Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chaz green looked good spot starting for smith then they moved him to lg and fucked him all up.

Jerry takes his risks, and in spite of that old fucking nutjob, dallas still manages to have some really solid players. The talent failures are not on draft day, they are on the other 362 days of the year

Get these young kids some mentors (sanchez, mincey, lee)

Get them in an environment that holds each other accountable (players all show up for meetings on time and do not mis curfew)

Someone have balls to control players on the sideline who everstep their bounds (dez, hardy)

Chaz Green was a third round pick who was supposed to play multiple positions on the line. That was his job. He was drafted to be a swing tackle. That's how this scouting department and personnel people identified him. He then gave us one of the most putrid OL performances any of us have seen in our lifetime. Somehow, Fred, Smith, Martin and Leary developed.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. All of it is true. But it's a myth we've drafted well. I think we may have gotten some solid players in 2017. But I expected better when McClay took over and I'm not impressed. Bottom line, our players rarely find success elsewhere after they leave Dallas, with the exception of DWare who left for other reasons. That should be very telling.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Newman
Amendola
That safety on the vikings
Demarco murray (to an extent)
Marty bennett
Carr and church (had better defenses)
Hatcher was good in wash

It happens

I always thought green was dubbed a tackle. Didnt think they would ever put him inside

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Newman
Amendola
That safety on the vikings
Demarco murray (to an extent)
Marty bennett
Carr and church (had better defenses)
Hatcher was good in wash

Newman got a second contract with us...Carr wasn't drafted by us and did you really mention Bennett? Waste of a draft pick and they should have known he was a headcase. I remember Hard Knocks episode and the war room is telling Jerry they'll have to keep their foot on Bennett's throat and Jerry still picked the idiot. And I'm not sure Hatcher was worth the money but, in any event, Hatcher and Newman were under the BP regime.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always thought green was dubbed a tackle. Didnt think they would ever put him inside

I thought so too. If I remember he was drafted to be the swing tackle but maybe he couldn't play tackle (surprise!!!) and they just tried to find a spot for him on the line?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Newman got a second contract with us...Carr wasn't drafted by us and did you really mention Bennett? Waste of a draft pick and they should have known he was a headcase. I remember Hard Knocks episode and the war room is telling Jerry they'll have to keep their foot on Bennett's throat and Jerry still picked the idiot. And I'm not sure Hatcher was worth the money but, in any event, Hatcher and Newman were under the BP regime.

And their version of keeping their foot on his idiot throat was Ginger's idiot brother - that hard knocks season made it very obvious players have no respect at all for any of the Garrett clan, Bennett was just tuning them all out and collecting the checks. But in other coaching regimes he legitimately worked and performed.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Longevity is a huge plus. I agree. I mention that because dbair reference a 5 year draft evaluation in an earlier post. Having said that, that's not a strong list if you're going to go back as far as 2103.

I'm quite sure you know the info I am referring to, but I will see if I can dig it up. Not sure if it was posted here at DCU but it was definitely in several threads at CZ.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We've not drafted well, regardless of where you folks put the blame.

Did you ever answer my question? Give me an example of a team YOU believe drafted well.

All you keep saying is we haven't, even though people who evaluate draft success have put it out there that we seem to have done pretty well over the past 5 years or so.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Chaz Green was a third round pick who was supposed to play multiple positions on the line. That was his job. He was drafted to be a swing tackle. That's how this scouting department and personnel people identified him. He then gave us one of the most putrid OL performances any of us have seen in our lifetime. Somehow, Fred, Smith, Martin and Leary developed.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. All of it is true. But it's a myth we've drafted well. I think we may have gotten some solid players in 2017. But I expected better when McClay took over and I'm not impressed. Bottom line, our players rarely find success elsewhere after they leave Dallas, with the exception of DWare who left for other reasons. That should be very telling.

Chaz Green also played LT for Tyron Smith in 2016, and played pretty well. He got nailed for 2 or 3 holding calls (one which was b/s) but I'm relatively sure in the two and half games he replaced Tyron, he didn't give up a sack.

Now what happened this year was inexcusable and he should have been cut the day after the game. IMO (and the opinion of many) the game he played vs Atlanta was 100% due to mailing it in and giving no effort whatsoever (something that was obvious by the time the last 1st quarter rolled around).

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Green played LT and RT at Florida. He was drafted to play swing T here, although the day he was drafted they said they thought he could also transition to G.

But the initial intent was backup T with the potential to eventually be the starting RT after Free was done.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
do the coaches know how to support the players and put them in position to succeed? absolutely not.

does the ownership help enforce accountability???? ehhhhhh no. more coddling and merchandise sales than anything else.

These two things are fair points and absolutely true.

If Jimmy Johnson were here coaching the exact same players we've drafted the past 5-10 yrs or so, the results would be dramatically different.

The biggest liabilities in the franchise are the head coach and the owner. It's not a lack of talent on the field.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

yes but newman left too soon. he still had many serviceable years left. zimmer knew that.

carr oops my bad youre right

you asked for talent. bennett has talent. head case? yes. put him in the right environment and he will produce. thats the coaches job to reel in the knuckle heads and get them to play on sunday. dallas is not equipped with such coaches/leaders.

dallas had their misses like everybody else, but had far more hits

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chaz Green also played LT for Tyron Smith in 2016, and played pretty well. He got nailed for 2 or 3 holding calls (one which was b/s) but I'm relatively sure in the two and half games he replaced Tyron, he didn't give up a sack.

