icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I could see Jarwin, Neal and maybe Rush turning into something. Everybody else can go. Churn baby Churn.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
“Heres all these guys that didnt warrant enough time for a full evaluation,

We’ll just list them alphabetically for the sake of argument

And then here we have chaz green”

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jon Machota on Twitter: "Ranking the Dallas Cowboys' roster: Nos. 40-31 https://t.co/2F9ZYo6zj3"

Part 2: Ranking the Dallas Cowboys' roster: Nos. 40-31

40.) Kyle Wilber, LB -- Wilber has played in all but one game over the last five seasons. He was primarily used on special teams in 2017, finishing with 10 tackles and a forced fumble.

39.) Geoff Swaim, TE -- The Cowboys basically played only three tight ends in 2017. Swaim, who averaged 11.5 offensive snaps per game, caught two passes for 25 yards in 15 games.

38.) Keith Smith, FB -- Smith played in every game, averaging eight offensive and 15 special teams snaps per game. He did not have a carry but he caught five passes for 26 yards.

37.) Damien Wilson, LB -- Wilson appeared in every game, starting nine as the team's strong side linebacker. He finished 11th on the team with 29 tackles and added a sack.

36.) Kavon Frazier, S -- Frazier worked into the mix as Dallas' fourth safety during his second season. He recorded 33 tackles in 15 games. Frazier was on the field for 37 defensive snaps his rookie season. He played 221 in 2017.

35.) L.P. Ladouceur, LS -- Always difficult to rank the long snapper. Ladouceur, who remains one of the best in the business, just finished his 13th season with the Cowboys.

34.) James Hanna, TE -- Hanna scored his first career touchdown in 2017. Although he only finished with four catches during the season, he started eight games and was a regular contributor in the running game.

33.) Benson Mayowa, DE -- In 14 games, the backup pass rusher finished with 21 tackles, one sack and three tackles for loss. Mayowa led the Cowboys in sacks in 2016 with six in 13 games.

32.) Taco Charlton, DE -- The first-round pick didn't make a huge impact during his rookie season, but he did improve as the year went along. He finished with 19 tackles, three sacks and seven quarterback hits. He has the ability to quickly climb into the top 20 if he continues to progress.

31.) Ryan Switzer, WR/KR/PR -- Switzer didn't have much of a role on offense, but he was among the NFL's top kickoff returners, averaging 25 yards per his 24 returns. He finished 12th in punt return average, which included an 83-yard touchdown return against Washington.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jon Machota on Twitter: "Ranking the Dallas Cowboys' roster: Nos. 40-31 https://t.co/2F9ZYo6zj3"

40.) Kyle Wilber, LB -- Wilber has played in all but one game over the last five seasons. He was primarily used on special teams in 2017, finishing with 10 tackles and a forced fumble.

39.) Geoff Swaim, TE -- The Cowboys basically played only three tight ends in 2017. Swaim, who averaged 11.5 offensive snaps per game, caught two passes for 25 yards in 15 games.

38.) Keith Smith, FB -- Smith played in every game, averaging eight offensive and 15 special teams snaps per game. He did not have a carry but he caught five passes for 26 yards.

37.) Damien Wilson, LB -- Wilson appeared in every game, starting nine as the team's strong side linebacker. He finished 11th on the team with 29 tackles and added a sack.

36.) Kavon Frazier, S -- Frazier worked into the mix as Dallas' fourth safety during his second season. He recorded 33 tackles in 15 games. Frazier was on the field for 37 defensive snaps his rookie season. He played 221 in 2017.

35.) L.P. Ladouceur, LS -- Always difficult to rank the long snapper. Ladouceur, who remains one of the best in the business, just finished his 13th season with the Cowboys.

34.) James Hanna, TE -- Hanna scored his first career touchdown in 2017. Although he only finished with four catches during the season, he started eight games and was a regular contributor in the running game.

