith ends up flat on his back in the endzone? Like I said before though, he still should've caught it, just like Dez should've caught a few of those slightly off target passes from Dak last season. Sometimes a receiver has got to bail his QB out.

Great blitz pickup by Laidlaw though. Textbook stuff.

Last edited:

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Not a perfect pass but you gotta catch it. You're a future HOFer for Christ's sake. I think I remember Staubach saying that he took something off the ball to make it easier to catch, but the pass dipped as a result. Kinda like when you deliberately underthrow a deep pass to a wide open receiver downfield. Better to underthrow and guarantee the long completion than overthrow for an incompletion. In any event, Staubach fell on his sword and took the blame, because that's what leaders do.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Sometimes a receiver has got to bail his QB out.
I definitely agree with this.

dbair simply can't admit what Roger and most intelligent people know, it was a BAD PASS. This does not mean Smith couldn't have or shouldn't have caught it. It's his JOB to catch the fucking ball.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think I remember Staubach saying that he took something off the ball to make it easier to catch
In the article I linked, he said he rushed the pass and should have waited a tad for Smith to finish the route. And that's exactly what it looked like too.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
More proof that some of you are either just blind or retarded
You can't see Smith checking up and reaching down and behind for a pass that should have been leading him?

IT'S A BAD PASS, DUMBASS!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You can't see Smith checking up and reaching down and behind for a pass that should have been leading him?

IT'S A BAD PASS, DUMBASS!

Does he have to slow down a tad, yeah.

Is the pass way behind him or down at his feet? Hell no dumbass, and to argue differently makes you look stupid. Even more stupid than some of the other nonsense you mindlessly babble about from time to time.

Dude should have caught the fucking ball man. That was probably the easiest TD pass a player could possibly have, and he blew it.

I would agree with your other point, we didn't lose the game solely because of that. But it was a horrible drop by a dinosaur player at the end of his career.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Is the pass way behind him or down at his feet?
Knee level, as I said. Way behind him, hell yes. He is running full-out and had to suddenly stop and fall back. The only way you feel you "win" arguments is when you just flat-out LIE about what was said.
That was probably the easiest TD pass a player could possibly have
Not even close to "easiest" reception. Do you even read the shit you type? Actually it was probably the easiest throw for a QB to make, and Roger muffed it.
dinosaur player at the end of his career.
At 38 he could still run a 4.6 40, and the younger Dallas players would get worn out trying to keep up with his work ethic. That's all in the article I linked earlier. Old for his position and certainly for his era, his abilities hadn't eroded in any measurable way.

And, we wanted him back for the next season. He turned us down.

That play is only seminal in the minds of idiots, it didn't turn the game and it wasn't even the worst thing that happened to Dallas in that game. People only point to it because it's the first memory people have of that game, a spectacular failure of a play. The same way people remember Leon Lett's SB 27 gaffe when they think of that game.
Even more stupid than some of the other nonsense you mindlessly babble about from time to time.
That for the most part winds up being correct. It just seems stupid to you, because you are stupid.

Top Bottom