Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It’s apparently official now. Gregory will be applying for reinstatement tomorrow (Thursday)

By all accounts it looks like he’s done what he needed to do to get reinstated and has passed a number of consecutive drug tests

Maybe he will be back in time for preseason.

“If” he gets reinstated he better show up to training camp in the best shape of his life and ready to kick some ass

His entire career consists of 14 games and 1 single sack since we drafted him in 2015. He better ball out! Otherwise it will have been 3 years totally wasted on this kid and another blown 2nd round pick

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

These are the requirements DE Randy Gregory must meet to be reinstated into NFL, rejoin Cowboys
By Kate Hairopoulos and Jori Epstein

GRAPEVINE - Randy Gregory will apply for reinstatement to the NFL this week, according to a source, with hopes that the defensive end's ban from the league could be removed in time for the start of Cowboys' training camp in late July in Southern California.

Gregory, Dallas' second-round draft pick in 2015, was kicked out of the league for repeated violations of the league's substance abuse policy. He hasn't played since the Cowboys' final regular season game of the 2016 season.

But there is a growing, yet ever-so-cautious optimism among team officials that Gregory could return for the 2018 season. A handful of teammates and several other acquaintances have already voiced their support for Gregory to the NFL.

"He's being very diligent in preparing his information and preparing his application," owner Jerry Jones said Wednesday from the team's annual golf tournament for sponsors at Cowboys Golf Club. "I have been proud of Randy during this offseason. I've been very aware of how hard he's working to get back in the league and get back on the field."

Cowboys defensive end Tyrone Crawford said Wednesday that he has put in his "two cents" with the league on behalf of Gregory. Linebacker Sean Lee and safety Jeff Heath also wrote statements, a source told SportsDay.

"It's best he's back in the locker room, he's back around us," Crawford said. "I think it will be good for him and good for us."

According to the NFL's policy on substance abuse, here are the steps Gregory or any other player must take in order to apply for reinstatement:

His application should include all pertinent information about his treatment, abstinence from substance abuse during his banishment period, incidents resulting from substance abuse and arrests/convictions for any criminal activity.

Once the application has been received by Commissioner Roger Goodell, Gregory will be interviewed by the established medical director and medical advisor within 45 days. Then a recommendation will be made to Goodell.

Gregory must give Goodell's staff and the staff of the NFL Players Association's executive director access to medical records on his substance abuse history. This includes attendance at counseling sessions, 12-step and other self-help group meetings.

Gregory will have to submit to urine testing by an NFL representative at a frequency determined by the medical advisor.

Gregory will have to agree in a meeting with Goodell or his representative to comply with certain conditions for reinstatement.

The policy is set up for Goodell to render a decision within 60 days of receiving an application, but that is based on all the required information being available in that time frame.

The Cowboys drafted Gregory knowing full well that they were taking a risk.

He tested positive for marijuana in February 2015 at the NFL Scouting Combine and entered the league in the first stage of its substance abuse program. He had twice tested positive for pot while playing for Nebraska.

Gregory checked into a treatment center during the summer of 2016, but left the facility for a weekend, sources said at the time, and missed a scheduled test. A missed test carries the same weight as a failed test once a player is in the NFL's program.

He opened the 2016 season with a four-game suspension and then had another 10-game penalty applied for another violation. He played the final two games of the regular season while an appeal was pending, but could not play in the postseason game.

In all, Gregory has totaled one sack in 14 games. He's failed or missed at least five drugs tests while a member of the Cowboys.

"First and foremost, we're more concerned with Randy fixing himself off the field," executive vice president Stephen Jones said Wednesday. "I applaud him. I think he's worked hard to get to this point that he can apply for reinstatement.

"...By no stretch are we just saying, 'Hey, we're going to bank on that.' We're still thinking about him and hoping he gets everything done the right way off the field. And then good things will happen for him."

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

Its absolutely crazy that Dee Smith and the players would allow it.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
this thread:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I was listening to some show on one of the sports radio shows on Sirius/XM yesterday, whoever it was they were interviewing was saying they thought Gregory would be reinstated in time for TC to start. Not sure who the guy was but it wasn't a voice I recognized.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
gregory meeting yesterday puts the nfl's decision deadline to late july/early august unless goodell feels like changing the deadline

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
This seems like a good time to remind everyone what a steaming pile of shit Roger Goodell is.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Whats the latest on Gregory? That would be 1 sack in the 14 games he actually managed to get on the field. I've seen some overhyped players before, but I dont think anybody topped Gregory.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Whats the latest on Gregory? That would be 1 sack in the 14 games he actually managed to get on the field. I've seen some overhyped players before, but I dont think anybody topped Gregory.

Dude he nearly broke his leg the first game he played. He was lucky he played any snaps that rookie season afterward.

In that 1st game vs NYG he was damn impressive and he was coming off an outstanding preseason. If not for the injury I suspect he'd have had a really impressive rookie year.

He also looked pretty good when he returned late in 2016.

It's fine to piss and moan about his issues with pot, but the kid does have legit talent on the football field.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's fine to piss and moan about his issues with pot, but the kid does have legit talent on the football field.
Yes and I showed you what he has accomplished in 14 games which is not much. At some point point legit talent has to translate to production and so far it hasnt. While I'll agree if he comes back and produces for example 4 sacks, then it is like found money. Problem is the past says it wont.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes and I showed you what he has accomplished in 14 games which is not much. At some point point legit talent has to translate to production and so far it hasnt. While I'll agree if he comes back and produces for example 4 sacks, then it is like found money. Problem is the past says it wont.

Yes, I'm sure the nearly broken leg as a rookie made no difference whatsoever.

Thought you were smarter than this amigo.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

The best ability is availability. Between injuries and suspensions his availability is wanting. And there's valid doubt about his availability going forward, since he's shown no ability to leave the weed alone or at the very least, manage his addiction enough to keep it from coming up in his UAs. The point made before about the overhyping of this guy is quite valid.

Doesn't mean his on-field talents are being questioned.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

The guy from the draft class that piques my interest is Armstrong. If he can become a rotation guy that is good for 5 or 6 sack a year that would be great and there is difference between him and Gregory besides the whole dope thing. Scouts feel Armstrong is a proficient run stopper if he is not getting to the QB, not ideal but it is something. If Gregory isnt getting to QB, he really isnt helping at all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The point made before about the overhyping of this guy is quite valid.

Other than some idiot zoners, who's "overhyping" him?

The only thing anyone really knows about him is he has explosive talent, was productive in college and had a really good 1st preseason.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Every other idiot.

You'd need to be more specific.

I don't know anyone who has. The main reason most people got excited about him was his draft rating (legit top-10 pick that we got at the end of the 2nd round)

That isn't "overhyping"

Top Bottom