Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The numbers speak for themselves dude.

First 8 games, 16 tds, 4 picks, 163/259 63% comp, 7yds per attempt. Those numbers weren't as good as 2016 (esp comp% and yds per attempt) but they are more than acceptable.

The Denver game was utter fail on the entire team (offense and defense). The Rams game we blew a nice big lead after scoring every time we had the ball in the first half.

Again, I stand by what I said. Something happened those last 8 games. Now you can definitely cite the Zeke suspension and Tyron Smith injuries as a major cause on top of whatever Prescott was doing, but I do think it's possible he was playing hurt the 2nd half of the season. he took a tremendous beating in the Atlanta and Philly games. He was sacked 32 times this past yr (the majority of which were the 2nd half of the season) and the amount of pressures/hits on the QB given up by our OL were up vastly this yr as opposed to 2016.

Forget the numbers and believe what your eyes tell you dbair. Holy smokes the "numbers" show that Dak is the best QB throwing in tight windows. Do you honestly believe that? And that Dez is the 3rd best WR catching the ball in "tight windows." I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall sometimes; like folks didn't even watch the game and just go to right to the box scores or something.

He didn't look good to start the season and I thought he may have turned it around in the Arizona game but it was a mirage. This wasn't something that just crept up on him the final 8 games. He needs to drastically improve his game. You can teach decision making with experience but I don't think you can teach accuracy or pocket awareness. The guy was incapable of stepping up in the pocket, avoiding the rush and throwing a strike downfield. Some of the sacks he took were really on him because he can't feel the pressure and step up and make a throw. Those are the things that concern me the most. If he's not accurate, throw to a spot or throw his receivers open, then that limits the playbook and it makes it easy for D's to defend him.

Defenses are going to use the same approach next season that they did this season. Force Dak to beat them. And it's only going to get harder for Dak as Zeke gets fatter every year.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And just for the record, if he has a bad 2018 then in no way, shape or form do I want to see us give him a long term contract with a bunch of guaranteed money.

You thought he had a decent 2017 season so this isn't saying much.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
He had a great rookie season. Then we lost Leary, let Free walk and Tyron got hurt on the line, ok. I got it. That didn't seem to bother most other QBs that were supposedly supreme. Zeke suspension, ok fine. Eagles won the fucking super bowl with a back up QB playing with a 14 year vet at running back until he got hurt then a jag for a running back after.

We should not need the most dominating offensive line in all of football AND The most dominating running back in all of football AND the most dominating fast reeivers in all of football in order to win games. Folks, Dak got figured out. There was film on his ass from last year coming into this year. Shit he got away with last year that was washed over in the feel good story didn't fly this year. They won't next year either. The kids RGfuckingIII without the rushing stats.

gp_cowpolk

Spectator
Reaction score
Yup. I’m sure they listen to Dak if he has something to say. He comes across as assertive (a great trait). Our fumbling coaches wouldn’t be able to process it, nor lend any credence.

Romo would just grab the horse and steer it himself! Aikman as GM and Romo as HC would be some next level management! :)

I’m pulling for the kid. And praying and tithing for a regime change.

I think he will have a good season this go round he just had some bad luck last year

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He had a great rookie season. Then we lost Leary, let Free walk and Tyron got hurt on the line, ok. I got it. That didn't seem to bother most other QBs that were supposedly supreme. Zeke suspension, ok fine. Eagles won the fucking super bowl with a back up QB playing with a 14 year vet at running back until he got hurt then a jag for a running back after.

We should not need the most dominating offensive line in all of football AND The most dominating running back in all of football AND the most dominating fast reeivers in all of football in order to win games. Folks, Dak got figured out. There was film on his ass from last year coming into this year. Shit he got away with last year that was washed over in the feel good story didn't fly this year. They won't next year either. The kids RGfuckingIII without the rushing stats.
All remains to be seen. Only four games fewer won far exceeded my expectations for the season, and even though I predicted teams would have book on Dak and be able to give him lots of trouble. He's a 2nd year guy with idiots for coaches.

On a side note, Doug Free retiring was actually a good thing, not a bad one. Drive-Killer leading the league in holding calls, good riddance.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This isn't a massive sampling, but it's enough that anyone can see some major differences between 2016 and 2017 (especially 2nd half of 2017)

The accuracy and ball placement is eons better in 2016. Two things I think are pretty noticeable are his footwork and how he is squaring his shoulders better than what he did the 2nd half of 2017, when he was throwing off his back foot or sometimes almost with a standstill and using all arm instead of squaring his shoulders and driving the ball with his legs.

Again, if we are getting Prescott 2016 the majority of the time we are in good shape. We also need Zeke of 2016 again.

[video=youtube;Zn5CwIDCwqs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn5CwIDCwqs[/video]

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Two things I think are pretty noticeable are his footwork and how he is squaring his shoulders better than what he did the 2nd half of 2017,
Yep and if it is obvious to us why didnt Ginger, Linehan and Helen point that out last year? Gonna be another long season.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This isn't a massive sampling, but it's enough that anyone can see some major differences between 2016 and 2017 (especially 2nd half of 2017)

The accuracy and ball placement is eons better in 2016. Two things I think are pretty noticeable are his footwork and how he is squaring his shoulders better than what he did the 2nd half of 2017, when he was throwing off his back foot or sometimes almost with a standstill and using all arm instead of squaring his shoulders and driving the ball with his legs.

