dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys legends on Prescott: 'He'll be fine'

Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach talked about their successor Dak Prescott today, and had an overarching theme -- Cowboys fans need to chill.

Mike Leslie, WFAA Sports , WFAA 7:20 AM. CST January 12, 2018

As much as many Dallas Cowboys fans want to lose their minds over Dak Prescott's 2017 season, it's important to remember, it is the NFL. Virtually no one has a great year, every year.

"I went through it my first season, was 0-11 as a starter," former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman said. "We were 1-15."

"I remember in 1974, they were booing me," fellow former Cowboys QB Roger Staubach said. "In the later years, it made me realize how hard winning in this league was," Aikman added.

We talked with Cowboys legends Aikman and Staubach on Thursday about the guy who is doing their old job now. Boil it down, their thoughts on Dak Prescott basically amount to "Cowboys fans need to chill."

"I wouldn't be surprised if he's out somewhere throwing footballs right now, or watching film, or doing something that's gonna make himself better," Aikman said.

Oh, and there's another thing -- it isn't all on the quarterback. "I think that most everyone in that organization," Aikman said. "From top to bottom, could look themselves in the mirror and say they've got to do a better job for this team to improve."

Prescott has sought out advice from his predecessors. "He was asking me 'How's it feel getting old?' And what's it like getting injuries," Staubach joked.

But both Staubach and Aikman believe Prescott's got the goods.

"The key thing that a quarterback has to do is transfer that confidence to your teammates," Staubach said. "And Dak's got that skill."

"What they had last year was really special, and you've got to take advantage of those years," Aikman said. "This year was tough. But they've got to put in a little more time and effort. And I'm sure that they will. There will be a sense of urgency for them."

In short: "He'll be fine," Aikman said.

So, chill.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Cowboys legends on Prescott: 'He'll be fine'

Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach talked about their successor Dak Prescott today, and had an overarching theme -- Cowboys fans need to chill.

Mike Leslie, WFAA Sports , WFAA 7:20 AM. CST January 12, 2018

As much as many Dallas Cowboys fans want to lose their minds over Dak Prescott's 2017 season, it's important to remember, it is the NFL. Virtually no one has a great year, every year.

"I went through it my first season, was 0-11 as a starter," former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman said. "We were 1-15."

"I remember in 1974, they were booing me," fellow former Cowboys QB Roger Staubach said. "In the later years, it made me realize how hard winning in this league was," Aikman added.

We talked with Cowboys legends Aikman and Staubach on Thursday about the guy who is doing their old job now. Boil it down, their thoughts on Dak Prescott basically amount to "Cowboys fans need to chill."

"I wouldn't be surprised if he's out somewhere throwing footballs right now, or watching film, or doing something that's gonna make himself better," Aikman said.

Oh, and there's another thing -- it isn't all on the quarterback. "I think that most everyone in that organization," Aikman said. "From top to bottom, could look themselves in the mirror and say they've got to do a better job for this team to improve."

Prescott has sought out advice from his predecessors. "He was asking me 'How's it feel getting old?' And what's it like getting injuries," Staubach joked.

But both Staubach and Aikman believe Prescott's got the goods.

"The key thing that a quarterback has to do is transfer that confidence to your teammates," Staubach said. "And Dak's got that skill."

"What they had last year was really special, and you've got to take advantage of those years," Aikman said. "This year was tough. But they've got to put in a little more time and effort. And I'm sure that they will. There will be a sense of urgency for them."

In short: "He'll be fine," Aikman said.

So, chill.

Like this is supposed to convince us. They probably would say the same about Steve Pelluer. I am still hopeful/ pulling for him but the jury is out. If somebody they think is better is there at 19, run to the podium.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Finally some honesty. Espescially at the top.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Finally some honesty. Espescially at the top.

