English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
From Pauline's column today. I dont want LVE or WR at 19 and Vea will be gone so I guess I'll be unhappy Thursday night. And I really dont want a trade up for any of the three. Wasnt that 6-0 smashing of Philly wonderful.

In that scenario why not take a QB? QB's don't really lose draft capital, and it's not like we're stacked with talent at the position anyway.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In that scenario why not take a QB? QB's don't really lose draft capital, and it's not like we're stacked with talent at the position anyway.

I would absolutely take a flyer on Luke Falk in the 4th. Some team is going to draft this guy and develop him. Not saying he'll be anything, but taking a 4th round flyer on this guy would be a sound investment.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would absolutely take a flyer on Luke Falk in the 4th. Some team is going to draft this guy and develop him. Not saying he'll be anything, but taking a 4th round flyer on this guy would be a sound investment.

not a cooper rush believer ???

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
not a cooper rush believer ???

Nothing to do with Cooper Rush although it does drive me crazy when we keep trying to find these diamond in the rough guys. I want my back-up to be a potential starter, not some lab experiment trying to hit a home-run with an UFA. Romo and Warner are the anomalies and certainly not the norm. At the very least, you can groom him and get picks for him down the road.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
1. RB Saquon Barkley: "Best combination of talent and person I've seen in a long time. I spent [a lot of time] around him, and he has true star potential."

2. QB Lamar Jackson: "Far more accurate a quarterback than people think. Had some whiteboard trouble [diagramming plays] with us, but he's smart, a leader and, of all the guys in the league, he reminds me most of Aaron Rodgers. I think that's how he'll play."

3. DE Bradley Chubb: "The best athlete in this draft. By far."

4. DB Minkah Fitzpatrick: "His versatility is his best quality. I can put him almost anywhere on the field. Maybe the smartest player I interviewed."

5. QB Josh Allen: "Not as raw as people think. He's a quick learner with a really strong arm. When we look back, the two best quarterbacks from this draft will be [Jackson] and Allen."

6. QB Sam Darnold: "Probably the safest player in the draft. Good player but won't be great. Did well in our interviews with him."

7. DT Vita Vea: "It's rare to see a guy his size (6'4", 347 pounds) not just move as fast as he does but [do so] with such athleticism. The problem is he eats a lot. He could be 400 pounds in two years."

8. OT Mike McGlinchey: "I see him as the offensive line [equivalent] of [Lamar] Jackson. There's so much raw potential and some work that needs to be done. Early in his career, he's going to get beat a lot on the edge. Then he'll settle in."

9. CB Josh Jackson: "The most underrated player in this draft. Very smart, and of all the DBs in this draft, he's the most instinctive."

10. QB Josh Rosen: "Probably the player I'm least certain of when I try to gauge his future. It could go either way. He could be a huge star or a huge bust. I don't think there will be a middle road."

There are a few notable absences from this scout's top 10. One is Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson.

"Good player, but he's a mauler," said the scout. "There's nothing particularly special about maulers."

And why doesn't Baker Mayfield make his top 10?

"He's not a top-10 player. It's that simple."

This draft is going to be fun

Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: A Reality Check on the Top Players in the Draft | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well, this uh time of the year, uh, is uh, uh, uh great, uh, uh, time to take the kinds of interest thats out here in this draft, could’ve ever believed that it would evolve, the draft, uh, into where it is today about its uh, visibility and just uh interest and the many different story lines or many different aspects of it. Well, we’re in every minute of it we're not only are getting to be the locale, uh, Dallas, Texas, uh of what we think and believe about our, the way we think of football in this area but the Cowboys, we're sitting here as a tremendous player on this uh stage and then we’re getting to be involved as, uh, some of the main, uh characters that are involved in it so all of it just, uh, speaks to, uh, uh , a great way to, uh, if you will, uh, talk or, or, uh, participate in what NFL football has become and it has become the combine or the senior bowl, it has become in the spring and it has become, if you will, the draft, now then to incorporate a stadium, which is a first and to incorporate our stadium and have it have that kind of stage along with it, uh, this is, uh, quite a show and uh, with a lot of interest and by the way some pretty meaningful things going on called really building these NFL teams through the draft so that’s a mouthful but, uh, I, its, uh, we take this as a very, uh, uh, uh, uh, triumph, if you will for, uh our stadium, AT&T stadium, the Cowboys and our organization to, uh, get to have that draft here, its important, no, its not the super bowl, uh, but it is a part of what makes, really in its own way, the super bowl special, the build up

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
A little over six hours left until we get to open our new Christmas presents

I hope uncle Jeruh gets us something good to play with this year

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It looks like the Earl Thomas talks with the Cowboys are back on. The Seahawks dropped their first round pick to a second round pick and something else (unspecified at this time)
247Sports
The Cowboys stipulated that an extension would have to be resolved prior to any deal being considered

The way I look at it is our second round picks have been Jeruh’s gambling picks for the last few years anyway. We might as well get a sure thing in ET instead of taking a chance on a drug addict or injured pick that may never pan out.