Again, if we are getting Prescott 2016 the majority of the time we are in good shape. We also need Zeke of 2016 again.

[video=youtube;Zn5CwIDCwqs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn5CwIDCwqs[/video]

I'd love to know what Romo was doing with Dak last year, wonder if he went as far as working on his mechanics

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought the first half of his season was decent, not the 2nd half.

Pay attention.

It must have pained you to use "decent" in your description of our franchise QB. Is decent the best you got? Was he "decent" at Denver? Was he 'decent" against Washington? I don't even think he was "decent" at NY to open the season. I mean, he had 5 games all season where his QB rating was above 100. He had 8 games where his QB rating was below 90 and one where it was 90. That's not "decent."

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Again, I stand by what I said. Something happened those last 8 games. Now you can definitely cite the Zeke suspension and Tyron Smith injuries as a major cause on top of whatever Prescott was doing, but I do think it's possible he was playing hurt the 2nd half of the season.
Same here. I've never seen a QB go from so good to so bad that quickly.

Hopefully it was an injury, because it it was just his head/confidence going south, we're in trouble.

Reaction score
Same here. I've never seen a QB go from so good to so bad that quickly.

Hopefully it was an injury, because it it was just his head/confidence going south, we're in trouble.

I agree with Dooms' take on this. In 2016 Dak, was a blank slate. He was just himself, and thrived. In 2017, Dak had a year of shitty coaching from Wade Wilson and Jason Garrett. He was mentally poisoned with the same malaise that infects the whole organization.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm not ruling out a combination of both, combined with our total inability to make adjustments week to week when just about every opponent is taking Beasley away and making us try to beat them with a old slow former all-pro TE and Dez. Our #1 receiver of 2016 was taken away week in and week out and we never did a damn thing about it.
I agree with Dooms' take on this. In 2016 Dak, was a blank slate. He was just himself, and thrived. In 2017, Dak had a year of shitty coaching from Wade Wilson and Jason Garrett. He was mentally poisoned with the same malaise that infects the whole organization.
Right and it's never just the one thing. To me it's most likely a combination of all of the above.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My only problem with blaming the scheme -- which of course is nothing special -- is Dak started missing open dumpoffs and easy passes like that. It's 3rd and 8, he drops back, looks around, moves up in the pocket, sees a back or WR six yards away on the sideline, and overthrows it so badly the receiver doesn't have a chance. Those should be no-brainer completions every time, and suddenly they weren't.

Maybe is is that he started so hot he never even considered anything going wrong, and then the Atlanta game happened and it shook his confidence. We haven't heard of any injuries after the season ended, and I bet Jerry would have leaked it if there'd been one. Bad news if that's it, though.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My only problem with blaming the scheme
I don't see anyone doing that. I see it mentioned as one part of the overall problem though. It ain't the one thing.
It's 3rd and 8, he drops back, looks around, moves up in the pocket, sees a back or WR six yards away on the sideline, and overthrows it so badly the receiver doesn't have a chance. Those should be no-brainer completions every time, and suddenly they weren't.
If not due to injury it still happens to everyone off and on and it wasn't prevalent for Dak last year. People with short memories forgot the whole season Drew Brees seemingly couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Our confidence in Dak is lagging and understandably so. He definitely had a falloff from the previous year. We can only speculate as to why and only hope for improvement.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It must have pained you to use "decent" in your description of our franchise QB. Is decent the best you got? Was he "decent" at Denver? Was he 'decent" against Washington? I don't even think he was "decent" at NY to open the season. I mean, he had 5 games all season where his QB rating was above 100. He had 8 games where his QB rating was below 90 and one where it was 90. That's not "decent."

Oh be quiet Romo lover

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I know he threw a ton of praise to Mark Sanchez for his success as a rookie, but after the Miss State football season ended he went to one of those QB coach gurus who worked with him all throughout the draft process and offseason. I don't recall the guys name, nor so I know if he had any more involvement with Prescott after training camp started his rookie year.

If he didn't, perhaps having that guy involved again in the offseason would be a smart move.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its getting pretty football serious in here and nowhere near enough shit talking

Can we talk shot about wentz not being able to drive for shit??

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe is is that he started so hot he never even considered anything going wrong, and then the Atlanta game happened and it shook his confidence. We haven't heard of any injuries after the season ended, and I bet Jerry would have leaked it if there'd been one. Bad news if that's it, though.

There would be no reason to hide an injury to Dak, especially since the season is over. Jerry would have put that out there the day after the Eagles game. I really think Dak's confidence is shot. And I also feel he bought into the hype of him being some super accurate passer who doesn't turn the ball over. He needs an offense that's tweaked and tailored to his strengths and I'm not sure he has that with Garrett/Linehan.

Top Bottom