theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Defenses know he is no threat beyond 7-8 yards, just makes us easier to defend when he is on the field now.

I was really hoping he'd retire, but short of that he needs to be in a secondary role on the team now, 2nd or 3rd TE. No way he should be the starter and a primary receiving threat anymore.

Yep dbair this is a major problem on offense, there is not one WR or TE defenses fear. Shrinks the amount of real estate defenses have to realistically worry about. Zeke really the only offensive play maker right now the opponents game plan for. Other wise restrict Dak to the pocket and love your chances.

408Cowboy

Spectator
Reaction score
The author forgot to list Dez under cuts. Don't even want him back at a reduced price as he is more disaster than good player at this point. He can be an accident waiting to happen on another roster. I think it would help settle Dak down as well since he wouldn't have to worry about forcing some passes to Dez every game.

Talk Witten into retirement, or a reduced role as well. I like Witten, but time has caught up with him. If he's holding on for a ring then he needs to talk to Belicheat in NE. The nepotist way the franchise does business means that management is too sentimental to cut Witten, or talk him into retirement, and the coaches don't have the authority to reduce his role.

Don't we need aTE coach? Would solve the Witten problem.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But to solve the "Witten problem" it's called "retirement" and draft a killer TE.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's time.

It's a lot like Randy White. Some of these guys, you have to rip the jersey off their back. They don't ever want to hang up the cleats but that's also what made them so great too.

In their time.

Reaction score
It's a lot like Randy White. Some of these guys, you have to rip the jersey off their back. They don't ever want to hang up the cleats but that's also what made them so great too.

In their time.

Yep. Ole Tom had his favourites too and allowed a lot of the old defenders to hang around a little too long.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yep. Ole Tom had his favourites too and allowed a lot of the old defenders to hang around a little too long.
Leaving Jimmy the sad job of weeding them out.

In fairness to Tom though - the braintrust of Gil Brandt and Tex Schramm never gave Tom anyone who could legitimately beat out The Manster. Just like with Witten now - we don't have anyone on our roster who can win the job from him.

Reaction score
Leaving Jimmy the sad job of weeding them out.

In fairness to Tom though - the braintrust of Gil Brandt and Tex Schramm never gave Tom anyone who could legitimately beat out The Manster. Just like with Witten now - we don't have anyone on our roster who can win the job from him.

Yes, there is merit in what you say. In fact, when ole Tom was let go it was time also. Although it certainly could have been handled better. I know people who still have not forgiven Jones for that.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Although it certainly could have been handled better.
The real story of how it was handled is in Jimmy's book, and it will surprise you it is nothing like what the then-shrill Dallas sports media portrayed it as. Tom was golfing, and word was sent that the new owner wanted to meet with him, and Tom said "come on down to the club house, we'll talk there."

It wasn't anything badly done and Tom even verified that. I had no beef with it at the time and neither did Tom or his wife.

It could have waited, sure. And Jerry had to pay Tom well in excess of 1 million bucks to be rid of him, either way. That never was reported.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
The Manster & Witten, all time Cowboy greats. The argument could be made that both belong in the top 5 for Cowboy greats.

Reaction score
The Manster & Witten, all time Cowboy greats. The argument could be made that both belong in the top 5 for Cowboy greats.

Top 5 all time in pro football for both in my opinion. Randy White's performance in SB 12 alone warrants HoF status.

Witten, even without a ring, is top 3 in virtually every significant TE category. He's clearly the best TE in Cowboys history, and that is saying something because the Cowboys have a long history of high quality TEs.

Top Bottom