I originally didn’t want anything to do with this trade when it was a first round pick in consideration. But now that it’s a second and probably a late rounder it’s at least something I’d consider now. ET would go a long way to helping our defense out immediately

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It looks like Josh Allen is this years Laremy Tunsil

There is talk now that one of the teams later in the draft did the research to find the racist tweets so they could Laremy Tunsil him on draft day so he would drop to them. The team was not specified

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It looks like Josh Allen is this years Laremy Tunsil

There is talk now that one of the teams later in the draft did the research to find the racist tweets so they could Laremy Tunsil him on draft day so he would drop to them. The team was not specified

Wouldn't be shocking. Someone had to be having a very specific purpose for it to come out at this point and time. That's a good a reason as any.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet · 9m9 minutes ago

A couple of players who seem set to be picked higher than expected: #Maryland WR DJ Moore, #UTSA pass-rusher Marcus Davenport, and #Louisville CB Jaire Alexander. … Hot names.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Anybody else tired of hearing "it feel like a dream come true?"

Like a bunch of parrots

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It looks like the Earl Thomas talks with the Cowboys are back on. The Seahawks dropped their first round pick to a second round pick and something else (unspecified at this time)

They're going to want Jeff Heath, aren't they?

Reaction score
Cowboys Draft 101 B. A. P. O. N. with Value

I tried to watch the matriculation of articulation by Jerry Jones in his press conference regarding drafting a player lower on the draft board vs. a player higher on the board (he still does not get it).

As I do every year, I will remind you what I learned after +30 years seriously following the draft and evaluating prospects. B.A.P.O.N. (Best Available Player Of Need).

If you look at the Cowboys needs, they are as I rank it S (starter/upgrade), K (starter/upgrade - people are forgetting about this position), OT (upgrade/depth/possible starter), OG (upgrade/depth/possible starter), FB (upgrade/depth/possible starter), CB (upgrade/depth/possible starter), DE (Contracts - (upgrade/depth/possible starter), C (depth/possible starter), MLB (depth/possible starter), OLB (loss Ware/Spencer - depth/possible starter), and WR (speed play-maker - depth/possible starter). After your draft board is completed (by position, player, and round) you let the BAPON guide you as your positions of need are ranked.

Example - if Quentin Nelson OL ranked 5-15 in the 1st round falls to 20 and all your +20 rank players are gone but a WR with a 1st round grade 25-29 is available you inquire to trade up for Nelson as he is the BAPON with value. If he is at 27 you draft Nelson and pass on the WR. If Nelson is gone and you have multiple WR ranked (25-32) still on the board you trade down to stockpile picks for BAPON.

Brief Dallas Draft History with BAPON

Tex/Brandt used BAPON well from the Cowboys first pick (Bob Lilly) up until Landry was more involved in the draft in the 80's, and Gil Brandt put too much premium on physical traits (length of arm, how fast the LB ran backwards, etc) instead of football play-making. Then, 1987 Tex/Brandt/Ackles brought back playing football as the number one physical trait. From 1988 the BAPON reign supreme.

Jimmy Johnson/Bob Ackles used this to perfection in the 1989 (stuck with BAPON trading down to land ), 1990 (trade up for BAPON value), 1991 (trade up and down BAPON), 1992 (BAPON), and 1993 (excellent BAPON with use of 2nd round picks) drafts.

Jones/Lacewell was a joke with only 2 BAPON value picks (Larry Allen, Flozell Adams OL - keep this in mind if you think Jerry will draft an OL at 27 this year), passing on all world BAPON value (Randy Moss WR), and from 1994 to 2002 it was a draft mess up after mess up.

Jones/Tuna/Ireland use it well 2003 (BAPON), and trade down 2004 for a great 2005 draft, and mixed review 2006 draft. However sometimes Jones/Ireland would get stuck on a player (see Isaiah Stanback WR) or Tuna/Ireland (see Jacob Rodgers OL) with bad results. But overall this was a vast improvement over the late 90's and early 2000 and BAPON gave us Jones, Witten, James, Ware, Barber, etc.

Jones/Coskowski was mixed review in 2007 but the trade down and BAPON was used extremely well in the 1st round of the 2008 draft. They did not use it in the 2009 draft which is too early (looks bad reminiscent of the 1995 draft). However know with McClay in charge it looks like BAPON is in full effect.

The questions for the "perfect 10" ranked a player (answers are ranked 1 to 10 with 1 being the best)
1. Is he a football player?
2. Is he a great athlete and football player?
3. Does he have play-making ability/skills for the position (natural/not taught)?
4. Can he learn and execute what was learned quickly?
5. Does the player have +speed for the position?
6. Does the player have +strength for the position?
7. Is he a character playing football or a football player with character?
8. Is he considered a leader on the field?
9. Does he love mental demands of football (game study/tape/film reviews)?
10. Does he love the physical demands of football (trains and plays hurt)?

So rank them, sort them, analyze your needs, draft the BAPON, and if you can get the BAPON with value your are going to have a great draft.

This is Cowboys Draft 101.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just saw Michael Irvin on the draft show out in front of the stadium and he was looking a little skinny and his suit looked loose on him.

He usually pretty well put together and lookin sharp (albeit a little weird combos sometimes) but he almost looked sick or something, like he’s lost a lot of weight

Did he finally catch aids from one of da hoes?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I absolutely love that Rich Eisen is continuously calling the stadium the Jones Mahal!!

You know that’s gotta piss ole Jeruh off

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Broncos attempting to jump to #2!

I love that trade

The last thing I want is to have to face Sequan Barkley twice a year for the next 5 seasons on the NYG

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Welcome to the start of the 2018 NFL Draft!

Good luck fuckers, lets hope the Jones do something good for the team this season. Hopefully Jeruh doesn’t try to outsmart himself and make some crazy ass trade up and over pay for the wrong player

I’m going to have me a New Belgium Glutiny Pale Ale (or six) and enjoy the draft

Last edited:
Top Bottom