SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
The Johnny Manziel thing kinda proved he has been neutered somewhat on garbage like this.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up or trade down, but I have gotten pretty comfortable with how they are making decisions in regards to the draft.

I agree.
Just hope somebody is watching him. He might not be able to resist going rogue with the draft being in his building.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree

I can see him wanting to make a huge splash with the draft being in his stadium

I can very easily see him doing something beyond stupid!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree

I can see him wanting to make a huge splash with the draft being in his stadium

I can very easily see him doing something beyond stupid!

What would that be though?

There's a few players they could justify moving up in the draft for, that wouldn't be stupid.

They arnt drafting a QB.

Not really sure what else they could do that would qualify as "stupid"

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Johnny Manziel thing kinda proved he has been neutered somewhat on garbage like this.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up or trade down, but I have gotten pretty comfortable with how they are making decisions in regards to the draft.

Really? What is that based on? The fact that they didn't pick Manziel? This team has not drafted well. The fact that they avoided a nut case while drafting scrubs like Gregory or Escobar or Claiborne or the Gimp doesn't give them any fan brownie points.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really? What is that based on? The fact that they didn't pick Manziel? This team has not drafted well. The fact that they avoided a nut case while drafting scrubs like Gregory or Escobar or Claiborne or the Gimp doesn't give them any fan brownie points.

I don't know Dodger, when we see those draft evaluations over like 5 years or so we seem to rank pretty high.

Escobar was a horrible pick and I do believe drafting Jaylon Smith where we did was a mistake (although I am still hopeful he turns into something). Gregory was worth the risk where we drafted him. Claiborne was the #1 defensive player in that draft on a lot of teams boards and we traded up for what was relatively a bargain (although in hindsight, it was clearly a mistake to do it) but I could understand their thinking on doing it.

Whether you want to admit it or not, they have done a fairly solid job of drafting better players. They arnt signing free agents to win games and they sure arnt winning games because of Clapper's exceptional sideline skills.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So....,,, whos it gonna be ???

If available who do you want:
Wynn
Hernandez
Landry
Hurst
Payne
Vander esch
Rashad evans
Dj moore
Hughes
Alexander (cb lousville)

?????

As of now, I think dallas should grab hernandez or landry

Payne is very interesting but i think theres better interior dline depth than edge. And landry is similar in size and put up combine #s similar to d ware. Why not take that risk at edge?
Safe pick is hernandez.

Im not sold on vander esch

I dont like going receiver rnd 1 unless we had romo or a more capable passer

Some of these giant tight ends are so tempting but dallas just simply has no clue how to use them

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So....,,, whos it gonna be ???

If available who do you want:
Wynn
Hernandez
Landry
Hurst
Payne
Vander esch
Rashad evans
Dj moore
Hughes
Alexander (cb lousville)

?????

As of now, I think dallas should grab hernandez or landry

Payne is very interesting but i think theres better interior dline depth than edge. And landry is similar in size and put up combine #s similar to d ware. Why not take that risk at edge?
Safe pick is hernandez.

Im not sold on vander esch

I dont like going receiver rnd 1 unless we had romo or a more capable passer

Some of these giant tight ends are so tempting but dallas just simply has no clue how to use them

I'd probably try to trade down under your scenario, although Payne is very intriguing and DT could be a huge need depending on what happens with Irving and our free agency situation.

Hurst may end up undrafted now after the heart diagnosis thing.

As for TE, the difference now is that Witten is clearly nowhere near his prime anymore. Assuming they draft one early, it's a guy that will replace Witten at some point soon.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Per Archer:

The Cowboys have picks Nos. 19, 50, 81, 116, 137, 171, 173, 193, 208, 236 in Rounds 1-7.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And the Cowboys will screw up picks 19,50,81,116,193,208 and 236

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know Dodger, when we see those draft evaluations over like 5 years or so we seem to rank pretty high.

I don't need a ranking to know we have not drafted well outside of first round OL. It's simply a myth.

They arnt signing free agents to win games and they sure arnt winning games because of Clapper's exceptional sideline skills.

I'm tired of all this winning we're doing.......

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't need a ranking to know we have not drafted well outside of first round OL. It's simply a myth.

Drafted starters:

Offense- Prescott, Dez, T Williams, Witten, T Smith, T Fred, Martin, Zeke
Defense- Lawrence, Collins, Crawford, Lee, J Smith, D Wilson Awuzie, Lewis, B Jones

L Collins, Beasley & Heath were UDFA's

Several good/decent role players are backups, guys like X Woods, A Brown, Taco (likely a starter this yr after preseason), Switzer almost assuredly takes Beasley's spot this year. Swaim and Hanna are decent depth/role players that were late rd picks.

9 of the above named starters have been probowlers. This seems like decent drafting to me.

I'm tired of all this winning we're doing.......

