dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He puts up a lot of good stuff on NFLN, thought some of this was interesting because it mentions changes to the offense coming and some of this I hadn't heard from any of the local Dallas writers (no surprise, they are useless for the most part).

At the end you can see what he thinks of Dez Bryant's game too (hint, replaced)

I wonder if Prescott is giving them more direction on what he wants in/out of the offense.

Dak Prescott has tons of potential; Norv Turner's perfect for Cam

By Bucky Brooks
NFL.com Analyst
Published: Jan. 11, 2018 at 08:29 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 11, 2018 at 11:18 p.m.

Former NFL player and scout Bucky Brooks knows the ins and outs of this league, providing keen insight in his notebook. The topics of this edition include:
-- A mega matchup between the best WR and CB duos in the biz.
-- An emerging head-coaching candidate from Atlanta.
-- Why Norv Turner's a brilliant hire for the Panthers.
But first, a look at why Dak Prescott is still a franchise quarterback despite Year 2 struggles ...
Is Dak Prescott really a franchise quarterback?

That's the question that was running rampant in Dallas after his second pro season. But I don't understand why it's been debated on the airwaves and in barbershops around the country. Sure, he took a step back without his RB1 and franchise tackle on the field for an extended period, but I don't know if his struggles were enough to dismiss his chances of becoming an elite quarterback.

Let's be real. Prescott posted a 62.9 percent completion rate, a 22:13 touchdown-to-interception ratio and an 86.6 passer rating for a 9-7 squad that underperformed amid Super Bowl expectations. While those numbers are far from spectacular, they are better than production posted by Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, Marcus Mariota, Eli Manning and some other established passers.

That's why I completely understand Cowboys' executive vice president of personnel Stephen Jones' desire to rebuild the team's scheme around Prescott's game.

"Everybody here is all in in terms of their belief that Dak can be a great player in this league and will be," he said on 105.3 The Fan's Ben and Skin show (KRLD-FM). "How do we put concepts in place, how do we put a system in place that fits his skills? Obviously, it worked out great even though we were predominately running a [Tony] Romo-friendly offense with a few wrinkles that took advantage of Dak being young and fresh-legged and being able to have the mobility that he had.

"We were able to do that, but I think as we move forward, we have to really go in and critique and make sure that our concepts and what we're doing offensively give Dak every opportunity to utilize his skill set and get the most out of him."
Think about that. Prescott put up historic numbers as a rookie in an offense that wasn't designed for him, and he followed it up with a solid campaign in a system that still wasn't revamped to fit his game. Imagine how good he could be if the Cowboys built something around the strong points of his game as a dual-threat playmaker who spent his collegiate years running an up-tempo spread offense at Mississippi State.

Remember, Prescott is one of only four players in FBS history and the second player in the Southeastern Conference to throw for 70 touchdowns and rush for 40 in a career. That's the kind of production that should entice a team to fully utilize his skills as a runner-passer on the perimeter. Not that Prescott should be used as a run-first playmaker, but he certainly should be put in an offense that fully takes advantage of his athleticism and playmaking ability inside and outside of the pocket.

Thus, it is sensible for the Cowboys to explore building an offense that better suits Prescott's skills. During his first two seasons, he has been at his best when executing play-action passes with Ezekiel Elliott as a decoy or operating from spread formations (empty or one-back), with No. 4 in the shotgun. These are concepts that are comfortable for Prescott and some of the other Cowboys' stars (Elliott). Most importantly, they have the pieces in place to open up the offense while retaining a ball-control premise that allowed the team to win with a strong running game and a solid defense.

"I feel like they've rebuilt the team like the 1990s teams with the dominant offensive line and an efficient quarterback," said an NFC pro personnel director. "I'm not saying he is Troy Aikman, but if you check their numbers and look at their games, they play the same way. They take care of the football over everything else, and when the team is built the right way, they'll win."

Now, I'm not ready to anoint Prescott a future Hall of Famer, but I do believe he could regain his Pro Bowl form in an offense that should be better when the team adds a true No. 1 receiver and another playmaker in the passing game. While he must continue to make strides as a passer, as evidenced by his nine interceptions over his past seven games (it's not a coincidence that Elliott missed five of those games), he is still a promising quarterback with the potential to help the Cowboys make a run at the title.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
"I feel like they've rebuilt the team like the 1990s teams with the dominant offensive line and an efficient quarterback," said an NFC pro personnel director. "I'm not saying he is Troy Aikman, but if you check their numbers and look at their games, they play the same way. They take care of the football over everything else, and when the team is built the right way, they'll win."
That personnel director is a moron. Dak even at his very best is nowhere near as good a passer as Aikman. GMAFB.

