theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Read scuttlebut from the Senior Bowl yesterday that both Demaryious Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders could end up on the street. I would kick the tires on both.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Demaryius Thomas for $4 million???

Is he injured or something?

If not, punt Dez asap and replace with Demaryius, he got a 34 on his wonderlic too (compared to Dez's 16)

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So they wanna lock him and his aching back up long tern? Sounds about right.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So they wanna lock him and his aching back up long tern? Sounds about right.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
maybe not bell....? consider the source:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Washington has already franchise tagged Cousins twice if I recall. That means he’s not eligible for a third time right?

It’s time for Washington to shit or get off the pot

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Washington has already franchise tagged Cousins twice if I recall. That means he’s not eligible for a third time right?

It’s time for Washington to shit or get off the pot

he's eligible but its gonna cost them $28.78 to $34.5 million

Kirk Cousins saga could culminate in 2018 transition tag
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2017, 3:26 PM EST

The rules of the franchise tag make it highly unlikely that Washington will use the device both in 2017 and in 2018 on quarterback Kirk Cousins. But there’s a little-known rule that could come into play next year.

In 2017, the franchise tag would give Cousins a 20-percent raise over his $19.95 million franchise tag from 2016, which becomes $23.94 million for 16 games. Next year, the franchise tag would result in a 44-percent raise, which would be $34.47 million.

This means that Washington, as a practical matter, wouldn’t use the franchise tag on Cousins in 2018 — if they use it in 2017.

But the Collective Bargaining Agreement provides another route. Washington could apply the franchise tag this year and the transition tag in 2018. By rule, this would result in only a 20-percent increase over Cousins’ $23.94 million compensation in 2017.

That approach would cost $28.78 million in 2018, but that would be nearly $6 million less than a third use of the franchise tag. More importantly, it would make the formula for a long-term deal based on the franchise tag more affordable (or less unaffordable) than it otherwise would be. Instead of a long-term deal premised on Cousins making $23.94 million this year and $34.47 million next year, Washington could offer $23.94 million plus $28.78 million over the first two years of a long-term deal. That’s $52.72 million over two years. Yes, that would make Cousins the highest-paid player in football. But what others make doesn’t matter when a player’s leverage is determined by the rules of the franchise and transition tags.

While the transition tag carries no compensation, it would Washington the right to match any offer Cousins attracts on the open market in 2018. The question then would be whether Cousins wants to sign an offer sheet that Washington would be inclined to match, or one that Washington wouldn’t match.

Washington started down this path in 2016 by using the franchise tag and not signing Cousins to a long-term deal. He now has the upper hand, and there’s no reason why he shouldn’t use it.

When owners take full advantage of business leverage, they’re praised for being shrewd. When players do it, they’re often called selfish. Regardless, Cousins currently has nothing to lose by letting things play out.

If Washington tags him again this year, Cousins gets $23.94 million for one more year — and either $28.78 million in 2018 or a clean shot at the open market. If Washington doesn’t tag him, the open market will set his value now.

Either way, Cousins will win. All that’s left to be determined is who pays him and how much.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i think cousins is as good as gone too

ive read a bunch of stuff saying that cousins has been doing his research along with his agent. they kno the numbers and washington is not willing to pay it. theyre going to draft someone and i think make a play for a backup. theres lots of low-tier starters/backups that will be floating around whether via free agency or trade.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Reaction score
i think cousins is as good as gone too

ive read a bunch of stuff saying that cousins has been doing his research along with his agent. they kno the numbers and washington is not willing to pay it. theyre going to draft someone and i think make a play for a backup. theres lots of low-tier starters/backups that will be floating around whether via free agency or trade.

The real question should be just how good is Cousins?? I never thought he was too much more than slightly above average.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hey Jason, only way that happens is you force a trade to NE.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

damned if they do, damned if they dont

when have they ever made a great free agent signing? Deon is the only one I can think of and some people feel that ruined their cap, I tend to believe they needed him to win SB XXX

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I thought a team could only franchise tag a player two years in a row

I've always heard 3 years but no one ever does the 3rd year because its so outrageously expensive, the article I posted above describes how it works in Kirks case

Reaction score
damned if they do, damned if they dont

when have they ever made a great free agent signing? Deon is the only one I can think of and some people feel that ruined their cap, I tend to believe they needed him to win SB XXX

Yep.Its always risky. Sounds good to desperate fans but the reality is often different and ole Jerry boy has a poor track record when it comes to signing FA's.

Top Bottom