icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dont know much about Lal but I am wondering if they have reached a point where a) they only get those who need the money bad enough to work here and b) realize this could be a one year gig which thins the pool even more.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

File that away, Watkins is a free agent and because of his injury history he might not get a mega deal on the open market.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
File that away, Watkins is a free agent and because of his injury history he might not get a mega deal on the open market.

yes watkins

welcome to dallas-- the home of 2nd chances!!!

hello-Dallas-1.jpg

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good point dbair, wonder if they are planning to go after Watkins.

Only thing is, following the Rams this year, he didn't do much. Certainly didn't live up to his reputation. Wouldn't want to overspend for him too much.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Good point dbair, wonder if they are planning to go after Watkins.

Only thing is, following the Rams this year, he didn't do much. Certainly didn't live up to his reputation. Wouldn't want to overspend for him too much.

Well if there's one thing we've learned the past 2 or 3 free agent cycles, we wont overspend on anyone.

If the Rams don't franchise him (seems like a stretch that they would) then he may not find any big money deals out there for him until he shows he can stay healthy and have a productive year. If he has a breakout yr for us, gives more freedom to dump Dez Bryant after the 2018 season (if they don't dump him before)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
he may not find any big money deals out there for him until he shows he can stay healthy and have a productive year. If he has a breakout yr for us, gives more freedom to dump Dez Bryant after the 2018 season (if they don't dump him before)
Makes me wonder if Dallas has anyone in their "braintrust" with even this amount of straight-up strategic thought.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if Dallas has anyone in their "braintrust" with even this amount of straight-up strategic thought.

They probably do, but Dez is one of Jerry's "special children" so it probably wont matter

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

That's a big part of why we got him I'm sure.

I saw the stat at seasons end, we ranked 4th worst this past yr in % of drop backs pressured, and it seemed particularly bad the 2nd half of the season.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I saw the stat at seasons end, we ranked 4th worst this past yr in % of drop backs pressured, and it seemed particularly bad the 2nd half of the season.

That’s all fine and dandy, and I hope that he can help keep Dak protected. Maybe that will help him protect the ball better this season.

Hopefully it doesn’t come at the expense of our productive run game

Reaction score
It seems, finally, the Cowboys have learned their lesson about over paying for FA's. Its a smart move. I have nothing against signing a FA that is young and on the upswing. 2nd contract with upside. Its a huge mistake to waste resources on old used up faded stars looking for a big last payday.

Reaction score

Alexander is average at best.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's some more from Owning's write up on Alexander

Well, today we have a differing opinion from John Owning of the Fanrags Sports Network. He agrees that Alexander will bring change as Halprin noted, but is not dismissive of the move like Walker.

Owning, as is his wont, breaks down film to illustrate why he thinks Alexander’s arrival in Dallas might be a good thing.

Do yourself a favor and check out the whole article, as it’s well-written, concise and provides several notable insights. Specifically:

The popular narrative regarding Alexander is he primarily runs a power-blocking scheme. In reality, Alexander ran more than 50% zone blocking schemes in Cincinnati.

Changes in run-blocking concepts will be subtle and will include more plays with pulling lineman and combination schemes (with one side using man-on-man blocking and the other using a two-man zone scheme)

Real change is more likely to come in the pass protection department. Alexander teaches a “low hands” technique designed to keep offensive lineman from losing their balance. In addition, lineman are taught to use their hands independently, rather than together in a traditional two-handed “punch” technique. Owning thinks La’el Collins, in particular, could benefit from this technique.

One last nugget worth noting, using Owning’s own words:

But as unorthodox as his techniques are, it is hard to argue that they aren’t effective — the Bengals, on average, allowed the least amount of QB hits in the NFL from 2009-2015, per Pro Football Focus. This year, Dallas — with three-All-Pros — allowed 26 QB hits (15th most in the NFL) while Cincinnati — a team without a single Pro Bowler on its offensive line — allowed just 10 QB hits (least in the NFL).

It’s an interesting, insightful read and, just maybe, illustrates the Cowboys’ front office might know what they’re doing.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hang to your hats,I actually view this as a positive move.

Top Bottom