Now what happened this year was inexcusable and he should have been cut the day after the game. IMO (and the opinion of many) the game he played vs Atlanta was 100% due to mailing it in and giving no effort whatsoever (something that was obvious by the time the last 1st quarter rolled around).

green played like a beast for tyron. do you remember how fast he got out of his stance??? it always looked like a false start. green had talent

but they

fucked

him

up

perhaps it was 50/50 due to nagging injuries and coaches trying to make him a guard

he was great under callahan but sucked under pollack. much like the rest of the o-line.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
dodge please come at us w/ a better drafting team

you might argue the steelers, chargers, packers, ravens, seahawks, and more recently the falcons...but i still feel like dallas has been better at drafting than all of them.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
2015 draft
1 Byron Jones- they still don’t know what to do with this kid. It’s three years later and they are still trying to figure out which position he should play
2 Randy Gregory- nothing to even say about this one. Total blown pick
3 Chaz Green- gave up a record breaking number of sacks in the ATL game last season making a scrub look like an all pro
4 Damien Wilson- average at best
5 Ryan Russel- who is he again?
6 Mark Nzeocha- he can barely make the team
7 Lawrence Gibson- who is this guy?
8 Geoff Swaim- 9 receptions for 96 yards on his career. I guess that’s not bad for a sixth rounder.

Now are all these bad picks? Or is it bad coaching that has caused them not to succeed?

You be the judge. Other that Gregory because that was a total blown pick and another waste of a second round pick. But Jeruh’s gotta be Jeruh

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you ever answer my question? Give me an example of a team YOU believe drafted well.

All you keep saying is we haven't, even though people who evaluate draft success have put it out there that we seem to have done pretty well over the past 5 years or so.

Who cares? What bearing does it have on us consistently failing with second round picks or better? Does it make you feel better that other teams suck as well? I don't give a hoot about other teams. And I do know what you're refering to. I did see something yesterday that we ranked somewhere in the high teens (top 15) in terms of drafting over the last 5 years but that was influenced in big part to the OL picks in the first that panned out.

But off the top of my head, the Seahawks had a good run which kept them competitive and put them in the SB. The 9ers did the same but they couldn't maintain it. I thought we drafted better under BP. We certainly had big misses, but drafting is as much about having a vision and a plan and putting that plan into action. I think the Steelers fit that category as well. They have an identity and draft accordingly.

In today's NFL, a good draft back to back and pay huge dividends. That's why I get so crazy when I see us play wildcatter with picks like Gregory and/or the Gimp. Throw in the Claiborne trade up that cost us a second and the DLaw trade up that cost us a 3rd, or Escobar or Bruce Carter (2nd round). We can go back further like 2009 (which may be one of the worst drafts in Cowboys history) and we'll see the same level of failure with premium picks. It's a pattern that continues to this day.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If Jimmy Johnson were here coaching the exact same players we've drafted the past 5-10 yrs or so, the results would be dramatically different.

The biggest liabilities in the franchise are the head coach and the owner. It's not a lack of talent on the field.

Absolutely not. Johnson doesn't trade 3 picks for RWII or not have one contributor from 2009 with a dozen or so picks. You keep telling yourself we have talent and we'll keep failing and you'll keep scratching your head as to why.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes but newman left too soon. he still had many serviceable years left. zimmer knew that.

carr oops my bad youre right

you asked for talent. bennett has talent. head case? yes. put him in the right environment and he will produce. thats the coaches job to reel in the knuckle heads and get them to play on sunday. dallas is not equipped with such coaches/leaders.

dallas had their misses like everybody else, but had far more hits

For all of Bennett's talents, he can't stay with one team for any length of time. There is no right environment for that kind of player, just like there's no right environment for a guy like Gregory. It's a waste of a pick.

I think a lot of these guys have "talent." But we have no idea how to build a team.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Now what happened this year was inexcusable and he should have been cut the day after the game.

And how do you reconcile that? He had talent in 2016 but not in 17? Chaz Green had question marks coming out of college. His failure on this team should not come as a surprise. The guy lacks heart and passion for the game. Those guys don't work hard enough to improve their craft. I wouldn't even give a shit about guys like Green, the Gimp, Escobar, Gregory, Wilcox, Claiborne or Bruce Carter. Except they cost us premium picks. These guys should be the foundation of this team. But instead, we're just hoping that the Gimp can play without a brace and change direction. Fuck that.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
dodge please come at us w/ a better drafting team

you might argue the steelers, chargers, packers, ravens, seahawks, and more recently the falcons...but i still feel like dallas has been better at drafting than all of them.

I mentioned a couple teams Cup. But again, I really don't give a shit. About the only thing we've done well is hit on O linemen in the 1st round consistently. I'll go furher...I'm starting to have my doubts about Zek and Dak although for drafting purposes, Dak was a 4th rounder. If he doesn't pan out long term, we took a chance with a mid round pick. I can live with that. But Zek is a fat, out of shape idiot. Red flags my man....red flags.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2015 draft
1 Byron Jones- they still don’t know what to do with this kid. It’s three years later and they are still trying to figure out which position he should play
2 Randy Gregory- nothing to even say about this one. Total blown pick
3 Chaz Green- gave up a record breaking number of sacks in the ATL game last season making a scrub look like an all pro
4 Damien Wilson- average at best
5 Ryan Russel- who is he again?
6 Mark Nzeocha- he can barely make the team
7 Lawrence Gibson- who is this guy?
8 Geoff Swaim- 9 receptions for 96 yards on his career. I guess that’s not bad for a sixth rounder.

Now are all these bad picks? Or is it bad coaching that has caused them not to succeed?

You be the judge. Other that Gregory because that was a total blown pick and another waste of a second round pick. But Jeruh’s gotta be Jeruh

Exactly Scott. I think they became enamored with Jones' athleticism. And for all that athleticism, he's had 2 picks. That's it.

Top Bottom