icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mailbag: Addressing The Pass Rush? Importance of Retaining Will McClay | Dallas Cowboys

Mailbag: Addressing The Pass Rush? Importance of Retaining Will McClay
Friday, January 12, 2018 10:53 AM CST

JAMES JORDAN
CONVERSE, TX

Why would Will McClay turn down the opportunity to become a GM with the Houston Texans when he is currently below the GM (Jerry Jones) here in Dallas? Was Will promised more personnel decision-making authority (similar to a GM) if he stayed in Dallas?

Bryan: I asked Will why he stayed. He said it wasn’t the right time or the right fit. I promise he’ll have his day in the sun. This organization is fortunate to have him on staff. Loyalty is a big thing for him.

Rob: The Cowboys have given McClay more influence in personnel matters in recent years, particularly with regard to the draft. I think it’s a comfortable situation for him. He’s been with the organization over 15 years, his family is here, and he’s highly motivated to help bring a championship back to Dallas. He doesn’t have the official general manager title, but his role working with the front office is important and the Cowboys certainly value what he brings.

CALLUM IMRIE
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, ENGLAND

Do you think pass rush needs addressing? I know we came off a good season, but take away D-Law's sacks and it's looking fairly tepid. Next year with Taco still improving, D-Law hopefully tagged, Crawford solid and steady, Gregory is a bonus if he comes back but not in the picture, Tapper will he be here made no impact in two years? I don't think edge rush should be overlooked in the draft or free agency.

Bryan: You never turn your back on pass rushers regardless how many you already have. There aren’t as many pass rushers in this draft as there were last season so finding that help won’t be as easy.

Rob: The Cowboys did tally 38 sacks this season, their best total since 2011. But I don’t think pass rush should ever be overlooked, and that’s assuming Lawrence will be back with either a new deal or the franchise tag. It’s a position where you can simply never have enough talent. Based on the team’s philosophy for several years, I don’t see big money spent on anyone but Lawrence. So the question might be, how early do they target more help there in the draft – and is it a bigger need than, say, offensive line or linebacker?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
CALLUM IMRIE
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, ENGLAND

Do you think pass rush needs addressing? I know we came off a good season, but take away D-Law's sacks and it's looking fairly tepid. Next year with Taco still improving, D-Law hopefully tagged, Crawford solid and steady, Gregory is a bonus if he comes back but not in the picture, Tapper will he be here made no impact in two years? I don't think edge rush should be overlooked in the draft or free agency.

this question kinda pissed me off because of tyrone crawford. solid and steady is not what you wanna get from a dude making the money he's making. you need p-r-o-d-u-c-t-i-o-n. this alone is one of the main reasons i want dallas to go D-LINE in the draft. take whatever fat bastard is available. vea, bryan, payne, wilkins, whoever. if you really like one of the pass rushers instead, grab em.

in 2018, for the first time since he resigned, crawford's can be cut without hurting dallas's cap. get his ass the fuck outta here or restructure or something please. i'm not a cap-ologist, but i read somewhere (trying to find it) that dallas would open up like $2 million on the cap by cutting crawford.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
this question kinda pissed me off because of tyrone crawford. solid and steady is not what you wanna get from a dude making the money he's making. you need p-r-o-d-u-c-t-i-o-n. this alone is one of the main reasons i want dallas to go D-LINE in the draft. take whatever fat bastard is available. vea, bryan, payne, wilkins, whoever. if you really like one of the pass rushers instead, grab em.

in 2018, for the first time since he resigned, crawford's can be cut without hurting dallas's cap. get his ass the fuck outta here or restructure or something please. i'm not a cap-ologist, but i read somewhere (trying to find it) that dallas would open up like $2 million on the cap by cutting crawford.

He's got 7.3 million in dead cap that has to be absorbed regardless. June 1st cut allows them to spread that out over 2 years vs one year

His base salary for 2018/19 are 6 million & 7 million respectively or a total cap hit, if kept each year, of 9.1 and 10.1 million per year

So I would imagine the almost 2 million dollar figure comes from cutting Crawford asap, absorbing the 7.3 dead cap hit in lieu of keeping him in 2018 for 9.1 million (plus keeping him leaves 4.3M left in dead money for 2019+)

9.1 Million
(7.3 million)
1.8 Million cap savings in 2018 with no dead money remaining

Source

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He's got 7.3 million in dead cap that has to be absorbed regardless. June 1st cut allows them to spread that out over 2 years vs one year

His base salary for 2018/19 are 6 million & 7 million respectively or a total cap hit, if kept each year, of 9.1 and 10.1 million per year

So I would imagine the almost 2 million dollar figure comes from cutting Crawford asap, absorbing the 7.3 dead cap hit in lieu of keeping him in 2018 for 9.1 million (plus keeping him leaves 4.3M left in dead money for 2019+)

9.1 Million
(7.3 million)
1.8 Million cap savings in 2018 with no dead money remaining

Source

atta boy yim

Top Bottom