dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
does derwin james have the coverage skills required?? he keeps getting the kam chancellor comps. seems like dallas might not be looking at his skill set.

Lindy's Draft Guide for Derwin James:

NFL Comparison: Cowboys Hall of Famer Mel Renfro- Scouts are enamored with james upside in large part due to his prototypical size, sheer athleticism, and playmaking instincts. Renfro used a similar blend of traits to earn 10 Pro Bowl trips, showing the kind of position versatility (safety, CB, kickoff and punt returner) James demonstrated with the Seminioles

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Lindy's Draft Guide for Derwin James:

NFL Comparison: Cowboys Hall of Famer Mel Renfro- Scouts are enamored with james upside in large part due to his prototypical size, sheer athleticism, and playmaking instincts. Renfro used a similar blend of traits to earn 10 Pro Bowl trips, showing the kind of position versatility (safety, CB, kickoff and punt returner) James demonstrated with the Seminioles

I see this as a major stretch. To me Mel was a play making corner, got a lot of picks. I dont see corner in James future. How old is the person writing this? Did they actually see Renfro play?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I see this as a major stretch. To me Mel was a play making corner, got a lot of picks. I dont see corner in James future. How old is the person writing this? Did they actually see Renfro play?

Have no idea, just thought it was interesting they went back that far to find someone to compare too. Granted not all their comps always make sense, but it was interesting to me that they chose to go back that far.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Broaddus saying today he believes Leighton Vander Esch will be the pick at 19.

Won't hurt my feelings, seems like ideal MLB for us and as I have alluded to a few times this offseason I could see Marinelli seeing a lot of similarities between Edmunds/Vander Esch and his former MLB in Chicago Brian Urlacher.

Edmunds is 12th on Kiper's latest big board, LVE is 21st

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
wow i havent heard much at all connecting the cowboys to LVE

have they met w him? workout?

i think hes from texas

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

i think hes from texas

We like Boise St guys.

All the official visits haven't been announced yet, but I bet he ends up on the list.

Also read we had a private workout set up for DT Nathan Shephard from Ft Hays St. VERY interesting small school prospect who tore up the all star games before breaking his hand or wrist. He could be a 2nd or 3rd rd pick.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score

i think hes from texas

We like Boise St guys.

All the official visits haven't been announced yet, but I bet he ends up on the list.

Pro Day March 21: Georgia, USC & Boston College | Draft Analyst

Staying with the Dallas Cowboys, we initially reported Boise State linebacker Leighton Vander Esch as being a target for the team during our Senior Bowl coverage. The junior is set to work out for Dallas next week and will be making an official predraft visit to see the Cowboys.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
2018 NFL Draft Prospect Visits Tracked by Team

Dallas Cowboys

Brandon Bean, WR, Grand Valley State (PRO)
Austin Corbett, OT/C, Nevada (WOR)
DeShon Elliott, S, Texas (PRI)
Leighton Vander Esch^, ILB, Boise State (PRI, WOR)
Kylie Fitts, DE/3-4OLB, Utah (SR)
Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa (PRI)
Davon Grayson, WR, East Carolina (WOR)
Will Hernandez, G, UTEP (PRI)
Nyheim Hines^, RB, N.C. State (PRI, WOR)
Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina (COM)
Dewey Jarvis, DE, Howard (SR)
Josey Jewell, OLB/ILB, Iowa (COM)
T.J. McCollum, OLB, Purdue (PRO)
Tarvarus McFadden, CB, Florida State (COM)
Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA (PRI)
D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland (COM)
Dante Pettis, WR, Washington (PRO)
Darius Phillips, CB, Western Michigan (SR)
Calvin Ridley^, WR, Alabama (COM, PRI)
Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State (PRO)
Jaylen Samuels, RB, N.C. State (PRO)
Vyncint Smith, WR, Limestone (WOR)
Josh Sweat, DE/3-4OLB, Florida State (COM)
Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa (SR)
Cedric Wilson, WR, Boise State (SR)
Isaiah Wynn, OT/G/C, Georgia (COM)

SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC - Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
PRI - Private visit. Prospect making an official 30 visit.
WOR - Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM - Some Type of Meeting.
% - indicates more than one meeting at an event.
^ - has met with team at more than one event.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the Senior Bowl or the East-West Shrine Game

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I really hate dumbasses like this at CZ. Starts another thread proclaiming Cowboys have no interest in Vita Vea because "they were not one of 20 teams at Washington's pro day"

First, Vea didn't even workout: UW Pro Day: Seahawks present, Vea, Pettis decline workouts - seattlepi.com

Second:
Dane Brugler‏Verified account @dpbrugler · 16h16 hours ago

WR Dante Pettis (ankle) didn't work out at today's Pro Day, but the #Cowboys and #Colts hung around to meet with him (via @RobRang)

Here's stupid fuck's thread on this:

For those hoping the Cowboys pick Vita Vea, the Cowboys were NOT among the 20 teams at the University of Washington Pro Day Workout.

The Cowboys have been working out DT prospects rated as 3rd round picks and later, such as Nathan Shepherd and P.J. Hall

I really wish one of you would post this in that thread there.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Vea is my hope at 19 but doubt he gets there. Think there is actually a good chance they would take him if he did.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Pick: LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama

Previous Selection: OG Isaiah Wynn, Georgia

Defense, defense, defense. That's how the Cowboys' draft board should read with a wide receiver and offensive guard sprinkled in along the way. With pick No. 19 overall, Jerry Jones and Co. can address a number of positions, but I keep hearing they're connected to linebacker.

Rashaan Evans can do it all—NFL clubs have asked him to play outside linebacker or edge-rusher. In Dallas, he's a natural to replace departed free agent Anthony Hitchens and adds youth and speed to a defense that's being rebuilt well through the draft.

2018 NFL Mock Draft: Matt Miller's Latest Predictions with 1 Month Remaining | Bleacher Report

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Vea is my hope at 19 but doubt he gets there. Think there is actually a good chance they would take him if he did.

I'm on the fence about him a little. I haven't seen him play enough, but is he a really good football player or he just a uniquely large man that moves around fairly well? He played the same position and is similar in many ways to the guy the Browns over-drafted a few years back, Danny Shelton. Shelton's college stats were actually better than Vea's as well.

If he's a good player or can learn the right techniques of the position to maximize his size/athletic skill, then I'm for him. But if he is just the usual obsession that Cowboy fans have with fat guys clogging up the middle, then I'd rather see us draft other people.

Top Bottom