Why not?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Jeff Swaim can retire and become our new TE coach

Hell it worked for Helen Moore at QB coach

And they have the same amount of coaching experience

Why not?

But does Swaim have those Garrett like qualities that will make him a star in this league?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jeff Swaim can retire and become our new TE coach

Hell it worked for Helen Moore at QB coach

And they have the same amount of coaching experience

Why not?

Swaim actually has more experience on the field.

Terrance mcclain

Spectator
Reaction score
Has marinelli retired yet?

Every day I hope i'll hear news that rod is retiring. I'm so tired of the moronic excuses homers come up with on why his defense is horrible.I'm also tired of watching opposing offenses run up the middle of the cowboys defense with ease. I'll never understand why homers have such a bizarre infatuation with rod.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Has matinelli retired yet?

Every day I hope i'll hear news that rod is retiring. I'm so tired of the moronic excuses homers come up with on why his defense is horrible.

Apparently he has committed to coaching in 2018. That said, the team gave up 62 pts in the last 5 games (and 7 of those were an int return for TD) and 280, 228, 293, 136 & 219 yds of offense in those games. 4 of those were without David Irving as well. Marinelli wouldn't seem to be the primary issue here.

Terrance mcclain

Spectator
Reaction score
I disagree. you have to consider the quality of
The offenses that rod faced in the last five games. The seahwaks were the highest ranked at 15th and basically their running game was none existent when they played the cowboys.they cowboys also faced a redskins team that was missing it's entire starting o line and played the eagles backups when they faced Philadelphia a second time.there were several games
Were the cowboys defense did horribly this season. In a two week span , the cowboys defense gave up over two hundred yards rushing to the eagles and four hundred yards passing to the chargers. This season the cowboys gave up over a hundred yards rushing with times and over a hundred and fifty yards rushing in four out of those right games. They gave up over a hundred yards rushing four tomes with both Lee and Irving playing . remember the cowboys gave up over a hundred yards rushing only once in 2016. Also the cowboys defense dropped from fifth in points allowed in 2016 to fourteenth this season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The offenses that rod faced in the last five games. The seahwaks were the highest ranked at 15th and basically their running game was none existent when they played the cowboys.they cowboys also faced a redskins team that was missing it's entire starting o line and played the eagles backups when they faced Philadelphia a second time.there were several games
Were the cowboys defense did horribly this season. In a two week span , the cowboys defense gave up over two hundred yards rushing to the eagles and four hundred yards passing to the chargers. This season the cowboys gave up over a hundred yards rushing with times and over a hundred and fifty yards rushing in four out of those right games. They gave up over a hundred yards rushing four tomes with both Lee and Irving playing . remember the cowboys gave up over a hundred yards rushing only once in 2016. Also the cowboys defense dropped from fifth in points allowed in 2016 to fourteenth this season.

The defense got better as the year wore on, sure the offenses those last 5 games were not great (although we did shut down Foles and Eagles starters when they were in the game, the playoff teams they faced didn't do that) but the results were still impressive. Nobody plays a schedule of 16 games vs top 5 offenses.

The young 1st/2nd yr DB's were definitely much better than the veterans they replaced by the end of this past season. Lawrence had a DPOY type season, Irving was dominant the 8 games he played in. lee was outstanding when he was healthy. Maliek Collins wasn't as good, but we learned he played virtually all yr on a foot injury he had to have surgery on after the season ended too.

Terrance mcclain

Spectator
Reaction score
The defense got better as the year wore on, sure the offenses those last 5 games were not great (although we did shut down Foles and Eagles starters when they were in the game, the playoff teams they faced didn't do that) but the results were still impressive. Nobody plays a schedule of 16 games vs top 5 offenses.

The young 1st/2nd yr DB's were definitely much better than the veterans they replaced by the end of this past season. Lawrence had a DPOY type season, Irving was dominant the 8 games he played in. lee was outstanding when he was healthy. Maliek Collins wasn't as good, but we learned he played virtually all yr on a foot injury he had to have surgery on after the season ended too.

