Reaction score
Well, for once I completely agree with Owens. He is smarter than l thought. He has some guts as well, a quality lacking in Garrett.

Reaction score
T.O. is right just like every other Cowboy player and other NFL players that have criticized the Crapper.

I have to tell you that boy in your avatar was one of my all time favourite Cowboys. Never got a fair shake in Dallas. Modern fans drool over Romo...Danny was a much more complete QB and got run out of Dallas. Madness.

Reaction score
I have to tell you that boy in your avatar was one of my all time favourite Cowboys. Never got a fair shake in Dallas. Modern fans drool over Romo...Danny was a much more complete QB and got run out of Dallas. Madness.

I loved Danny. It's a pity that modern Cowboy fans don't even know who he is. He's like the forgotten Cowboy. I always thought we had a chance when he was under center and he was big in the playoffs despite those championship losses. And he followed a legend. Romo had it much easier.

Reaction score
I loved Danny. It's a pity that modern Cowboy fans don't even know who he is. He's like the forgotten Cowboy. I always thought we had a chance when he was under center and he was big in the playoffs despite those championship losses. And he followed a legend. Romo had it much easier.
Yeah. There was a lot more to Danny than fans ever knew. I have watched interviews and documentaries with him in recent years and White was/is an articulate man with a great sense of humour. I always admired him and even more now. He was/is a great Cowboy.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Danny White was why I wore #11 all through the sports I played growing up

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

3rd greatest QB in NFL history. I’ll still never understand why he never got a job in the NFL as an OC. He’s more than qualified.

Reaction score
3rd greatest QB in NFL history. I’ll still never understand why he never got a job in the NFL as an OC. He’s more than qualified.

Are you referring to Danny White?? I could accept that he was the 3rd greatest QB in Cowboy history. Although, I was very fond of Meredith and Morton too. He certainly would have made a great OC if not a great HC. Certainly far more qualified than Garrett.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

Well... In the 83 draft Tex was trying to make a trade deal with Baltimore to send Danny and two unnamed starters there plus our 1st round pick that year, so we could draft Elway. This is from the personal notes of Elway's agent, who was told and wrote down that Landry was dissatisfied with White.

That deal got nowhere, but then we passed on Marino when he came up, to get Jeffcoat with our regular pick when it came up.

So clearly Tom had issues with Danny already after the 82 season.

Fast forward to 89 - Jimmy and Jerry re-did Danny's deal but with clear stated intention he wasn't going to be the guy going forward. They'd drafted Aikman and then took Walsh in the supplemental draft. Finally Jimmy had to tell Danny he didn't fit into our plans and Danny retired, and we let him keep the signing bonus on the new deal and also paid him the full amount of the new 1 year deal.

So he got more than a fair shake from Jimmy.

Tom wanted to move on from Danny, for whatever reason. Three NFCC losses in a row, two of which Danny didn't play particularly well and a third where he fumbled our last chance away after "the catch" might have been part of it. I don't know, but let's never pretend Danny didn't get a fair shake from Tom too.

Like Romo, Danny for whatever reason just didn't get the job done. And we wound up stuck with him far longer than we wanted.

I always respected him and enjoyed watching him, but he shit the bed at the worst possible times, much like Romo. But he got more than a fair shake in Dallas.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So clearly Tom had issues with Danny already after the 82 season.
I'll go out on a limb and say it was three NFC championship games and three losses. IMO the Philly loss and particularly Wash loss were in big part part due to not stopping the run. Generally speaking however I was not huge Danny White fan, of course following Staubach was never gonna be easy.

Top Bottom