Reaction score
er, we criticize and scold because we love the team and want them to do better. you should realize by now that Jerry's arrogance and ego are impediments to winning.

I want the team to do better and while Jerry has failed many times i do think the team can win in spite of him. Is this gonna be a problem?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I want the team to do better and while Jerry has failed many times i do think the team can win in spite of him. Is this gonna be a problem?

yes, two wild card playoff wins in 20+ years is going to be a problem

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am not a young fan though i may n ot be as old as some of you. I have always been a Cowboy fan since the early seventies when the tv ONLY had three chan nels and the Cowboys were always on cause they truly were America's team and they won ..not always but enough to capture the hearts of a generation. I remember some tough losses during that era and i remember the swirling sound during the eighties as the franchise went so far down the bowl talks of moving the franchise to the west coast surfaced.
While i don't condone everything Jerry does i do respect that he dragged this franchise (once) out of the toilet and put it back on the mountain. You can say he did it with Jimmy and I agree but the reality is he hired Jimmy and together they orchestrated a perfect storm for a few years, after that he tried to recreate the success but the bar was already raised. Now he suffers from his own success and nothing less than the sb will do for many fans. I want the next sb as much as the rest of you but i am also tempered with the struggles that all franchises have and they didn't "start" with Jerry, they are just part of the business. It's hard to win in the nfl and Jerry know this as do i.
That said i don't have a problem with anyone that hates Jerry, in fact i learned early on that success almost always breeds hate eventually. In short i think this franchise can win a sb in spite of Jerry

This is nonsense. If you think the team was in the gutter in the 80's, I got news for you. I'd take the 80's over this abortion we have now. The team went to 3 NFC Conference Championship games during the 80's. They went to the playoffs 5 times in the 80's. The fluttered because they had no franchise QB to speak of and they would have taken Aikman #1 overall even if the team wasn't sold.

Jerry doesn't suffer "from his own success." He suffers from his own ego and lack of knowledge. The problem is, Jerry thinks he knows what he doesn't know. he thinks because he made billions that he's successful at his craft. He's not, not as a GM or football guy anyway.

And he never tried to "recreate" that success. When he fired a real football coach and architect of his team, he went with hiring "yes" men that wouldn't overshadow the jerk; that he could feel comfortable with. UCLA coach Tom Donahue walked out the door when he heard Jerry's ultimatums. And the guy never came back.

And I will agree that winning is tough but there's an old saying, "Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." In other words, winning is tough but it's tougher when you don't try to win the right way by devaluing the position of HC and not hiring a qualified guy. By not understanding how to build a team through a philosophy or a plan. When you think you could identify football talent and you fancy yourself a football guy but you were drilling for oil a year or two prior. Yeah, winning is tough. But it's shown to be impossible with Jerry.

Reaction score
i don't feel like Jerry's ego and arrogance caused Tony to bobble the snap in Seattle. I don't think it caused our failure to convert on 3rd and one then on fourth and one with Emmitt in the backfield. I don't think it caused Dak to throw four times as many interceptions this season. I don't think it caused Tony's injury, Lee's injury or Smith's injury.

I am fine with healthy debate and you don't like Jerry .I am good with that too but i don't see things exactly as you and like to form my own opinions?
I missed the box to check that required me to hate Jerry with so much malice that everything else should be ignored.

Reaction score
This is nonsense. If you think the team was in the gutter in the 80's, I got news for you. I'd take the 80's over this abortion we have now. The team went to 3 NFC Conference Championship games during the 80's. They went to the playoffs 5 times in the 80's. The fluttered because they had no franchise QB to speak of and they would have taken Aikman #1 overall even if the team wasn't sold.

Jerry doesn't suffer "from his own success." He suffers from his own ego and lack of knowledge. The problem is, Jerry thinks he knows what he doesn't know. he thinks because he made billions that he's successful at his craft. He's not, not as a GM or football guy anyway.

And he never tried to "recreate" that success. When he fired a real football coach and architect of his team, he went with hiring "yes" men that wouldn't overshadow the jerk; that he could feel comfortable with. UCLA coach Tom Donahue walked out the door when he heard Jerry's ultimatums. And the guy never came back.

And I will agree that winning is tough but there's an old saying, "Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." In other words, winning is tough but it's tougher when you don't try to win the right way by devaluing the position of HC and not hiring a qualified guy. By not understanding how to build a team through a philosophy or a plan. When you think you could identify football talent and you fancy yourself a football guy but you were drilling for oil a year or two prior. Yeah, winning is tough. But it's shown to be impossible with Jerry.

you don't think Jerry can win..i am good with that. I think the Cowboys can and i hope they can in spite of Jerry.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
i don't feel like Jerry's ego and arrogance caused Tony to bobble the snap in Seattle. I don't think it caused our failure to convert on 3rd and one then on fourth and one with Emmitt in the backfield. I don't think it caused Dak to throw four times as many interceptions this season. I don't think it caused Tony's injury, Lee's injury or Smith's injury.

who hired the coach who called that inane 4th and 1 play in Philly? who hired the defensive coordinator whose defense falls apart whenever Lee's out of the lineup? who retains a head coach who reeks of mediocrity when teams like Philly turn it around in two years?