In fact, that NFC personnel director was probably Stephen. He's probably the only person who would make that comparison.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Ginger Jesus will get Dak squared away, what with taking pictures next to successful coaches and all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That personnel director is a moron. Dak even at his very best is nowhere near as good a passer as Aikman. GMAFB.

In fact, that NFC personnel director was probably Stephen. He's probably the only person who would make that comparison.

No question he doesn't have anywhere near the passing ability talent Aikman had, few ever have.

I think he meant more from a standpoint of leadership and taking care of the football.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No question he doesn't have anywhere near the passing ability talent Aikman had, few ever have.

I think he meant more from a standpoint of leadership and taking care of the football.

He "takes care of the football" because he dink and dunks his way to a 60 plus percent completion percentage and he struggled to get 100 passing yards before halftime. The offense looked completely inept with him under center this season. Other than that, he's been a good QB and an Aikman clone.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
After the KC game, yeah. Before that don't agree.

The red flags were there to open the season against NY and then Denver. Hey, remember when the altitude affected our team? Good times.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The red flags were there to open the season against NY and then Denver. Hey, remember when the altitude affected our team? Good times.

The whole team played bad in Denver, not just Prescott.

Zeke got what, 8 yds on 8 carries? Total team failure at every level that week.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
The whole team played bad in Denver, not just Prescott.

Zeke got what, 8 yds on 8 carries? Total team failure at every level that week.

Staple of a Garrett team. Often so unprepared for an opponent they may as well not even dress and play the game and risk injuries. How can an NFL team be so unprepared so often?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Staple of a Garrett team. Often so unprepared for an opponent they may as well not even dress and play the game and risk injuries. How can an NFL team be so unprepared so often?

7 1/2 years of this garbage and the Owner/GM doesn't get it.

As others have said, at this point with this clod as HC all we can hope for is to have elite talent everywhere, because Garrett isn't going to coach marginal-average guys up enough to win games.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
7 1/2 years of this garbage and the Owner/GM doesn't get it

He gets it

He just doesn’t care. He’s in the business of selling jerseys and other merch. He is Not in the business of winning football games.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
7 1/2 years of this garbage and the Owner/GM doesn't get it.

As others have said, at this point with this clod as HC all we can hope for is to have elite talent everywhere, because Garrett isn't going to coach marginal-average guys up enough to win games.

Garrett standing around watching Chaz Green get abused by a JAG D-lineman.
Stupid and arrogant at the same time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Garrett standing around watching Chaz Green get abused by a JAG D-lineman.
Stupid and arrogant at the same time.

They had to be shocked at that though, when he played LT last season for Tyron Smith he played pretty well, I don't think he gave up a sack in the 2 1/2 games he played there.

That said, it was readily apparent after the 1st qtr of the Atlanta game that Green wasn't giving any effort whatsoever. He should have been benched immediately and then cut the next day. You cant show a young team film of that game the next day and then preach about the virtues of "accountability" and "playing with high effort" and still have that guy on the roster afterward.

maxdogg

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If Dak has any chance of success in the league the percentage of that chance goes way down with the clowns coaching and managing this team.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He should have been benched immediately and then cut the next day.

yet he remains on the roster.....this brings me back to the days of Jimmy who would cut guys like this without hesitation (nor interference from jeri) but for some reason this really upset jeri, he seems loathe to play hard ball with any of the players and I don't understand his aversion to it

Chaz should be a distant memory by now, I don't see how you win with guys this fragile mentally and I think there's a good chance his injury history is a reflection of that fragility

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
They had to be shocked at that though, when he played LT last season for Tyron Smith he played pretty well, I don't think he gave up a sack in the 2 1/2 games he played there.

That said, it was readily apparent after the 1st qtr of the Atlanta game that Green wasn't giving any effort whatsoever. He should have been benched immediately and then cut the next day. You cant show a young team film of that game the next day and then preach about the virtues of "accountability" and "playing with high effort" and still have that guy on the roster afterward.

Frankly, I was surprised as well. Green did well subbing for Smith last year. Difference of course, even had you or I been coaching, we would have done something about it.

Reaction score
yet he remains on the roster.....this brings me back to the days of Jimmy who would cut guys like this without hesitation (nor interference from jeri) but for some reason this really upset jeri, he seems loathe to play hard ball with any of the players and I don't understand his aversion to it

Chaz should be a distant memory by now, I don't see how you win with guys this fragile mentally and I think there's a good chance his injury history is a reflection of that fragility

Yep. Jimmy would have cut his backside 5 minutes after the game. No questions asked.

Top Bottom