dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
David Lee, might be the most overrated coach in Cowboy forum history.

Thought of like some sort of football God, yet never stays in one place very long and really doesn't have any proven track record of developing anyone.

But hey, Romo said he did some good things so Zoners be like, he great

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Thought of like some sort of football God, yet never stays in one place very long and really doesn't have any proven track record of developing anyone.

Well, I confess I fell for it too. I was intrigued by how much Romo improved his throwing but maybe that was all Romo

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, I confess I fell for it too. I was intrigued by how much Romo improved his throwing but maybe that was all Romo

I'm sure he helped otherwise Romo wouldn't have said so, I just find it comical that people think he's the sole reason Romo turned out ok.

If it was true Lee would have this extraordinary list of great QB's under him and almost ASSUREDLY wouldn't have had nearly 20 different coaching stops. He's had 7 different jobs just since leaving Dallas after the 2006 season.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm sure he helped otherwise Romo wouldn't have said so, I just find it comical that people think he's the sole reason Romo turned out ok.

If it was true Lee would have this extraordinary list of great QB's under him and almost ASSUREDLY wouldn't have had nearly 20 different coaching stops. He's had 7 different jobs just since leaving Dallas after the 2006 season.

Fair point. Personally, I didn't think it was all on Lee, I lean more toward Romo if the shit I read is true about dragging his friends outside until midnight to throw balls, drilling balls into the couch constantly, throwing at street lights, etc, etc. The thing I remember most about Lee being in Dallas is his semi complaining that Romo wore him out getting him to stay long after practice.

I wish I had saved a copy of the articles I read, I don't think I'm dreaming this stuff up

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer
Running backs coach Gary Brown is expected to return to the Cowboys, according to sources. He had interest from the Oakland Raiders and Houston Texans. Brown has been with the Cowboys since 2013 and helped DeMarco Murray and Ezekiel Elliott to earn Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors in 2013-14 and 2016. He also oversaw Daren McFadden's 1,089-yard season in 2015.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fair point. Personally, I didn't think it was all on Lee, I lean more toward Romo if the shit I read is true about dragging his friends outside until midnight to throw balls, drilling balls into the couch constantly, throwing at street lights, etc, etc. The thing I remember most about Lee being in Dallas is his semi complaining that Romo wore him out getting him to stay long after practice.

I wish I had saved a copy of the articles I read, I don't think I'm dreaming this stuff up

I don't dispute Romo had good things to say about Lee.

My thing is he is not some "QB Whisperer" or offensive genius like some make him out to be. He's a journeyman type coach that has bounced all over.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sanjay Lal, who was the wide receivers coach with the Indianapolis Colts in 2017, is interviewing with the Cowboys, according to multiple sources. The Cowboys have also met with Miles Austin about the opening. Lal has also worked with Oakland, Buffalo and the New York Jets.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't dispute Romo had good things to say about Lee.

My thing is he is not some "QB Whisperer" or offensive genius like some make him out to be. He's a journeyman type coach that has bounced all over.

so who do you want?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Ah hell nah, ain't that easy bro, you can't go steppin' out and expect to be let right back in the front door!

I think he should have to do an American Idol like competition with Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, Julius Jones, Troy Hambrick & Derrick Lassic with the winner getting the job

Reaction score
Ah hell nah, ain't that easy bro, you can't go steppin' out and expect to be let right back in the front door!

I think he should have to do an American Idol like competition with Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, Julius Jones, Troy Hambrick & Derrick Lassic with the winner getting the job

LOL

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
5 Comparisons: Cowboys' Jason Garrett vs Super Bowl head coaches
By: Donrey Mariñas

Jason Garrett and his staff have missed the playoffs for the fifth time in his seven seasons as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. There was plenty of speculation by media and fans alike 2017’s failure could be it for the Princeton alumnus. Ultimately the Cowboys front office elected to stand by Garrett for at least one more year, citing the importance of continuity.

At what point does continuity turn into redundancy? When will enough be enough, and at what point does Jerry Jones need to cut his losses?

Here’s a look at how the 2016 NFL Coach of the Year stacks up against the 14 coaches who have won their first Super Bowl since after the salary cap was implemented, analyzing age, tenure, resume, roster building and inherited talent.