Hey, they did go 12-4 and 13-3 recently. If the drafting was awful, they'd be 4-12 every year. It sure aint coming from free agents we're signing or great coaching.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drafted starters:

Offense- Prescott, Dez, T Williams, Witten, T Smith, T Fred, Martin, Zeke
Defense- Lawrence, Collins, Crawford, Lee, J Smith, D Wilson Awuzie, Lewis, B Jones

L Collins, Beasley & Heath were UDFA's

Several good/decent role players are backups, guys like X Woods, A Brown, Taco (likely a starter this yr after preseason), Switzer almost assuredly takes Beasley's spot this year. Swaim and Hanna are decent depth/role players that were late rd picks.

9 of the above named starters have been probowlers. This seems like decent drafting to me.

Hey, they did go 12-4 and 13-3 recently. If the drafting was awful, they'd be 4-12 every year. It sure aint coming from free agents we're signing or great coaching.

Did you really just include Lee, T Smith and Witten in your list? I mean, how far back do you have to go to pull draft picks to prove your incorrect point? 15 years?

And what have Crawford, Jones and the Gimp done....? I think we fans sometimes tend to over value our players. If you look at our drafts and the wasted second round picks and the misses on Day 2 where we could/should add depth, it's not hard to understand how we lose a player on the OL and the line collapses or we lose Lee and the D tanks. Are we even watching the same team David?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you really just include Lee, T Smith and Witten in your list? I mean, how far back do you have to go to pull draft picks to prove your incorrect point? 15 years?

And what have Crawford, Jones and the Gimp done....? I think we fans sometimes tend to over value our players. If you look at our drafts and the wasted second round picks and the misses on Day 2 where we could/should add depth, it's not hard to understand how we lose a player on the OL and the line collapses or we lose Lee and the D tanks. Are we even watching the same team David?

also attribute some of that to dallas...:

- sitting out free agency almost every year to fill holes

- no trades for impact players

- playcalling

- lack of leadership top to bottom

also why is it a knock that he mentioned lee, tyron and witten? longevity should be a HUGE plus to the players you draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Did we draft those players or not?

Crawford is overpaid, there is no question. But he's been a starter for a number of years and plays at a decent level. Jones has been a starter, up and down level of play and not the playmaking FS everyone hoped he would be, but he has been a decent starter. "Gimp" did start games and will likely be a starter in 2017.

Not every player drafted is going to be an all pro or even a high end player. Every team has to be able to fill a certain amount of spots with "quality" or at least "respectable" starters.

Just for argument sake, give me an example of a team you think has drafted well.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

They haven't sat out completely, they chose to sign low cost guys and some of those guys did end up filling roles or even becoming starters.

no trades for impact players

Does every team trade for "impact" players?

- playcalling

But how does either of these have anything to do with drafting good or not? Especially the 1st one.

also why is it a knock that he mentioned lee, tyron and witten? longevity should be a HUGE plus to the players you draft.

Thank you

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

- no trades for impact players

- playcalling

Longevity is a huge plus. I agree. I mention that because dbair reference a 5 year draft evaluation in an earlier post. Having said that, that's not a strong list if you're going to go back as far as 2103.

I also agree with your other points. Having said that, I still don't believe we've drafted well and that includes recent drafts. Do you?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They haven't sat out completely, they chose to sign low cost guys and some of those guys did end up filling roles or even becoming starters.

its like theyve gotten completely gun shy since carr. why havent we ever signed a decent tight end??? why not shore up the o-line with a swing tackle thats worth a shit? we keep bringing in these fucking run-down linebackers...gachar, durant, ROLONDO MCCLAIN?

Does every team trade for "impact" players?

no dbair but bare w/ me i just want earl thomas in 2018

- playcalling

How does either of these have anything to do with drafting good or not? Especially the 1st one.

ok

compare dallas draft to patriots drafts. the pats suck dick at drafting but somehow they get the job done. thats all im saying with playcalling. but no, lets fuck w/ byron jones and not keep him at cb. lets take 3 yrs to teach jj wilcox how to take the proper angle. thats kinda tied in w/ self-evaluation within your system. but when your head coach doesnt know x's and o's i can see how that is a problem.

leadership.
dallas (for a while now) has seemed like a team with a lot of individuals, no leaders. if there were leaders, i feel like we'd be in a better position for these guys to transition into the pro's. someone to help guide idiots like zeke and dez. and dez is actually suppoed to be a "leader". he's probably more of a distraction

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Longevity is a huge plus. I agree. I mention that because dbair reference a 5 year draft evaluation in an earlier post. Having said that, that's not a strong list if you're going to go back as far as 2103.

I also agree with your other points. Having said that, I still don't believe we've drafted well and that includes recent drafts. Do you?

yes, dallas knows how to draft very well.

do the coaches know how to support the players and put them in position to succeed? absolutely not.

does the ownership help enforce accountability???? ehhhhhh no. more coddling and merchandise sales than anything else.

Top Bottom