I know, I don't know why that organization is so afraid of the truth, thats one of the many things I loved about Jimmy, no bullshit. Parcels was great too, but he had some BS but I liked it

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hope they're right. Next year is year 3. He needs to improve. I still think that Atlanta game hurt his confidence. I blame that on the coaches.

foolforspeed

Spectator
Reaction score
I hope they're right. Next year is year 3. He needs to improve. I still think that Atlanta game hurt his confidence. I blame that on the coaches.
What needs to improve is OL play. With little to no run game and no protection defenses have battered Dak all year. Even Aaron Rodgers couldn't hold up to that kind of punishment.
Hopefully Tyron Smith will stay healthy cause Ginger has no answer for a replacement. You can't find one in the bargain bin at the FA counter. Stephen Jones always gets what he pays for.......rejects!

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I know, I don't know why that organization is so afraid of the truth, thats one of the many things I loved about Jimmy, no bullshit. Parcels was great too, but he had some BS but I liked it

Parcells entertained us fans with his BS for the media. He played them almost as well as Trump plays the libtards and mainstream media.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I cannot give any credence to this. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for both Staubach and Aikman, but what they fail to mention --- a most glaring ommission, that they had Landry and Johnson, respectively. Dak has Garrett. Dak is doomed.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Like this is supposed to convince us. They probably would say the same about Steve Pelluer. I am still hopeful/ pulling for him but the jury is out. If somebody they think is better is there at 19, run to the podium.

And what good will that do? Garrett will still be the HC. And then after that, you'll be saying the same thing. Sorry but I see no QB that can consistanly overcome Garretyt's incompetence. "Beat the man in front of you" is not an offensive philosophy nor a strategy. It's just a way to cover his own ass.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I cannot give any credence to this. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for both Staubach and Aikman, but what they fail to mention --- a most glaring ommission, that they had Landry and Johnson, respectively. Dak has Garrett. Dak is doomed.

You never hear either one of them talk about "great coaching" in Dallas anymore.

I can't remember the last time I heard it from either of them.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You never hear either one of them talk about "great coaching" in Dallas anymore.

I can't remember the last time I heard it from either of them.

Same here. It's very telling. They do not bash the coaching outright. But by not mentioning the coaching in either aspect, I think they are being very diplomatic.

This is as stern a rebuke Aikman is going to give.

Reaction score
Everyone is so PC these days..... WTF?

Even Garrett throws players and coaches under the bus at times..... Time to do the same from ex Cowboys.....

If they want change and pride in their team, say what you mean.... You guys already have the golden jacket. Stop beating the bush and trash a punk or two..... Hell mushroom slap a coach or owner. Anything to get a rise out of the clapper and his owner.....

Reaction score
Dak seems to be a good person. I tell my players all the time, good things happen to good people . I know it's not always the case, but it's good to think it is.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Everyone is so PC these days..... WTF?

Even Garrett throws players and coaches under the bus at times..... Time to do the same from ex Cowboys.....

If they want change and pride in their team, say what you mean.... You guys already have the golden jacket. Stop beating the bush and trash a punk or two..... Hell mushroom slap a coach or owner. Anything to get a rise out of the clapper and his owner.....

I dont think Staubach is wired that way. He'll be 76 this year and ex military. Yeah he knows Jerry is bumbling billionaire idiot who is totally out of touch but he probably doesnt want the aggravation of the shit storm that Cowboy royalty would cause by pointing out Jerry is the plague. As for Aikman he knows disaster when he sees it but he probably has to keep up the appearance of impartiality due to his Fox gig. Believe me they know he is a joke and has run it into the ground but tip toe around it much like dog shit on a white rug.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What is very telling about how Aikman feels about Garrett now is what he doesn't say- he literally never talks about him.

Now go back in time to the mid to late 90's, one of the biggest Garrett fans was Aikman, who called him "another coach on the field" because of his knowledge of offenses and defenses. Ernie Zampese and Chan Gailey were both extremely complimentary of Garrett in terms of his knowledge of offenses and defenses as well.

Fast forward to today, and you see Aikman make no comments about him. Proof of "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all"

I bet if you could get him off the record with no chance of anyone hearing his thoughts, he'd say without question Garrett is one of the worst, if not the worst HC in the league.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I bet if you could get him off the record with no chance of anyone hearing his thoughts
And maybe after a coupla shots of Crown Royal... He'd also be saying "those fucktards" instead of "that organization."

Top Bottom