Garrett: 51

Garrett is above the average. While not necessarily a detriment, it should be taken into consideration only six of the 14 are older than Garrett is now.

Barry Switzer (DAL)
Dick Vermeil (STL)
Tom Coughlin (NYG)
Pete Carroll (SEA)
Gary Kubiak (DEN)

Average time for coach to win championship from hire: 4 seasons
Garrett total HC time with Dallas: 7 seasons

3 of the 14 first-time winners of Super Bowls were hired prior to the cap era. Of those hired since, five years is the longest amount of time it took any of them to win. The slow pokes were Tony Dungy (IND), Mike McCarthy (GB) and John Harbaugh (BAL).

The average was four years, with Jon Gruden (TAM) and Kubiak winning it all in their first year at the helm. Looking at this, the data suggests that if Garrett hasn’t figure it out by now, his eighth season, he never will.

Average experience prior to hire: 12.76 seasons
Garrett: 6

At the time Garrett was promoted from offensive coordinator, he had six years of NFL coaching experience; two with the Miami Dolphins as QB coach before coming to Dallas.

Only Mike Tomlin (PIT) had as little NFL experience as Garrett and has ended up taking home a title.

Only one coach had less experience when he was hired, Dallas’ Switzer, who was hired with absolutely no NFL locations on his resume.

Average selections between hire and championship: 24.48
draft picks made by Cowboys under Garrett: 57

Most of the time when a new head coach is named it is to turn a team around, and the best way to do that is to draft well. Drafting well should establish a foundation and culture for the team that is in line with the Head Coach’s vision for success.

This April’s draft will mark the eighth time that Garrett has sat in the HC’s seat in the Cowboys draft day war room. In his tenure he has selected more than double the average amount it took for the winning coaches to form a Championship squad.

Garrett has made more selections than any of the 14 coaches at the time of their championship win, 10 more picks than the McCarthy, who made 47 before winning his first title. When it came to the average selection per year, the average championship coach made 7.96 selections each year while the former Cowboys QB made an average of 8.14.

Average number of Pro-Bowl players when hired: 3.6
Average number of Pro-Bowl players on Championship teams: 5.5
Pro-Bowl players on roster when Garrett was hired: 6

Witten, Matt McBriar, DeMarcus Ware, Andre Gurode, Miles Austin, and Jay Ratliff were all named to the 2010 Pro-Bowl the year Dallas finished 6-10 and fired HC Wade Phillips mid-way through the season. The following January, Garrett was officially promoted to full-time coach.

Since his elevation, Garrett has fielded just two teams which produced as many or more Pro-Bowl players than when he was first hired. In 2014 Dallas had eight Pro Bowlers and in 2016 had six. Only Switzer and the 95 Dallas Cowboys had more Pro-Bwolers with 10 and are the only team in the study that has won a Super Bowl with double-digit Pro-Bowl selections.

Only Kubiak and Switzer inherited more Pro-Bowlers than Garrett, while Gruden and Brian Billick both had six in their first years as HC.

Thats really just the tip of the iceberg when comparing that red loser to good coaches.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

More than Bill Parcels?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know. I don't think it matters much as long as Garrett stays HC.

No QB position coach makes or breaks a franchise anyway.

They just make or break franchise quarterbacks

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They just make or break franchise quarterbacks

Unless you can show me some info to back that up, it's just lip service.

I am quite sure there are examples of good QB's who didn't have elite QB coaches and some really talented guys who came into the league, had good QB coaches and still didn't pan out.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Solari has a good rep as OL coach, IIRC he nearly joined Wade's staff here for us in 2007 but Garrett preferred Hudson Houck.

Solari was also an assistant under Tom Landry here in the late 80's

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Its Crapreport so take it with a grain of salt.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Rams go 4-12 last season. They promptly fire Jeff Fisher before the season is even over. They hire the youngest HC in NFL History who takes his team from the worst scoring offense in the NFL to the best all in a single season. Then proceed to make the playoff the in his first year after going 11-6 and look to be a strong contender for years to come

The Cowboys go 4-12, fire no one, make no changes to the coaching staff, and are told to “trust the process”

Top Bottom