sjmike

Spectator
Reaction score
Hello. Been a fan since 1970. Been through a lot of highs and lows (lately, a hell of a lot more lows) that have been made worse by living amongst the enemy. I know that there is a lot of negativity on this site and on the Cowboys in general but I choose to think of the glass as half full just to keep my sanity and peace of mind.
There have been positives of late including much better drafting and fiscal sanity. Neither of those were evident since Jimmy Johnson left because Jerry would mortgage the future by taking some big name, over the hill star that wouldn't work out and leave the team strapped for cap cash. And this would be made worse by poor drafting.
Anyway, what I see now gives me hope. I see Jerry giving Stephen more power and the Cowboys quietly building something that hopefully lead to a team that contends for many years.
Bash me if you must, but you have to agree that we are in better shape than we have been since Jimmy left. The one bad thing that lingers to me is the head coach. I have nothing against Garrett but 8 years of mediocrity should mean that he needs to go. We need an up and coming young guy with new ideas or a Cowher or someone similiar that has coaching cache and influence to get us to the next level. I am almost hoping for a slow start next year where they pull the plug on Garrett and install Kris Richard as the interim and we go from there. That would give me hope.
One question tho. I know I should have given up the ship long ago as many have but what is the latest with Randy Gregory? Has he been reinstated? Has he even applied? I know he has served his suspension but I haven't heard anything else. The guy is a head case but he is extremely talented. Does anyone know? Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself and looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts and putting out mine.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Hello. Been a fan since 1970. Been through a lot of highs and lows (lately, a hell of a lot more lows) that have been made worse by living amongst the enemy. I know that there is a lot of negativity on this site and on the Cowboys in general but I choose to think of the glass as half full just to keep my sanity and peace of mind.
There have been positives of late including much better drafting and fiscal sanity. Neither of those were evident since Jimmy Johnson left because Jerry would mortgage the future by taking some big name, over the hill star that wouldn't work out and leave the team strapped for cap cash. And this would be made worse by poor drafting.
Anyway, what I see now gives me hope. I see Jerry giving Stephen more power and the Cowboys quietly building something that hopefully lead to a team that contends for many years.
Bash me if you must, but you have to agree that we are in better shape than we have been since Jimmy left. The one bad thing that lingers to me is the head coach. I have nothing against Garrett but 8 years of mediocrity should mean that he needs to go. We need an up and coming young guy with new ideas or a Cowher or someone similiar that has coaching cache and influence to get us to the next level. I am almost hoping for a slow start next year where they pull the plug on Garrett and install Kris Richard as the interim and we go from there. That would give me hope.
One question tho. I know I should have given up the ship long ago as many have but what is the latest with Randy Gregory? Has he been reinstated? Has he even applied? I know he has served his suspension but I haven't heard anything else. The guy is a head case but he is extremely talented. Does anyone know? Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself and looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts and putting out mine.

Dont know that the pothead even cares about playing football. No word that he has even applied to come back or wants to come back. Just another Jerry gamble that was a wasted draft pick.

Since Gregory got into Rynie's stash football hasnt been a priority. :rofl2

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the board Mike. I do think you're wrong on a couple of points you made. The board is "negative," per se. If the team was run better and had better coaching, we'd all be ecstatic. We simply reflect the current state of the team and are our opinions are not influenced by blind homerism.

And speaking of blind homerism, I don't know how you can say this team is in better shape today than we've been since Jimmy left. We've got poor coaching (which you acknowledge) and questions at the QB position. We've got guys like Dez taking up cap space and severely underperforming relative to their cap hit. Romo's dead money is still on the books to the tune of millions. And do tell me about this drafting prowess you refereed to. 2012, 2013 and 2015 are not looking so good. Smith, Collins and Tapper have done little to justify their draft status in 2016 and Taco is still a question mark in 2017.

sjmike

Spectator
Reaction score
I am just referring to our last two or three years that have resulted in some good players. And I am not as down on Dak as most. He looked great last year with a full squad of talent around him. I think he tried to do too much when Zeke wasn't there and became skittish when the protection broke down. Don't give up on him yet. I think he is still our franchise quarterback

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am just referring to our last two or three years that have resulted in some good players. And I am not as down on Dak as most. He looked great last year with a full squad of talent around him. I think he tried to do too much when Zeke wasn't there and became skittish when the protection broke down. Don't give up on him yet. I think he is still our franchise quarterback

Part of the last 3 years gave us Randy Gregory, Chaz Green, Tapper, and The Gimp, to name a few. 2017 is still a question mark but we may have hit on some quality CB's but Taco has a lot to prove as the top pick. The idea that this team has drafted well is a myth. They've been good on hitting on first round O linemen but then completely shit the bed on Escobar, Williams, Willcox along with the scrubs I previously mentioned. We are nowhere near better off today than when Jimmy left. We may actually be worse off.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You are in deep denial.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Hello. Been a fan since 1970.
Welcome to :theu Mike!
I know that there is a lot of negativity on this site
It's only "negativity" when it's not true. When it's true the correct term is "Reality." And there's a lot of reality on this site. Most of us threw down and stomped on our rose colored glasses years ago.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Dont know that the pothead even cares about playing football. No word that he has even applied to come back or wants to come back. Just another Jerry gamble that was a wasted draft pick.

