theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The tight end position isn't the Dallas Cowboys' biggest area of need. Nor will it be the first position the Cowboys address with the 19th overall pick. That selection could be a wide receiver, or maybe a defensive tackle.

But Jason Witten isn't getting any younger, and the Cowboys need to look to the future after him.

In doing so, the Cowboys would be well-served to look to a player who is quite similar to Witten himself.

That's the comparison some have drawn with Stanford's Dalton Schultz. The 6'6", 242-pounder isn't the athletic field-stretcher that so many NFL teams covet nowadays. He averaged less than 10 yards a catch in 2017 and had just 22 receptions for the Cardinal.

But like Witten, Schultz is a dependable underneath target who wins on short routes with strength, size and route-running. More importantly, Schultz is far and away the best "Y" tight end in this year's class—like Witten, he's terrific in the run game.

I'm sure if asked, Bryce Love would gladly offer a letter of recommendation.

Would Schultz be a "sizzle" pick? No—even if he shows better than expected in drills at the combine. Schultz isn't the kind of tight end who's going to rack up huge yardage totals or gaudy touchdown numbers.

He is, however, a fantastic fit for what Dallas does offensively, and he'd be a great Day 2 pick as Witten's understudy and heir apparent.

The Perfect Prospect at the Scouting Combine for Every NFL Team | Bleacher Report

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wr would be a nice luxury right now

But i think they go “dak-friendly” and take a guard or go defense

Or trade down

BigD

Spectator
Reaction score

Or trade down

Those would be my preferences. Moore had a great combine though.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Or trade down

I like Moore but I dont see them taking him. I feel 90% defense front 7 at 19 or 10% an OL they love who unexpectedly drops.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
According to teams, Leighton Vander Esch has been crushing interviews and continues to impress people. After weighing in at 256 pounds and completing 20 reps on the bench, the Boise State linebacker is hoping to run under 4.7 in the 40-yard dash. Truth be told, anything at or below 4.75 would be a great time. I’ve been told the Green Bay Packers are very high on Vander Esch and that he won’t get past the Pittsburgh Steelers in Round 1.

Combine Notes: Day 5 | Draft Analyst

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
According to teams, Leighton Vander Esch has been crushing interviews and continues to impress people. After weighing in at 256 pounds and completing 20 reps on the bench, the Boise State linebacker is hoping to run under 4.7 in the 40-yard dash. Truth be told, anything at or below 4.75 would be a great time. I’ve been told the Green Bay Packers are very high on Vander Esch and that he won’t get past the Pittsburgh Steelers in Round 1.

Yep, could be a real option for us if they can't resign Hitchens. Same thing for Edmunds from Va Tech.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Say hello to our 2nd round pick.

Tremendous player. Can play G or C.

The injury is being described as a "partial tear" and not considered serious. If he somehow fell in our laps in the 2nd and we haven't taken an OL in the 1st, I would be really happy to get him.

Reaction score
The Vanderbilt LB Burke is a much better prospect.

Reaction score
This is a deep draft at all position excluding WR. If it had top WRs that were not 2nd round talents then the Cowboys could come away with 3 starters on Defense, and 2 on offense out of this draft. However because of the lack of WRs, there will be a run at other positions.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is a deep draft at all position excluding WR. If it had top WRs that were not 2nd round talents then the Cowboys could come away with 3 starters on Defense, and 2 on offense out of this draft. However because of the lack of WRs, there will be a run at other positions.

I really wont be surprised if we use free agency for the WR position. Two names to watch would be Sammy Watkins and Donte Moncrief , they have both spoken highly of our new WR coach (they both played for him)

I think its 50/50 whether Dez might be gone and I bet they trade or release Cole Beasley too. Brice Butler is a free agent and probably wont be back either. If they sign a vet free agent or two, maybe they wait till the mid to later rounds to address WR.

Noah Brown and Ryan Switzer (esp Switzer) could have greatly expanded roles in 2018.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I like him but I don't think he gets drafted anywhere near Vander Esch

Vander Esch killed it his SR year. 140+ tackles, 9 TFL's, 4 sacks, 3 ints, 5 passes defensed and 4 forced fumbles

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced JJ will want to play wildcatter at the draft. Whether it be some wild ass high risk pick, or giving away the farm trading up.
I hope I'm wrong.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced JJ will want to play wildcatter at the draft. Whether it be some wild ass high risk pick, or giving away the farm trading up.
I hope I'm wrong.

The Johnny Manziel thing kinda proved he has been neutered somewhat on garbage like this.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up or trade down, but I have gotten pretty comfortable with how they are making decisions in regards to the draft.

Top Bottom