33.) Benson Mayowa, DE -- In 14 games, the backup pass rusher finished with 21 tackles, one sack and three tackles for loss. Mayowa led the Cowboys in sacks in 2016 with six in 13 games.

32.) Taco Charlton, DE -- The first-round pick didn't make a huge impact during his rookie season, but he did improve as the year went along. He finished with 19 tackles, three sacks and seven quarterback hits. He has the ability to quickly climb into the top 20 if he continues to progress.

31.) Ryan Switzer, WR/KR/PR -- Switzer didn't have much of a role on offense, but he was among the NFL's top kickoff returners, averaging 25 yards per his 24 returns. He finished 12th in punt return average, which included an 83-yard touchdown return against Washington.

A whole lot of meh there. Switzer and Taco entering year two so both should make their biggest improvements. Ladouceur is automatic and can probably go a few more years. Everybody should feel free to freshen their resume. Had hopes for Wilson but I think they should draft at least two LBs this year.

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Maybe whoever the WR coach ends up being will push for Switzer to be more involved. Drop Dez on the sidelines and run a double set with Switzer and Beasley like we all want to see

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No first round pick should ever be 32nd best player on the roster and I dont disagree about this ranking. Players usually make their biggest jump between year 1 and 2 so if he is healthy and plays 75% of the snaps (something else that should happen, I would expect at least six sacks this year and a whole lot of pressure.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
12.) Anthony Hitchens, LB For the fourth consecutive year, Hitchens was among the top five on the team in tackles. He finished second in 2017 with 84 in 12 games. There's a good possibility that Hitchens could depart in free agency, which would be a significant blow to Dallas' defense

And another thing, a roster where Hitchens is your 12th best player, certainly does not scream a super talented roster to me. It screams average at best. IMO this is a player you should always be trying to upgrade from, not one you lament if he goes elsewhere in FA.

Last edited:

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No first round pick should ever be 32nd best player on the roster and I dont disagree about this ranking. Players usually make their biggest jump between year 1 and 2 so if he is healthy and plays 75% of the snaps (something else that should happen, I would expect at least six sacks this year and a whole lot of pressure.

ya but when you have all the time in the world to develop "the process" do you reeeeaaally need results in yr 1???

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And another thing, a roster where Hitchens is your 12th best player, certainly does not scream a super talented roster to me. It screams average at best. IMO this is a player you should always be trying to upgrade from, not one you lament if he goes elsewhere in FA.

They just released his ratings and he is ranked quite high for LB's league-wide (I think 20th) and he is the #1 free agent LB in terms of "run stop %"

He's an underrated player for sure IMO, he will likely get a pretty significant payday elsewhere but he is a quality player.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No first round pick should ever be 32nd best player on the roster and I dont disagree about e.

There are some teams where their 1st rd pick hardly played, where would those guys be ranked on those particular teams?

You always hope for immediate impact, but the fact is some players take a yr or two (or more sometimes) to really develop. Pass rushers are one of the positions that typically take time to truly make an impact as well.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They just released his ratings and he is ranked quite high for LB's league-wide (I think 20th) and he is the #1 free agent LB in terms of "run stop %"

He's an underrated player for sure IMO, he will likely get a pretty significant payday elsewhere but he is a quality player.

it does seem likely that he'll be w/ eberflus in indy

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
it does seem likely that he'll be w/ eberflus in indy

Would make sense for a lot of reasons. Former positon coach is the new DC, plus they have needs all over defense and a gazillion dollars in cap space.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
ya but when you have all the time in the world to develop "the process" do you reeeeaaally need results in yr 1???

I need more than I saw year one, and they obviously drafted for need, not necessarily BPA. I'll stick to the old adage you are what you are end of year three. However, biggest jump usually comes between year one and two, so this time next year we should have a really good idea of what he is.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

I am more interested in pass stop than run stop from LBers, and I dont like small players in general unless they are huge difference makers which I dont see in him.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if hitchens is eligible for netting dallas a comp pick, then by all means i hope he gets a fat ass contract to play somewhere else

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Top Bottom