Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It appears that Will McClay turned down the Texans offer and is staying with the Cowboys

Why not? He gets paid good money and has a job for life with no accountability. It's job security. Just whisper in Jerry's ear every once in a while and give him some advice on personnel and you're all set.

Reaction score
Why not? He gets paid good money and has a job for life with no accountability. It's job security. Just whisper in Jerry's ear every once in a while and give him some advice on personnel and you're all set.

Yep, the Texans would expect results, and fire his ass when they don't materialize. That's not the case at the country club where Jerry has so much money he can just throw it away for nothing on his homies. McClay knows it. The Cowboys are a welfare organization now for previous loser coaches (Linehan, Marinelli, Campo, Wilson, etc), or guys who had no resume to speak of, and were clearly not qualified for the job they were handed (Garrett, Moore).

Shit show in full effect for next season. 7-9 or worse.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry could and should have the best coaches available. If he valued winning he would. But its all a big game for him. Get some mediocre coach and if they win he can pat himself on the back thinking he accomplished some great feat. Bring in Red and train him up. Have a Kellen Moore as QB coach and Jerry will think the rest of the world will admire his eye for talent if it works.

Meanwhile 22 years of crappy football and he's still playing his self contrived fantasy football game.

Would would any coach whose career is trending up, derail that by working for Jerry?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Would would any coach whose career is trending up, derail that by working for Jerry?

Its a lotta money and only so many opportunities come along. Most coaches have huge egos so the challenge of winning in Dallas would have some appeal.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

If that's all he really is though nobody would want him, and for the past few seasons there's been quite a few teams interested in him.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If that's all he really is though nobody would want him, and for the past few seasons there's been quite a few teams interested in him.

Why would he leave? He has a job with no accountability. Just don't go against Jerry like TC did and you're set for life in a well paying job with no accountability. And no one has wanted him or offered him a job. Right now, the Texans "may" want to interview him. I'm not overly enamored with anyone in our dysfunctional front office.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, the Texans would expect results, and fire his ass when they don't materialize. That's not the case at the country club where Jerry has so much money he can just throw it away for nothing on his homies. McClay knows it. The Cowboys are a welfare organization now for previous loser coaches (Linehan, Marinelli, Campo, Wilson, etc), or guys who had no resume to speak of, and were clearly not qualified for the job they were handed (Garrett, Moore).

Shit show in full effect for next season. 7-9 or worse.

100% spot on. Results for this franchise are based on money flow and income first and foremost. The Cowboys made money hand over fist and Jerry got to play GM. It's all good in his world.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Why would he leave? He has a job with no accountability. Just don't go against Jerry like TC did and you're set for life in a well paying job with no accountability. And no one has wanted him or offered him a job.

The Colts and another team reportedly wanted him and he removed himself from the process both times previously. There may have been another team as well, I'd have to do some digging on the interwebs.

Right now, the Texans "may" want to interview him.

Why would we grant permission for them to interview him if they didn't want to talk to him in the first place? Apparently there's no "may" want to interview him there.

I'm not overly enamored with anyone in our dysfunctional front office.

No argument from me there.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
How do we know these interview requests are even legit and not horse shit generated by the Dallas PR department?

I know its a conspiracy theory type of view but we were also told New England was gonna draft Jaylon Smith conveniently after Dallas drafted him which is total BS because Belichick is hush hush about virtually everything he does, so why release this info? What was the benefit to the Pats by releasing such info?

None that I can think of but it sure props up jeris annual gamble if word is out the Cowboys sniped the Patriots man

Some days I wonder if Rich Dalrymple has more influence over the GM than the guys who know football

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
How do we know these interview requests are even legit and not horse shit generated by the Dallas PR department?

I don't know if the Texans have commented on it publicly yet, but the other teams in the past did. McClay was definitely being considered by at least 1 or 2 other teams and I think there was a 3rd.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Reaction score
Jerry's coaching tree is:

Jason Garrett
Kellen Moore

I doubt we ever see any of Jerry's kids coach for any other franchise.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Norton and Del Rio are both 4-3 guys Dooms. I don't know that either has ever implemented a 3-4 anywhere they've coached.

And most recently in Oakland, they played a 4-3.
I've been wrong on stuff before and don't at all mind being corrected but let me explain how I come to my conclusions on these defensive coaches and their preferences.

First thing I look at is the team roster. 3-4 guys always have a lot more linebackers on the roster than they do defensive linemen. There's fewer linebackers in a 4-3 guy's roster. That's true of Oakland right now and for the last several years. It's a 3-4 but they use 4 guys with their hands on the turf, for first down and other obvious running downs. But it is 3-4 type personnel and it's 3 down linemen most of the time, you'll see it during games.

Would we all agree Wade Phillips is a 3-4 guy? Sure we would, but what's this shit of the Rams running a 4-3? In the starter intros on TV, sure enough they show 4 linemen starting, and only 3 linebackers. But that's because they always START that way, on 1st down! Wade is the consummate, confirmed, dedicated 3-4 guy and his Rams defense is a 3-4 and it is also personnelled that way too. He's got 10 linebackers and only 6 defensive linemen. Versus our 9 d-linemen and only 5 linebackers.

Next I look at the TYPE of players he has. Does he have traditional linebackers or does he have more of the hybrid, "stand-up defensive end" type?

I also look at the philosophy they've displayed and also through what they have said in the past.

I'm pretty sure Del Rio and Norton are 3-4 guys. Just like Wade is. But they all pretty much have 4 guys with their hands on the turf on presumed run downs, and they all have a lot more linebackers than d-linemen on the roster when they have their say in the matter.

Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope. We are hung up on his invisible resume. he has no coaching experience at all. Not at the pee wee level, not at pop warner, not at High School, not at college, and certainly not in the NFL. Why are the fucking Dallas Cowboys an entry level coaching organization?

Like I said, he wouldn't have been my choice either and I would have thought after seeing Prescott struggle mightily the 2nd half of the season that getting him a proven QB coach would be a priority.

But I don't think being a lousy player or having lousy talent has any impact whatsoever on whether the guy can or cannot coach.

Top Bottom