Since Gregory got into Rynie's stash football hasnt been a priority. :rofl2

Haha.
No lie, I once met Lance Dunbar buying weed from my friend. 70% of the league smokes. Zeke smokes. Thats why i cant stand Gregory. They know when they're getting tested; he's too stupid to pass a test.

sjmike

Spectator
Reaction score
What were you guys saying last year when they went 13-3 or 3 years ago when they went 12-4? I made a vow 4 years ago that I would never watch another Cowboys game until Jerry Jones was gone but it's not realistic. I can't give up on them. I live in Eagles country and I see how the fans have reacted with tears after not having won a Super Bowl. That is gonna be me when we finally do. And we will. I think that we are building a team that can do it. Need to upgrade the WR core, replace Witten, and tinker with the defense. I think that we have a top ten defense if we can resign Lawrence, Irving and Hitchens. Gotta have faith!!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What were you guys saying last year when they went 13-3 or 3 years ago when they went 12-4?
We knew these were fluke seasons where everything went right for us but just like fucking 2007 we would shit the bed in the playoffs, one and done. Except unlike the surprise 2007 was, we knew our coaching was going to be the reason for shitting the bed.

"Faith" is for religion, believing in an imaginary friend you or no one else can see. We have the knowledge that even when everything goes our way, the huge flaw is the liability wearing the coach's headset on playoff game day. Every game day, in fact. And no personnel moves we can do will change that or give us any better outcome.

"Faith" in the team is for 11 year olds who don't know any better.

Reaction score
Complete yoyo team. One year they're up and the next they're down. I admit I got caught up in it although I tempered my expectations in the playoffs. Not going to happen any more. This team has no depth and no quality coaching and until that changes this team will always be mediocre.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Some educational reading, to fog those rose colored glasses.

Dallas Cowboys: Over past 22 years, numbers tell the story of how Cowboys have become NFL's version of the Kardashians | SportsDay
Twelve franchises have won a title since the Cowboys last got their hands on a Lombardi Trophy to put in the foyer of their offices.

The Steelers have won two more titles to pass the Cowboys and lead the charge with six. New England has picked up five to tie the Cowboys and San Francisco for second place.

The Cowboys motto: Hey, what about the 49ers? They've gone 23 years without a Super Bowl title. How bad is that?

Pittsburgh passing you by is one thing. Witnessing New England's rise hurts. But it can be argued the worst indignity the Cowboys have endured during their blue period is having two NFC East foes -- New York and Philadelphia -- capture three world titles between them.

Another Cowboys motto: Hey, at least we're not Washington.

Only six franchises have fewer postseason victories than the Cowboys over the last 22 years. The Patriots have won 10 playoff games to every one for the Cowboys in this period.

Dallas went 13 years without a postseason win. The club is currently lost in a three-year drought.

Barry Switzer was the coach for the Cowboys last Super Bowl victory. Troy Aikman was the quarterback.

Five coaches have presided over the franchise since that day. Now, guess how many quarterbacks have started a regular season game for the Cowboys since Aikman was in control? Think hard. The number may surprise you.

It's 18.

Tired of tracing everything back to Super Bowl XXX? Understand. Let's stay in this century.

Since 2000, the Eagles have won twice as many division titles as the Cowboys. The count:

8: Philadelphia

4: Cowboys

4: NY Giants

2: Washington

Feel better?

The Cowboys haven't been a dreadful regular season team. Dallas has had a winning record 11 times since its last Super Bowl. The team has won 10 or more games in seven seasons.

The Cowboys have simply been unable to strike when the iron is hot. They have not been relevant in the postseason.

They have become NFL's version of the Kardashians. Famous for no more than just, being famous.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We knew these were fluke seasons where everything went right for us but just like fucking 2007 we would shit the bed in the playoffs, one and done. Except unlike the surprise 2007 was, we knew our coaching was going to be the reason for shitting the bed.

"Faith" is for religion, believing in an imaginary friend you or no one else can see. We have the knowledge that even when everything goes our way, the huge flaw is the liability wearing the coach's headset on playoff game day. Every game day, in fact. And no personnel moves we can do will change that or give us any better outcome.

"Faith" in the team is for 11 year olds who don't know any better.

You forgot the last place schedule part.

sjmike

Spectator
Reaction score
Man, you guys are a bunch of miserable SOBs. Were you beaten as a child? Yeah, there's been a lot of shit that we have had to put up with and endure, but fandom is supposed to be fun, be a pleasant distraction from our every day boring lives. Why even follow this team if you can't hope or see a light at the end of the tunnel? You guys sound like my first wife. She was a negative Nancy. I moved on and surrounded myself with positive people. As I will now. Good night, good sports

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Man, you guys are a bunch of miserable SOBs. Were you beaten as a child? Yeah, there's been a lot of shit that we have had to put up with and endure, but fandom is supposed to be fun, be a pleasant distraction from our every day boring lives. Why even follow this team if you can't hope or see a light at the end of the tunnel? You guys sound like my first wife. She was a negative Nancy. I moved on and surrounded myself with positive people. As I will now. Good night, good sports

It is fun, like any other hobby. It's not a religion though, like the fucking infantile homers try to make it. There's DC sites which cater to the religion, this isn't one of them. Snowflakes need not register here, especially when they can't tolerate their blind religious faith challenged by facts.

We're not a group of fucking cheerleaders, most of the regulars here simply outgrew that stupid shit long ago. Sunshine pumping and waving the pom poms, any moron can do.

Top Bottom