Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I had no idea about the kidney stuff. Cool story about meeting him. Since he seemed disgusted with the team like us you should have gave him an invite here. Haha.

It was in a failed attempt to save Ron Springs. Cubby donated a kidney for his terminal diabetic friend.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Below is a picture of Harvey Martin with one of the kids in the neighborhood I grew up in. We lived right by the Cowboys practice facility on Forest Lane which is where this picture was taken. We'd hang out at the Pizza Inn, Long John Silvers or the Tom Thumb across the street, grab food and then go rummage through the trash for old jerseys, pads, etc.

We watched the practices from the balcony of the hotel looking onto the practice field and when they ran us off, we'd stand on egg crates and leer over the fence. We'd hang around after practice and talk to the players as they tried to get in their cars to go home, it was a blast.

I went to elementary school with Mel Renfros son, the Liscios, and several other players kids. I think this is why I'm so emotionally attached to the team. I'm no where near as invested in any other sports team, even my alma mater.

too tall.jpg

Look how low budget the facilities were back then:

Old Cowboys facilty on Forest Lane.jpg

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
The league is trying to hype these under valued games.

Backup QB's in one game and the Jags in the other.

The Super Bowl will have a backup QB from the NFC. Garrett cant even win any game with a backup QB and both NFC teams will have backups starting. LOL Garrett sux.

Bay10

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That he would give a kidney to anybody is amazing. The fact he gave a kidney to his teamate in the secondary is just unreal. Is Rod Springs still with us?

Reaction score
...lol Haley....that was a funny vid about Blake....I like when the lady ask him what he does the first thing in the morning when he wakes up....and he say "Take a piss.".....also I checked out the "Dragon Box" thingy...cost about $250 up to $600 one time fee ....no monthly fees. ..interesting......but how long will it be good for in the future!?..

Bay10

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Below is a picture of Harvey Martin with one of the kids in the neighborhood I grew up in. We lived right by the Cowboys practice facility on Forest Lane which is where this picture was taken. We'd hang out at the Pizza Inn, Long John Silvers or the Tom Thumb across the street, grab food and then go rummage through the trash for old jerseys, pads, etc.

We watched the practices from the balcony of the hotel looking onto the practice field and when they ran us off, we'd stand on egg crates and leer over the fence. We'd hang around after practice and talk to the players as they tried to get in their cars to go home, it was a blast.

I went to elementary school with Mel Renfros son, the Liscios, and several other players kids. I think this is why I'm so emotionally attached to the team. I'm no where near as invested in any other sports team, even my alma mater.

View attachment 3986

View attachment 3987

Cool shit. Must have been so freaking fun as a kid watching an nfl team practice.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

View attachment 3986

View attachment 3987

Thats a great Harvey Martin pic. Its a shame he never got the post career recognition he should have.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
That he would give a kidney to anybody is amazing. The fact he gave a kidney to his teamate in the secondary is just unreal. Is Rod Springs still with us?

Ron Springs was a fullback IIRC.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Is Rod Springs still with us?

unfortunately not, he didn't last long after he had the kidney transplant

Cool shit. Must have been so freaking fun as a kid watching an nfl team practice.

it was, I don't think we fully understood the magnitude of it all at the time but looking back on it, all of my friends have deep attachments to the team and we commiserate over our frustrations with jeri, et al

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

Ron was #20 and the fullback who forgot to go into the game and was the one who was supposed to get the ball on what wound up being Dorsett's 99 yard TD run at the Metrodome. Most people don't know Dallas had only 10 men on the field for that play. Springs was the one missing and Dorsett made the snap decision heads-up play to take that handoff instead.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Speaking of The Catch I was watching the Skip Bayless show two days ago and Everson Walls was on there talking about that play. Everson is a good man I could just tell. He had a funny story about all the people he's meet in his life that claim to have been in the audience in the end zone at Candlestick during that play. It was just funny the way he told it. He also so said he called up that rookie safety from the Saints that gave up the game winner vs the Vikings and tried to uplift him. He compared that play to the catch. He's just a good man.
Why are those plays being compared? The Saints player fucked up, whereas Everson did nothing wrong on The Catch. He played it perfectly, and was right there with Clark. It was just an great leaping catch, with the ball thrown to a place where Everson had no shot at it.

I'm so pissed off I'm gonna bring back my Everson avatar. It's the exact same Panini sticker I used to have in my high school locker, where your name tag was supposed to be.

Last edited:

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Thats a great Harvey Martin pic. Its a shame he never got the post career recognition he should have.
We know there is anti-Cowboy bias in HoF voting, so that explains that. But the fact that he has not been inducted into the Cowboys' RoH seems like a massive oversight on the club's behalf.

If ever you get the chance, read his autobiography Texas Thunder. His career did tail off quite badly, and he admitted as much. The last couple of years were a mess because his off-field life was falling apart (drugs, relationship problems).

I've got a shit load of old Cowboys related books stashed away in my attic somewhere. Used to buy them off this guy who imported them from the US (no Amazon back in those days). It's about time I brought them back out and read them again.

Reaction score

View attachment 3986

View attachment 3987

Martin was one of my favourites and the best pass rusher the club ever had and should be in both the HoF and the Cowboy RoH. Its a disgrace he isn't.

Last edited:

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Ron was #20 and the fullback who forgot to go into the game and was the one who was supposed to get the ball on what wound up being Dorsett's 99 yard TD run at the Metrodome. Most people don't know Dallas had only 10 men on the field for that play. Springs was the one missing and Dorsett made the snap decision heads-up play to take that handoff instead.
"99 yards and a half!"

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Why are those plays being compared? The Saints player fucked up, whereas Everson did nothing wrong on The Catch. He played it perfectly, and was right there with Clark. It was just an great leaping catch, with the ball thrown to a place where Everson had no shot at it.

I'm so pissed off I'm gonna bring back my Everson avatar. It's the exact same Panini sticker I used to have in my high school locker, where your name tag was supposed to be.

They are comparing them simply because they were both late game heart breaking plays at critical points in the game

Top Bottom