Honestly I think the defense was average this season
And regressed in some areas, especially in run defense.the defense played better late in the season but that should negate the numerous bad performances the defense had earlier in the season.
I mentioned before the cowboys gave up over a hundred yards rushing several times when Sean Lee and David Irving were both playing.the eagles blew the cowboys out 37-9 in their first meeting. nick foles and the eagles offense struggled before they meet the cowboys in the season finale I believe he only played one half against the cowboys.. Chidobe awuzie played well at times but he also gave up three touchdowns during the limited time he was on the field, so its hard to access his performance . lawrence played weel at times but started slow down toward the end of the season.Byron Jones and Anthony brown both regressed this season. Collins played well during his rookie season but struggled in run defense both seasons.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
How the heck does someone decide to leave an NFL team for an "assistant" position at Austin freaking Peay? How bad has the culture at VR have to be? (Edit, it isn't VR anymore, but Cowboys place)

I gotta admit, I know nothing about this guy (didn't even know he was on our staff to begin with) but really?

Cowboys lose defensive assistant Turner West to Austin Peay
Posted by Charean Williams on February 13, 2018, 5:37 PM EST

Cowboys defensive assistant Turner West has left for an assistant’s job at Austin Peay, Todd Archer of ESPN reports.

The Cowboys hired West in 2014 to assist linebackers coach/defensive passing game coordinator Matt Eberflus. Eberflus left to become the Colts’ defensive coordinator.

West, 30, also has worked for Alabama-Birmingham, Samford and Middle Tennessee State. He was a wide receiver at Memphis.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't know it till I saw another thread on it, but Nussmeier worked for Linehan for a couple years.

Cowboys still interviewing for a tight ends coach
Posted by Charean Williams on February 13, 2018, 6:10 PM EST

The Cowboys remain without a tight ends coach.

Steve Looney retired after the season, creating the vacancy. Dallas interviewed Jason Michael, but he joined the Cardinals as their tight ends coach.

So the Cowboys continue to interview for the job.

Doug Nussmeier, who took a job as offensive analyst at LSU a few days ago, and Brian Pariani, an NFL assistant for all but two seasons since 1991, have talked to the Cowboys, according to Todd Archer of ESPN.

Nussmeier has served as offensive coordinator at Fresno State, Washington, Alabama, Michigan and Florida in his career. The Crimson Tide won a national championship while he was there. He was the Gators’ offensive coordinator the past three seasons.

Pariani has coached tight ends most of his career, including with the Texans (2006-13), Ravens (2014) and Broncos (1995-2004 and 2015-16).

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Has marinelli retired yet?

Every day I hope i'll hear news that rod is retiring. I'm so tired of the moronic excuses homers come up with on why his defense is horrible.I'm also tired of watching opposing offenses run up the middle of the cowboys defense with ease. I'll never understand why homers have such a bizarre infatuation with rod.

Me either. I've been saying he was overrated since like 2013.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys hire Doug Colman as assistant special teams coach
Posted by Charean Williams on February 14, 2018, 4:51 PM EST

The Cowboys have hired Doug Colman their assistant special teams coach, Todd Archer of ESPN reports. Colman will assist Keith O’Quinn, who was promoted to special teams coordinator when Rich Bisaccia left to join Jon Gruden’s staff in Oakland.

Colman, 44, most recently was with the Texans as a special teams and linebacker assistant.

He played 43 games in a five-year NFL career as a linebacker with the Giants, Titans and Browns, retiring after the 2000 season. He coached in high school and with the Amsterdam Admirals in NFL Europe before moving to the college ranks.

Colman coached at Nebraska, Tulane and Coastal Carolina before joining Bill O’Brien in Houston.

Colman was the second coach the Cowboys hired Wednesday, joining new tight ends coach Doug Nussmeier.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Terrance post at will. A little hard to read but factual and pretty well reasoned.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Last edited:
Top Bottom