BigD

Spectator
Reaction score
Vea is my favorite player for us in the draft. Hope he makes it to 19.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Vea is my favorite player for us in the draft. Hope he makes it to 19.

He would be a great get. But he will be gone long before we pick.

And welcome to the boards!

BigD

Spectator
Reaction score

And welcome to the boards!

Im afraid you're right. I would be willing to trade our 1st and forth to move up to say 15, if he's still around. Ive seen a few mocks with him going to SD who picks 17th. Thanks for the welcome! Love the Boys!

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don’t know what the actual conversion as far as value per pick is

But I’d rather give up a 5th instead of our extra fourth. Especially since we have two extra 5th rounders now because of the compensatory picks

BigD

Spectator
Reaction score

But I’d rather give up a 5th instead of our extra fourth. Especially since we have two extra 5th rounders now because of the compensatory picks

Yeah, Im not positive either but our comp 4th is at the end of the round, so its essentially a 5th. We haven't had a great 1T in years, I really believe Vea would make a huge difference to our D. Makes the life of our LBs so much easier and would allow Collins to move back to the 3T where he can eat and not have to see anymore double teams.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Vea or Payne would make a big difference. Tim Settle in the 2nd is another guy I'd love to see here. The guy I absolutely dont want in the 1st is the guy from UTSA. He'd be the perfect candidate for the annual blown 2nd rounder though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

He's probably going to go somewhere in the teens, so I'm not sure that qualifies as "long gone before we pick"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

We only have those two 5th rounders now, we traded this years 5th away to get the extra pick (6th rd I believe) last yr that we used on Xavier Woods.

We have two 4ths, two 5ths and two 6ths now. 10 picks total.

BigD

Spectator
Reaction score

Their stance on 1T and it appears Safeties, is just baffling. If Vea makes it to 19 and we pass, Im going to freak lol.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Their stance on 1T and it appears Safeties, is just baffling. If Vea makes it to 19 and we pass, Im going to freak lol.

Prepare to freak. You obviously over look the prime category of future jersey sales.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The FO doesn’t value the 1T, safeties, head coaches, pass rushers....

If it doesn’t outsell the rest of the league in jerseys then it is of no value to the Dallas fucking Cowboys!

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, because that strategy has been working out splendidly

I'm not opposed to upgrading talent at any position, but teams are right to prioritize positions based on the importance to the scheme. A guy that's a great run stopper but offers little as a pass rusher isn't much value any more because teams pas the ball 60-70% of the time it seems, which means a guy that isn't very good as a pass rusher is only on the field 1 out of 3 plays at best. The premium is on guys who are disruptors, players that can get into the backfield quickly and close on the QB.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Vita Vea, defensive tackle, Washington: He might not be around when the Cowboys pick at No. 19, but he could change the way the Cowboys think about a nose tackle. He is big (6-4, 344) and can clog the run lanes, but he is a terrific athlete as well with some pass-rush ability. The Cowboys have simply "gotten by" at nose tackle since Rod Marinelli has come on board, but Vea would be an upgrade on the interior.

Anthony Miller, wide receiver Memphis: After entering the program as a walk-on, he finished his career with 31 touchdowns in his final two seasons. He is a big-play threat, and the Cowboys' offense needs big-play threats even if Bryant remains. Miller had six games with more than 140 yards receiving. He can track the ball, has the ability to adjust and has good awareness. Perhaps he could be an option in the second round, but he could have the type of combine that boosts his stock.

Derwin James, safety, Florida State: The Cowboys are looking at moving Byron Jones back to cornerback in 2018, which opens up a spot at safety. James has the skills to be a starter from day one after leaving Florida State early. He missed most of 2016 with a knee injury, so there might be some medical concerns, but he has enough to warrant an early pick. He easily could go before the Cowboys select in the first round, but the Cowboys need to find out everything there is to know about James.

Plenty of positions Cowboys will focus on at combine - Dallas Cowboys Blog- ESPN

BigD

Spectator
Reaction score
Vita Vea, defensive tackle, Washington: He might not be around when the Cowboys pick at No. 19, but he could change the way the Cowboys think about a nose tackle. He is big (6-4, 344) and can clog the run lanes, but he is a terrific athlete as well with some pass-rush ability. The Cowboys have simply "gotten by" at nose tackle since Rod Marinelli has come on board, but Vea would be an upgrade on the interior.

Anthony Miller, wide receiver Memphis: After entering the program as a walk-on, he finished his career with 31 touchdowns in his final two seasons. He is a big-play threat, and the Cowboys' offense needs big-play threats even if Bryant remains. Miller had six games with more than 140 yards receiving. He can track the ball, has the ability to adjust and has good awareness. Perhaps he could be an option in the second round, but he could have the type of combine that boosts his stock.

Derwin James, safety, Florida State: The Cowboys are looking at moving Byron Jones back to cornerback in 2018, which opens up a spot at safety. James has the skills to be a starter from day one after leaving Florida State early. He missed most of 2016 with a knee injury, so there might be some medical concerns, but he has enough to warrant an early pick. He easily could go before the Cowboys select in the first round, but the Cowboys need to find out everything there is to know about James.

Plenty of positions Cowboys will focus on at combine - Dallas Cowboys Blog- ESPN

Two of the three would be a great pick. No thanks at a WR in the 1st. Will be some stud WRs available in the 2nd and maybe even the 3rd round.

Top Bottom