Reaction score
who hired the coach who called that inane 4th and 1 play in Philly? who hired the defensive coordinator whose defense falls apart whenever Lee's out of the lineup? who retains a head coach who reeks of mediocrity when teams like Philly turn it around in two years?

Jerry hired them and he has fired them all too.... again is hating Jerry and agreeing with everyone a requirement?

correction he hasn't fired Garrett ...yet but his time will come too.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry hired them and he has fired them all too.... again is hating Jerry and agreeing with everyone a requirement?

correction he hasn't fired Garrett ...yet but his time will come too.

if the head coach and both coordinators survive this off-season, something is seriously fucked up. don't expect me to be impressed by a cosmetic change like a new WR coach.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The fact that the franchise haven't won a SB for 22 years, while disappointing, doesn't make me angry. I understand that winning a SB is a bloody hard thing to do. What makes me angry is the fact we haven't even come close. Not once. Not even a sniff. And the reason we haven't come close is ultimately down to Jerry. His quite frankly bizarre personnel decisions. His stubbornness (or inability, whichever you prefer) to see when he is wrong. His preference for style over substance (including building a stadium for tourists with no discernible home field advantage). His ego. His nepotism.

He deserves great credit for those first 7 years. But he's used up all of that credit, all of that goodwill. Now he's just taking the piss.

Reaction score
honestly guys i found this site when they closed the dallascowboys.com forums. It seems like a pretty cool place to hang out and read varying opinions. Some of the others started their own site when it closed but it seems to be going the direction of so many others and feels like a club where only those they approve of are allowed in. I prefer to read unchained opinions based on individuals not what others want them to say. I am not trying to change any of your opinions, make any of you like Jerry, or pound the keys with nonsense from the last twenty years debating on whose crap stinks worse, Jerry's or Jimmy's.
Just looking for some opiniated info and trying to stay in tune with the news and at this point in time i am attempting to do it without the official website as their inability to write timely articles , break the news before other outlets combined with the crappy writers has left me wanting more even before the forums were shut down.
I'm not looking for a big hug from any of you but a litle tolerance of a differing opinion might go a long way to making me feel at least a little welcome.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a big hug from any of you but a litle tolerance of a differing opinion might go a long way to making me feel at least a little welcome.
We do welcome varying opinions, we take the gloves off with each other from time to time, it is not an old boys club but most of us get a long just fine. I think the disconnect between you and most of us is that we reached a certain conclusion quite a while ago and year after the evidence supports it. To most of us certain things are obvious and right in front of your nose. Apparently you havent reached that point yet and I am not really sure that will take.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
We do welcome varying opinions, we take the gloves off with each other from time to time, it is not an old boys club but most of us get a long just fine. I think the disconnect between you and most of us is that we reached a certain conclusion quite a while ago and year after the evidence supports it. To most of us certain things are obvious and right in front of your nose. Apparently you havent reached that point yet and I am not really sure that will take.

I'm trying to understand why a Jerry admirer like him would have to flee CZ.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

The thing is, if he had only failed a few times it'd be fine. You write some of that off due to circumstances or bad luck.

But he's failed miserably for 22 years now "doing it his way". We haven't been to a single conference championship game and really only came close to getting there once in all those seasons. We haven't had back to back 10+ win seasons since 95/96 and obviously haven't sniffed a Super Bowl appearance. from 2000-2004 you could point to a clear lack of talent, but since 2005 there has been ample enough talent to be better. We're not because of the way he runs the team, the culture he has created and his total lack of belief that GOOD coaching really matters.

He's an oil guy. What he does with the team is akin to someone insisting on drilling in the same dried up well/area over and over and over again, expecting the gusher to come at anytime despite oil experts telling him there's none there to find.

Jerry has proven he cant build a real winner. We can all hope for the occasional miracle season like 2007, 2009, 2014 or 2016, but there's only 4 of those in 22 years. There's no excuse for it. He has the resources to have a consistent winner and refuses to take advantage of it because he wants "to do it his way"

I love the team and have been a diehard fan since 1975, but I'm pretty much resolved that as long as he keeps doing what he is doing, we're going to see the same level of year in and year out mediocrity from now on.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
you don't think Jerry can win..i am good with that. I think the Cowboys can and i hope they can in spite of Jerry.

The team has the talent to win, but they don't have the direction or focus IMO. We clearly have a week in and week out Achilles heel when it comes to coaching (mainly the HC)

Hey don't get me wrong, I want them to win every week. But again this is 22 years of a track record now, not just a couple. There has to be a reason for that and there is only one constant for those 22 years. He's changed over the roster and overall talent is better. Coaches have been changed out. He built a giant stadium to cram 100k fans into. One constant there.

Top Bottom